PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40,000 Cinematic - Interview with Blur

Leonard
11-01-2004, 03:38 AM
Hi all,

I recently interviewed Dave Wilson and Paul Taylor from Blur Studio on the making of the Warhammer 40,000 cinematics. This is a very exclusive article and I'm excited to be able to share it with all of you, along with some exclusive footage showing the progressions, and the whole cinematic.

>> Making of Warhammer 40,000 Cinematics << (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=2538)

Thanks to Dave and Paul for the interview - I know how busy you guys are and am so grateful that you could take some time out to put this together. Also a big thanks to Lisa Thurston, our Assistant Editor, as always for doing a great job editing and putting the article together.

I hope that you all enjoy it!

PS: You need to be a registered CGTalk member to watch the full cinematics on CGFilms.

Leonard Teo

http://www.cgnetworks.com/stories/2004_10/warhammer/persist.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=2538)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/stories/2004_10/warhammer/smoky.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=2538)

RockinAkin
11-01-2004, 03:50 AM
One of the best game cinematics I've ever seen, and even more incredible when you consider the short time period they made it in.
Great work as always from Blur. :thumbsup:

hypercube
11-01-2004, 03:53 AM
Great stuff indeed, always interesting to know more behind-the-scenes. Kudos again CGN.

btw the formatting on page 1 comes out way off in IE, at least for me it did..might want to check that.

Darklord101
11-01-2004, 04:11 AM
simply jaw dropping .. amazing

LisaT
11-01-2004, 04:25 AM
btw the formatting on page 1 comes out way off in IE, at least for me it did..might want to check that. Sorry, my bad. Fixed. Sometimes IE is so weird :shrug:

Dave Black
11-01-2004, 04:26 AM
I loved this cinematic the first time I saw it. Simply awsome work from our friends at Blur.

Leo, I gotta say, you are really on the ball with these interviews. That was a very fast turn around and a great read. Thanks!

-Dave

Brettzies
11-01-2004, 04:28 AM
Finally!!! You can watch it without the demo installed! Is it me, or is it more gore-y? Man, the highres stills look awesome.

Keeper.

ashrumm
11-01-2004, 04:38 AM
Awesome interiview, and not only was it an awesome interview the game cinematic was also one of the greatest I have ever seen. It is so nice to get the inside scoop on the production of a cg cinematic. The things that go wrong the things that work out perfectly, it is always eductational. My hat goes off for Blur Studios they did a tremendous job. :)

Darktwin
11-01-2004, 04:39 AM
Very good interview, very informative from start to finish, I really am a Warhammer 40k Fan, from concept, to novels and books to the game itself. With the time frame Blur had and the final result presented is simply amazing.........amazing. :bowdown:

erilaz
11-01-2004, 04:45 AM
I love the informal style of the answers too. No press-release crap, just people telling us how they love to work. Great read!:D

DJ-Prismatica
11-01-2004, 05:10 AM
Wow! Thanks for sharing that I love 40k, and the info was also very nice.

mrgrundy
11-01-2004, 05:37 AM
:thumbsup: absolutely fantastic cinematic, wonderful interview which was filled with so much info on the whole process.

Geta-Ve
11-01-2004, 05:42 AM
i wish there was a direct link to the actual cinematic :( i cant seem to view it

lanedaughtry
11-01-2004, 05:56 AM
I drug anyone and everyone around over to my machine to see this short when the demo for this game first came out.

Amazing work.

-L

leuey
11-01-2004, 06:01 AM
ok - that was really cool. I could watch an hour of that. Just to bitch a little though - why would the Orcs attack entrenched machine gunners with axes and hammers? Oh well, that's not much to gripe about.

-Greg

MKStudios
11-01-2004, 06:32 AM
I think it was way too short! I coulda watched about another hour or two at least. :D

I've been a WH40K miniatures gamer since the mid 80's and this was just the icing on the cake. Hopefully from the huge resonse this is getting it will light a fire under the ass of GW to start developing an actual feature.

Bring on the Eldar!

