View Full Version : Above & Beyond - Vehicle - Oct00
08-22-2002, 03:30 AM
Here is my entry for this contest. This is my first contest and one of my first models. C&C welcome. Here are a few shots.
08-22-2002, 03:35 AM
08-22-2002, 03:38 AM
I like the detail on the engine, although i'm not sure on the spirals, on either side, what is their purpose?
08-22-2002, 03:40 AM
Last one I promise. Sorry that they are so big but I did try to conpress them. It is still a W.I.P. but i am all out of sugestions. I really need some help!
08-22-2002, 03:42 AM
The spirals pull in air and move the aircraft forward. Thanks for the quick reply.
08-22-2002, 04:03 AM
Only Reply :annoyed: my other post which i deleated sunk to the third page. I need some Crit and suggestions. Common people. Please. Hwta do you think of the concept?
08-22-2002, 10:52 AM
I like it but i think its a bit empty, you could try putting the balloon underneath the platform, and have two spirals at one end.
08-22-2002, 01:29 PM
i like your idea of how that thing moves very much - very creative and unique!! U should try to think about its final look and give it a good overall shape. when u know where u are going u can add many details and/or necessary things like some seat for the pilot, some controls, a hanging ladder, the pilot himself... and so on!!
just dont give it up.. :thumbsup:
 ah yes and i think the spirals are too big, maybe also try to put both of them on one side - as mentioned!
08-22-2002, 03:53 PM
i agree with the others, it's a very unique idea
you should twist those spirals a bit btw (the individual pieces, like the "wings" of an airplane rotor), as they are they wouldn't move any air, they'd just rotate and nothing would happen =)
08-22-2002, 05:38 PM
08-22-2002, 05:43 PM
08-22-2002, 06:01 PM
Sorry guys i didn't really get to read all of the posts. Thanks guys for the crit and suggestions. I ttryed to modify the roters but it didn't work. I dunno i might try later. Off to go to my sons basketball game.
08-23-2002, 04:23 PM
Ok guys last update.
08-23-2002, 04:39 PM
08-23-2002, 04:43 PM
Last one. I am n expecting much crit because my model sucks compaired to alot of yours. this was my first compitition on cgtalk and i thought that i could learn alot form it but this will be my last.
I would like some C&C but i haven't really gotten much. Thankyou to the guys and gals who posted in this thread with encouraging posts.
You seem to be giving up easily... just don't let that happen, or you'll have missed the whole thing! On the other hand, you also need to have some ideas yourself, don't always ask for C&C and expect 3 to 4 answers each time. Just keep updating and someday you'll find new comments, new ideas and encouraging thoughts!
- Try to rework the nets that hold the balloons to give them a more natural look. Currently, it is too evident that they are part of a sphere with a "wire" material. They are too perfect. If you are working with max, try adding some noise, deform the net so that it looks like it is being pulled up by the balloon but held by the ropes (see Clanger's (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16429&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) net to give you ideas).
- The rope next to the pilot's chair is very unnatural, make it more twisted, like it was left behind rapidly.
- The long rotor that hold the spiral would probably not stay that straight, add some stuff to hold it at the end where there are some balloons.
- In general, try to make that model more dirty, more real. Currently, it looks too much like CGI.
- The motor is very cool, seems to be very detailed, but we can't see much on the picture, you may want to post a close-up view.
Keep going! :bounce:
08-23-2002, 10:47 PM
Thankyou Baal! I really needed that. How do you think i can modify the nets, i have only been using max for 3 months and i don't have the instruction manual. Long Story don't ask.
Ok, if you are using Max 4 or younger (I don't know if this feature was in Max 3), here's a tip for the net:
1. Make a sphere (for the balloon).
2. Duplicate that sphere.
3. Select set a 0,5 value for Hemisphere and choose 'Squash'
4. Add a 'Push' modifier of about 3/20th of the original sphere radius (so for a sphere with a radius of 20, set the value to somewhere near 3)
5. Add a 'Noise' modifier, scale = about 1/5th of the sphere radius, strenght of about 1/20th of the sphere radius for each direction (X, Y and Z)
6. Add an 'Edit Mesh' modifier, select 4 vertex near the bottom of the sphere (for each corner), choose the 'Soft selection' rollout, set a value near 3/2th of the sphere radius then pull the vertexs down. Move them around a bit until you achieve something nice, then apply a 'Wire' material to it.
Here's what I came with, using this method, in about 5 mins.
Hope this helps!
Don't forget the remove the bottom faces of the hemisphere to be sure have no geometry or your net will look weird (I forgot to remove it on my picture, you can see some parts of the net inside the sphere
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.