PDA

View Full Version : ThirdParty Voxels/HyperVoxels Please

Julez4001
11-01-2004, 04:09 PM
How is it that 3dsmax hasso many voxel alternatives?
It seem like they always have somethingor the other and the quality of each are so good.
I am. however ignortant to thier render times. Ijust wish that Ihad a faster solution for voxel smoke. The post stuff is great for linear 2d shots but the tracking, 3ddepth moves and swirling animations must be from lw render.

WillCameron
11-01-2004, 08:08 PM
we need to get some talented programers to work on the old wavefilter volume
plugin:

http://www.wavefilter.com/OpenSourceProject.htm

judging by the images in the gallery, it looks sweet, and supposedly very fast.

- Will.

architook
11-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Is this a totally stupid idea?

But would it be possible for someone to write a LW volumetric plugin which ACTED like a 3DS Max host for a 3DS Max volumetric/voxel tool? Then we could all use the Max tools in LW.

Seems possible but hard. It's certainly possible for something like a LW renderman shader language interpreter.

uncon
11-01-2004, 08:27 PM
What volume tools exist that are so great? Post some links please! I haven't used Lightwave hypervoxels in a really long time, I usually use hypervoxel sprites because they are so fast.

Fasty
11-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Afterburn looks pretty spiffy. Check out http://www.wonderslime.com/main.html under the "tutorials" section.

uncon
11-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Maya Paint FX are pretty cool, although not avolume effect still a 3d-particle type effect.

SplineGod
11-02-2004, 12:23 AM
One trick Ive used over the years that can have faster results then HVs is to create a group of closely stacked pollys. I apply a procedural texture to the transparency channel with falloff to create a fake volumetric element. Those can be fxlinked to particles. :)

Julez4001
11-02-2004, 01:13 AM
take for instance, the new WarHammer Video from Blur, it just reminded (like CeeGee & other Blizzard videos) that they have Maxs internal solution, afterburner, and a few freebie beta solutions. We only have one. I am referencing thick volumetric smoke. I have been able to make fire with no problems using several different techiques (I love sprites) but i want more volumetric smoke solutions. [Whine mode off]

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.