HCompston
11-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Awesome animation. Blur should do a short film. About 2 hours will suffice :)

H

ashrafahmed
11-01-2004, 08:31 AM
it is good work for short time cg cinematic ( blur ).

but it didn't made something new (as Art vision)

it is normal work

ashrafahmed
11-01-2004, 08:32 AM
it is good work for short time cg cinematic ( blur ).

but it didn't made something new (as Art vision)

it is normal work

giza-di
11-01-2004, 09:14 AM
perfect intro

this cinematic has been more dramatic than any recent film production i just happened to watch lately:bowdown:

hesido
11-01-2004, 09:45 AM
Superb work, and within such a small timeframe..

I noticed (as a still was provided on the interview page) the first explosion (on the leg of the brifge) doesn't cast any shadows, and the second one after that (one on ground) casts a shadow but it is too soft. I noticed it as I saw the still, it goes by in action, not much of a problem.

adam-b
11-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Really, one of the best game-cinematics i've ever seen. Also cool behind the scenes videos...

Reinier
11-01-2004, 12:15 PM
Amazing work for such a short period of time. Great job Blur!

- Reinier

novalism
11-01-2004, 01:03 PM
amazing job indeed in 4weeks!:applause:
I'm spoiled I kno
In the end the spacecrafts shuld be fighting aswell ... not hoovering

LordDubu
11-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Long live the god-emperor! Holy crap. Love 40K.

LordDubu
11-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Oh and I also wanted to add:

I have daydreamed since the age of 14 of a 40K movie. Only in recent years have I actually thought it could be done well. This animation has me convinced that if it was handled by someone who really REALLY loved the Games Workshop product (not some hackjob thrown together by marketing see: AvP, RE:Apocalypse et al, but someone who really had an intimate knowledge of the mythology and indepth world history) could make an epic scale movie which was everything Starship Troopers SHOULD HAVE BEEN times elleventy billion.

In short, this cinematic is absolutely the coolest thing I have seen in years, without exageration. So much so I suddenly feel the urge to go and waste my paychecks on tiny pewter figurines and paints again.

max_5
11-01-2004, 05:48 PM
I have to agree that that is an awesome cinematic, Blur never dissapoints.
I also found what the modeling/texturing guy said: "We had one week to complete ALL the modeling and texturing for Dawn of War". That is faster than I thought, even for them. I wonder how many of them there were in that team.

DiscreetDave
11-01-2004, 06:20 PM
I have to agree that that is an awesome cinematic, Blur never dissapoints.
I also found what the modeling/texturing guy said: "We had one week to complete ALL the modeling and texturing for Dawn of War". That is faster than I thought, even for them. I wonder how many of them there were in that team.
The credits listed quite a team - looks like they busted some A!

Beautiful work!

daddyo
11-01-2004, 06:55 PM
finally, Games Workshop is publishing some high end stuff based on their awesome mythos. Its time they did it, instead of some OTHER studio, ripping the space marine concept from them and making millions off of it.

Im not pointing fingers or anything.

LordDubu
11-01-2004, 07:05 PM
Hey let's be fair. Even Warhammer used to admit they "borrowed" heavily. Space marines being inspired by Heinlein's 1959 "Starship Troopers". Rogue Trader came out when? Like circa 1980?I love 40K. But there's about 100 sources that Games Workshop openly rips concepts from. Not that it's an issues since they do a good job of adepting the mythos to thier own awesome mytho-poetic-world.

Rabid pitbull
11-01-2004, 07:31 PM
I am not able to view this movie using mozilla, I do have quicktime pro installed. Very strange a direct link would be much appreciated.

SpeccySteve
11-01-2004, 07:56 PM
Maybe try the download link from here?
http://www.dawnofwargame.com/downloads/

Failing that, I think the intro movie was on Fileplanet, the demo certainly was but that's quite a hefty download for 90 seconds I suppose..good game anyway so probably worth it.

ambas
11-01-2004, 08:30 PM
oh yes. yes! this is awsome :bounce:

Rabid pitbull
11-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Thanks speccysteve that link worked fine. Really awesome to watch too. :thumbsup:

Dutchman
11-01-2004, 08:57 PM
To me this feels like one of the best CGNetworks features ever! Just very 'wow' to read 3 pages full of info about this amazing intro!!! Allot tnx, Leonard, for 'sharing' it! :)

Redf
11-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Really cool,thanks for this.:thumbsup:

thx1138
11-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Argh !!
I'm totally speachless..........my god that was awesome :bounce:

.......I'll crawl back under my rock now.

