PDA

View Full Version : real time stereo rendering

miki78
11-01-2004, 05:46 PM
Hi all,
I need your help!!!

I'm working with maya 4.5 unlimited on a dual xeon ws with a wildcat video card.
I need to render two cameras at the same time, on two monitor (dual output).
I need to do this because I am working with real time motion capture, and want to render in stereo projection. I'm going crazy! Please, if you know anything, any plugin, any sw, please help me!!!

Thank you,
Mike.

poly-phobic
11-01-2004, 07:16 PM
maybe ask in the maya forums

shehbahn
11-01-2004, 07:36 PM
>I'm working with maya 4.5 unlimited on a dual xeon ws with a wildcat video card.
so far so good...

>I need to render two cameras at the same time, on two monitor (dual output).
what kind of render ? OpenGL real time or play back 2 movies on 2 monitors.

>I need to do this because I am working with real time motion capture, and want to render in stereo projection.

this is where you really lost me : how do you plan on achieving stereoscopic vision on 2 monitors ? watching them with your nose stuck on a blinder between the monitors ? or are you using the much more common LCD shutter glasses system, in which case you don't need 2 monitors ?

Nimrodicus
11-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Emphasis on "stereo projection" - I don't believe he intended on trying to eyeball two traditional monitors - I believe he is referring to using two Projectors, possibly in conjunction with polarized filters & glasses with polarized lenses. Although it should be relatively easy to get simultaneous dual-monitor output, I am unaware of any hardware/software that would facillitate doing this in stereoscopic fashion.

However, the previous poster does have a great suggestion perhaps without realizing it.

Rather than try to produce stereo using dual-monitor/projection output, why not use the LCD glasses that were mentioned? Because the left/right eye frames can update at 1/2 the refresh hz of the monitor/projector it should work quite well, with the benefit of using just 1 projector. If there is some other special circumstance that would inhibit this please enlighten us and perhaps someone can reccomend something different. I love stereoscopy!

Nimrodicus

miki78
11-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Thank you for such a quick reply...

Emphasis on "stereo projection" - I don't believe he intended on trying to eyeball two traditional monitors - I believe he is referring to using two Projectors, possibly in conjunction with polarized filters & glasses with polarized lenses. Although it should be relatively easy to get simultaneous dual-monitor output, I am unaware of any hardware/software that would facillitate doing this in stereoscopic fashion.
ehm.. i apologize for my english...
Yes, i need to render my output to 2 projectors.

Rather than try to produce stereo using dual-monitor/projection output, why not use the LCD glasses that were mentioned? Because the left/right eye frames can update at 1/2 the refresh hz of the monitor/projector it should work quite well, with the benefit of using just 1 projector. If there is some other special circumstance that would inhibit this please enlighten us and perhaps someone can reccomend something different. I love stereoscopy!
Yes: we stricly need this kind of projection.

so far so good...
We have a plugin for real time rendering that only works with maya 2.5 and now (yes, in this moment!!!) I'm trying to make it work under 4.5. However it doesn't work with stereoscopy (see dual output) and i really don't know what can i do. In addition, I downloaded a plugin (stereoCamera) from Alias website, that works only with 4.5 or later versions and it doesn't change anything in rendering.

Maybe i found a solution, but i'm not sure, and haven't tested it anyway: a splitter for the stereo head mounted dysplay output, but I have too few time...

Thanx! ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.