SpeccySteve
11-02-2004, 12:08 AM
To me this feels like one of the best CGNetworks features ever! Just very 'wow' to read 3 pages full of info about this amazing intro!!! Allot tnx, Leonard, for 'sharing' it! :)I enjoyed it too, to me the cool thing was that it wasn't so much a typical "Pixar / ILM" article, it was more a relatively obscure* pc game intro that sneaked in under the radar and got hyped through word of mouth and general chat.

No huge PR / hype, just that cool game intro / fmv you told your mate about..

(* While I say "relatively obscure", I do realise it was a big budget game with intros made by a famous studio, it's also being released in the same quarter as Doom3, Halo2, GTA: San Andreas and Half Life2..)

Edit: For me at least, it's worth watching because I now kinda understand why you'd want to use render passes...

/ consults manual..

Obi-Wan Kenobi
11-02-2004, 02:16 AM
WOW! VERY cool stuff.....I've never played the game but that first clip was worth seeing twice! :)

Jimmy_Dublo
11-02-2004, 02:23 AM
Absolutely stunning movie. When I first watch it I was in awe.
Great work.

:bounce:

pascal_blanche
11-02-2004, 03:05 AM
kickass work guys, really!:thumbsup:

SpiralFace
11-02-2004, 07:06 AM
Loved the movie when I picked up the game, and the interview was realy good too.

They did an amazing job for something they pumped out in a few weeks. I hope I get a chance to work with people as devoted as they seem to be.

For anyone who likes Real Time Stratagy games out there, the game is realy good as well. Worth picking up if your into Warcraft 3 and the like.

Luke Mrozek
11-02-2004, 10:58 AM
This was one of the best cinematics I have ever seen done for a game, and I must admit it's a masterpiece for me. If You consider that it was done in such short time it's really magnificent.

They have cathed the atmosphere of a WH40K battlefield superbly!

Tarscher
11-02-2004, 12:27 PM
This one even surpasses Blizzard quality. The camerawork is top notch

chaoticreality
11-02-2004, 03:19 PM
The cinematics are truly amazing. From the quality I've seen these guys could easily produce truly amazing cg feature films.

Best of luck to the people at Blur Studios and hope to see more of their amazing work in the future.

Acree
11-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Hey I got this game and the cut scenes in the actual game are pretty cool too. Haven't these guys done the other warhammer games like Chaos gate or was that another group? Not sure. Anyhow it is really amazing the type of complex animation here, I really think they could go on to produce far greater things!!

Coltzero
11-02-2004, 04:00 PM
I've played the game, and it rocks! whoever is an old rusty dude here probably played the game Warhammer, in which you had 2 paint those tiny little soldiers. This is the pcgame version of that game. I've played the demo, and its very cool! the intro was the thing that astonished me most....actualy :o)

CZ

Acree
11-02-2004, 06:17 PM
I've played the game, and it rocks! whoever is an old rusty dude here probably played the game Warhammer, in which you had 2 paint those tiny little soldiers. This is the pcgame version of that game. I've played the demo, and its very cool! the intro was the thing that astonished me most....actualy :o)

CZ
Err I'm 14 and I'm a player of both; I was asking about Chaos gate (another warhammer 40k PC game).

arona
11-02-2004, 07:23 PM
great interview and in time.
but really i dont think so that its the best cinematic of game i ever seen. actually its not stunning at all. in the first view i noticed many stuffes that it doesnt bring me to where it should. i just wathced it like ... . i cant compare this cinematic with what blizzard did for warcraft(im not comparing and im not doing anyother thing), really perhaps i shouldnt because of different aspects.
but overall i dont think that any one else could do better job than this in that period. so good job blur guys.

daart
11-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Great cinematic! And, ladies and gentleman, Blur used 3ds max to do it!
Itīs great to see max in such a high end movie.
Hope to see a full length film produced by Blur soon!

MarkD
11-02-2004, 10:05 PM
What is really amazing is the quality and the time frame it was done it. I remeber thinking when I saw the cinematic (when I loaded the demo) my jaw hit the floor and I thought to myself "oh they must have used the whole dev cycle to make this". Then I find out the turn around time was 3-4 weeks! WOW! BIG FAT KUDOS TO EVERYONE INVOLVED!

Thanks for the article, nuggests like this, that let us see into the dark back rooms of such places like these are really things to be treasured...

Err I'm 14 and I'm a player of both; I was asking about Chaos gate (another warhammer 40k PC game).
I played Chaos Gate, was a great game, one of my favorites for a VERY long time.

I also have played both the table top and PC version. I was amazed at how well a Turn Based Strat game was translated into the world of Real Time Strat. In my opinion it is as close to living out an actual battle as you can get.

LordDubu
11-02-2004, 10:50 PM
I've just watched this for the umpteen zillionth time. I cannot get enough of it. Maybe I'm emotionally charged having been a fan of WH40K since "Rogue Trader" back in the 80s.

I still get an emotional charge out of the dramatic entrance of the dreadnaught, a sense of impending doom when the same Titan is ultimately destroyed, and a sense of fatalistic honor when the dying captain manages to keep the "Blood Raven" standard erect despite it all.

Man, the guys at Blur responsible for this show a clear love for the game itself. This is exactly how I pictured these battles in my imagination as I rolled dice over the static battlefields of my youth.

*edited cause I'm an idiot and called a dreadnaught a titan... how embarrassing.

soulburn3d
11-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Best of luck to the people at Blur Studios and hope to see more of their amazing work in the future.
As do I, amazing work dudes, although I hope that next time you're given WAY more than 4 weeks to complete the project so you can take a moment or two to sleep and eat.

- Neil
Former blurite

lapinstudios
11-02-2004, 11:45 PM
incredible cinematics, each studio just keeps pushing the limits, can't wait to see what they can do next year.

denil
11-03-2004, 04:49 AM
i havn't seen the whole thing yet, but wht i saw was awsome man. warhammer 40,000 is a master piece. man i hope someday i can make something like that, it wud be a dream come true:thumbsup:

a1ph0r
11-03-2004, 05:00 AM
Great article, the games really cool too :scream: !

AA_Tyrael
11-03-2004, 08:38 AM
Can someone give me a direct non javascript link ?

I have to give credit to microsoft for theyr excellent as always work on sp 2...,and i dont wanna dl 360 mb just to see the video :(

impulseone
11-03-2004, 09:39 AM
TRuly brilliant work!!conveys the violent-dramatic WH40k atmosphere very nicely..Great stuff..a dream project...!!maybe a collaborative project sometime:-)

Bustasnipez
11-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Badass animation.. I would say its my second favorite game cinematic, but the best I have ever seen is the cinematic from Onimusha 3.. DAMN if you havn't seen that one yet you MUST SEE IT!
I wish a movie would come out that looks as dope as either of those cinematics.. I would crap my pants... acually I'd probably just watch it.

AA_Tyrael
11-03-2004, 10:27 AM
puh....

I read 4 pages of ur comments,readed the interview ,saw the AWESOME screenshots and... cant dl it :cry:

:banghead:

I am gonna microsft :wip:

Acree
11-03-2004, 04:34 PM
I do really like this game, I'm near the end of it now and I find it compleatly awsome.

My dads played it an all the levels, now, I do think that is an achievement.

Critterslayer
11-03-2004, 04:47 PM
hey how do I save these movie files??

guereja_1
11-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Leonard,
I think you should have posted a warning about gore and violence. I wasn't expecting so much bloodiness and so many cutting of body parts. I know some of you may disagree on me with this and say, so? but i think just for the sake of it, there should have been a warning. it would have prepared me for the gore.
But i do agree that the cinematic is fantastic and has amazing VFX. I just could have done with a little less blood. that's all.

kerosene
11-03-2004, 06:09 PM
The gore comment is valid. Warning might have been appropriate. I think the clip has right amount of bones, blood and tendons but it is for mature tittle and the video certainly is not "pg-13".

Heikki

Q_B
11-03-2004, 06:27 PM

CZ Heheheheh Colt, i'm 30 (am i an old dude? AM I? :eek: ) and i play Warhammer ... yes the tabletop game in wich you, not only PAINT the models, but also assemble them, glue and priming and cutting and all that neat stuff... believe it or not, there are teenager players also! I usually play the Fantasy Warhammer game thou, u know, with elfs, undeads, etc etc... :twisted:

HCompston
11-03-2004, 07:14 PM
LOL Im 34 and play Dawn of War. Still saving up for enough dice to play the TT version :)

ashrumm
11-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Yes, I think most of us agree when I say we are extremely greatful for blur doing an exclusive with Cgnetworks. What made this event so awe-inspiring in my opinion was not only the great work Blur has produced but also the sincere responses to the questions given to them. I have an even greater respect for blur studios, for letting us the public get an inside look at the process of the Dawn Of War cinematic trailer.

Thanks alot Blur studios Warhammer 40k rocks way to tackle a tough project with a limited time interval!! I hope we will continue to see great work from you guys! :)

DeathCry
11-03-2004, 10:19 PM
I think this is the most amazing thing i ever seen! And also Warhammer 40,000 is one of my favourite hobbies and my favourite character is Orks.

I am gonna get this game soon! sound fun, and saving this movie clip to my file, i just think it awesome

LisaT
11-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Can someone give me a direct non javascript link? Direct link to play movie:
http://www.cgnetworks.com/mediaplayer.php?movie_id=41

SpeccySteve
11-04-2004, 03:01 AM
Leonard,
I think you should have posted a warning about gore and violence. I wasn't expecting so much bloodiness and so many cutting of body parts. I know some of you may disagree on me with this and say, so? but i think just for the sake of it, there should have been a warning. it would have prepared me for the gore.
But i do agree that the cinematic is fantastic and has amazing VFX. I just could have done with a little less blood. that's all.It's the intro movie for an "16+ / R? " certificate game ( in the UK at least ) no-one below 16 should even have played the game, most of the intro movie links posted require you to specifically declare that you are over 16 and anyone vaguely familiar with the inherently violent WH40K history / backstory would know it's not really suitable for kids.
I think a bit of common sense is required here..

PaulNBurns
11-04-2004, 03:14 AM
I've watched this maybe 20x since I bought the game in late September. I can't believe they pulled it off in < 5 weeks and I also can't believe THQ only gave them 5 weeks!

I wish they used the predator tank a little more. It looks like a turret in the first shot where the camera is way above it moving towards it. And it isn't much more than a prop in the next shot until it gets blown away. The ariel shot shows that it is close to a squad of marines but they aren't shown getting knocked around by the artillery hit.

The dread uses it's auto cannon to kick up some serious dust but what is it shooting at? If blur had more time they could have given it some orks to take out.

It took several viewings to realize one of the orks put a sticky bomb on the dread.

It took several viewings to realize that the space marine didn't have a flamer but was being fried by a burna boy ork.

They could have used 3 times as many orks rushing towards the marines cause the orks make up for their lack of serious hardware with massive numbers of boyz.

The rapid camera angle swaps is something I've never liked and find painfull to watch. Its becoming more common these days in action films. I take it that if they had more time there wouldn't be so many cuts.

I like the way the characters move and the visceral close combat is awesome. The dread tossing the ork around is awesome just like in the game.

I'd say blur did an awesome job but if they were approached by THQ sooner they could have made it twice as good.

BTW Warhammer has no aerial units other than a transport that never goes into combat so thats why you don't see them in combat. However, the force commander can call in an orbital strike, and there are assault troops with jump jets.

In reference to the comment that Blizzard is better than this piece by Blur - Blizzard has only recently come up with some top notch animation - I'm refering to WarCraft 3. Their old stuff from Diablo 2 and StarCraft doesn't look so good anymore.

arona
11-04-2004, 05:35 AM
In reference to the comment that Blizzard is better than this piece by Blur - Blizzard has only recently come up with some top notch animation - I'm refering to WarCraft 3. Their old stuff from Diablo 2 and StarCraft doesn't look so good anymore.
im agree about your criticizes overall.

i didnt say that Blizzard WORKS is better than blurs(even that i think is better). but just in "Warcraft3 Reign of chaos" we have couple of stunning (...award winning) cinematics.
i think this is the last one for worldofwarcraft. just watch and you will see what im calling best ever cinematic.
http://www.dogma-guild.org/viewtopic.php?p=416#416

BTW as i said im not comparing (comparing for what it has no result except...) and i mentioned the deadline that blur had :)

StaticT
11-04-2004, 05:53 AM
Awesome to see the responses of everyone :) FYI iI'm one of those punk-teenage kids who play the TT....just so happens Orks were my army :)

I think Blur did an amazing job not only for producing such a great-quality short in a condensed timeframe, but also for adhering to the spirit of the world of Warhammer 40k. It is a bleak future, ravaged by war, where any weapon goes. There was an earlier comment regarding why Orks would even attack the bunkered marines...

For those of you who have played the game (Either TT or DoW), you'll come to realize Orks are funky weird :) They fight for... , well, to fight! I thought the short really captured the visceral combat that is described in the world, as well as the unexpected turn of events that occur in the games! Example: when the Dread joins in the fight, it seems like it would go the Marine's way....but a bad roll of the dice (hehe) and the sticky-bomb makes short work of 400 pts of monstrous -ork kililing machine...

I agree....They seriiously need to make a lot more footage of thist kinda stuff....*droool* I'd love to see a short of a squad completely surrounded and *shaken*, and in comes a term-squad that totally obliterates the opposition!!! until a seriously grisly Ork Warboss wades through a sea of orks to challenge the sargeant...they face each other, weapons raised, cut :P

*sighs*

Q_B
11-04-2004, 09:39 AM
"...but a bad roll of the dice (hehe) and the sticky-bomb makes short work of 400 pts of monstrous -ork kililing machine..."
LOL yeah we can see you play the tabletop, StaticT!

I haven't played DoW yet... hope it captures the ever-changing twists of fortune so well as the "rolling dices" do in the tabletop version of the game!

Also anxious to see what more cinematics there are in the game? Can anyone gimme a hint?

Laa-Yosh
11-04-2004, 10:46 AM

The direction and storytelling in Blizzard's past work is still cool IMHO. They've obviously made a huge jump in character animation after Diablo 2, but both those cinematics and the larger ones in StarCraft are totally film-like. Then Warcraft 3 added the top quality production values to this.

Now the first Blur movie that has managed to work pretty good as a film to me was the Wolfenstein intro... and despite its content looking a bit dated, you can still enjoy it to this day as well. We'll see how Warhammer holds up ;)

MiguelSilva
11-04-2004, 11:46 AM
hey how do I save these movie files??
Look on your temp net files or...use the save feature in Quick Time Pro.

OTO-ACP
11-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Yop :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: !!!... Fantastic, splendid, superb!!!... Without comments...

PaulNBurns
11-04-2004, 04:08 PM
The actual game has no other animation - only in game cut scenes and these aren't so great. Mostly lots of dudes standing still talking with no lipsync. The storyline isn't too bad. If you roll the credits there are some very cool close combat animations shown (gore warning!). Also you can move the camera anywhere in the game and from certain angles the battles look very cool. I like the animation where a marine uses his foot to pry a dead enemy off his sword (more quality gore). You can turn off the blood in the graphics options though.

LoTekK
11-04-2004, 04:57 PM
3-4 weeks from start to finish? That's amazing! I remember forcing my girlfriend to sit through the intro after I watched it for the first time. I loved the energy of the piece, and the camerawork was fantastic (I remember thinking of SPR and Band of Brothers as some major influences there). Kudos to Blur.

Acree
11-04-2004, 06:28 PM
I think this is the most amazing thing i ever seen! And also Warhammer 40,000 is one of my favourite hobbies and my favourite character is Orks.

I am gonna get this game soon! sound fun, and saving this movie clip to my file, i just think it awesome
:D Hee, hee I play the eldar, they not only look neat, but have the most powerful phykers in all of 40k.

I have a feeling I'm going to be called sad here but hey who cares! Anyhow the table top game is very difficult and I my first game took my and my little bro 6 hours to comepleate and that was only a skirmish, if I remember correctly he ended up wiping out my entire force, that was mean!!! Well I get him back for it sooner or later!:twisted:

The Pc game is also increasingly hard and I think I am gona have to play this a long time to reach the end, enyhow I three quarters of the way through now so it can't be that bad.

Anyone played Firewarrior on the PC. That has some pretty cool graphics too and some really difficult gameplay as well.

Acree
11-04-2004, 06:31 PM
The actual game has no other animation - only in game cut scenes and these aren't so great. Mostly lots of dudes standing still talking with no lipsync. The storyline isn't too bad. If you roll the credits there are some very cool close combat animations shown (gore warning!). Also you can move the camera anywhere in the game and from certain angles the battles look very cool. I like the animation where a marine uses his foot to pry a dead enemy off his sword (more quality gore). You can turn off the blood in the graphics options though.
Your telling me, I think its all relevant though...
The storyline could have been better, I don't want to spoil it for all of you who don't know it yet so I wont say anything more.

Putois_Blagueur
11-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Just take a look at the World Of Warcraft cinematic....
But before, have a seat.
http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/worldofwarcraft/wowintro.avi.html

ENJOY !

Acree
11-04-2004, 06:34 PM
But before, have a seat.

ENJOY !
I played war craft 3 the graphics were great didn't got too much on the story line though.

doobywho
11-04-2004, 10:39 PM
But before, have a seat.

ENJOY !
dont even know what to say about this .... 3dsmax?

Putois_Blagueur
11-05-2004, 06:12 AM
Don't think it's made with 3DMax. But the fact is that Blizzar's cinematic has not been realised in the same short time that Warhammer.
Anyway I've never seen such a beautiful movie.

cbutlerc
11-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Don't think it's made with 3DMax. Yes.... it was made with 3dsmax. :)
Not that it should make a difference though.

LordDubu
11-05-2004, 05:09 PM
The WOW cinematic is completely off-topic and has no place being compared to this cinematic for the following reasons:

1) The ON-TOPIC cinematic is remarkable despite (notice i said DESPITE not considering, or because of) the short time spent on it, not so with the higher budget OFF-TOPIC cinematic, whose only impressive because of its glossy sfx.

2) The ON-TOPIC cinematic tells a story succinctly and invokes emotion, conversly the OFF-TOPIC cinematic is nothing more than a collage of scenes slapped together like the intro to some saturday morning cartoon.

Putois_Blagueur
11-05-2004, 05:51 PM
Saying that this cinematic is off topic is one thing. (that I could agree)
Saying it is not as impressive as the on topic one.....

I agree that there is not really a story in the WoW one, but you must admit that the warhammer story is simple, if not worse... anyway it is awesome, but, to my mind, not for the scenario.

arona
11-05-2004, 05:52 PM
The WOW cinematic is completely off-topic and has no place being compared to this cinematic for the following reasons:

1) The ON-TOPIC cinematic is remarkable despite (notice i said DESPITE not considering, or because of) the short time spent on it, not so with the higher budget OFF-TOPIC cinematic, whose only impressive because of its glossy sfx.

2) The ON-TOPIC cinematic tells a story succinctly and invokes emotion, conversly the OFF-TOPIC cinematic is nothing more than a collage of scenes slapped together like the intro to some saturday morning cartoon.
cinematic of Blizzard does not belong here, yes your right. its a thread about and interview and ... .
but i mentiond it for those who say: its the best cinematic ever i saw. WOW cinemtaic is something overall and yes hasnt that story in it. but you can just consider the quality in this cinematic that is not comparable with some ... .
and on the other hand, the story told befor. if you want story just go and play "warcraft 3 reign of chaos" to see what you can call story, emotion, passion and ... .

i have big interest in Blizzard and their work so i did some... . so im not completely sure but i think its not just Max. as far as i know Blizzard uses Max and Maya both. but yeah maybe most parts done in Max, include hair and ... .

BCazzell
11-06-2004, 05:51 AM
Yes.... it was made with 3dsmax. :)
Not that it should make a difference though.
Nope. It shouldn't matter at all.

The only thing that matters is that it kicks ass. :)

Laa-Yosh
11-06-2004, 10:15 AM
so im not completely sure but i think its not just Max. as far as i know Blizzard uses Max and Maya both. but yeah maybe most parts done in Max, include hair and ... .

Why can't people accept the facts, coming from the Blizzard guys themselves? They are using Max with both custom and commercial stuff and that's it. And does it really matter?

Acree
11-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Why can't people accept the facts, coming from the Blizzard guys themselves? They are using Max with both custom and commercial stuff and that's it. And does it really matter?
I really don't think so.

SpeccySteve
11-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Nope. It shouldn't matter at all.

The only thing that matters is that it kicks ass. :)
Quoted because he's right.

arona
11-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Why can't people accept the facts, coming from the Blizzard guys themselves? They are using Max with both custom and commercial stuff and that's it. And does it really matter?actually im a MAX user. i just tried to tell what i think is true. maybe for teh game their using just MAX, but as far as i know for cinematics their using both MAX and MAYA. at least for animation in some parts i think their using MAYA either.

Laa-Yosh
11-06-2004, 09:19 PM
as far as i know for cinematics their using both MAX and MAYA. at least for animation in some parts i think their using MAYA either.

Where did you get thet info? Because it seems you think you know better then the Blizzard guys themselves...

arona
11-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Where did you get thet info? Because it seems you think you know better then the Blizzard guys themselves...and where did you get your information? if theres some official report, interview or ... can you show to us.
anyway i found it from open jobs they have(as really im interested in working there but still i have long way to go). forexample for cinematics their looking for someone who works with MAX or MAYA :)
ill be glad to know more about them. so if you have some official stuffes ill be glad to hear.

Laa-Yosh
11-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Ever heard about hiring people for their talent, and then training them for the applications and custom tools/workflow used by the company?

And for a source, look for posts (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12625&page=4&pp=15) on this forum and on the official discreet 3ds support forum from John Burnett, TD at Blizzard. He previously maintained a website (footools.com) too, where many of their 3ds max plugins and scripts were available for download. Or ask Fausto Di Martini, one of their modelers who's a regular member here. Or see here (http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfeature.jsp?newsid=2080&pageid=4):
"The cinematic department had such a great relationship with Discreet and Max that we never really considered switching."

Anyway, I won't waste any more time on this, believe whatever you want...

Tripdragon
11-06-2004, 10:06 PM
woa for something that has never changed it's image in a while that looks cool!

arona
11-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Ever heard about hiring people for their talent, and then training them for the applications and custom tools/workflow used by the company?

And for a source, look for posts (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12625&page=4&pp=15) on this forum and on the official discreet 3ds support forum from John Burnett, TD at Blizzard. He previously maintained a website (footools.com) too, where many of their 3ds max plugins and scripts were available for download. Or ask Fausto Di Martini, one of their modelers who's a regular member here. Or see here (http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfeature.jsp?newsid=2080&pageid=4):
"The cinematic department had such a great relationship with Discreet and Max that we never really considered switching."

Anyway, I won't waste any more time on this, believe whatever you want...
i talked from what ever i knew. absolutely now your right. even now it gets much better, im a MAX user and im proud of it.
thanks

RyanDHale
11-07-2004, 11:00 AM
I absoulty loved it amazing work again from blur. I cant believe they did it so quickly just great!

Bliz
11-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Great work on this excellent animation Blur people!

I hope you had [are having] a good rest after this. I can imagine some insane all-nighters going on towards the end of the 4 weeks.

For the record, I think the WH40k cinematic is more successful than the WoW one at communicating the mood, environment and context of the subject matter. The camera work is also carefully planned out in the WH40k one as opposed to some lazy spline path cameras in the WoW cinematic.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.