PDA

View Full Version : Bad Media?

kamrhon
11-01-2004, 01:38 AM
I am having a problem rendering out a Quicktime Movie with After Effects 6.0. When I add my composition to the Render Queue and set it to render, After Effects will reach a point in the composition where it will "fail to add to movie" and abort rendering. I rendered the movie up to the point at which the error occurs, and restarted another render at that point. It renders the second "half" fine, but when I bring them back in to a fresh comp and set it up to render a combination of the two movies, I recieve the same error message. What gives? The message as it appears is "After Effects Error: Adding to movie--Disk error (I/O Error; Bad media) (-36).
(44::39)
Any help will be greatly appreciated....a site I can go to to find a solution.....a work around.....anything.
C

XanderFX
11-21-2004, 10:03 PM
If your file is rendering out over 4GB it sounds like you might be running into the evil windows and FAT32 problem, assuming you are using windows. FAT32 won't allow you to write a file larger than 4GB to the HDD. You might want to check and make sure that your target drive is formatted to NTFS. If not you can convert it using windows.

This is from windows help:
To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt

Open ms-its:d:%5Cwindows%5Chelp%5Cntshared.chm::/shortcutCold.gifCommand Prompt (ms-its:D:%5CWINDOWS%5CHelp%5Cmisc.chm::/EXEC=ConsoleWindowClass,cmd.exe,,%20CHM=ntshared.chm%20FILE=alt_url_windows_component.htm).
In the command prompt window, type convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.

ms-its:d:%5Cwindows%5Chelp%5Cntshared.chm::/note.gif Notes

To open command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
You can convert FAT (HELP=glossary.hlp%20TOPIC=gls_file_allocation_table) or FAT32 (HELP=glossary.hlp%20TOPIC=gls_fat32) volumes to NTFS (HELP=glossary.hlp%20TOPIC=gls_ntfs) with this command.
If you're on a mac I can't help you.

Good luck

(CHM=ntcmds.chm;misc.chm%20META=a_convert;a_choosing_between_NTFS_FAT_and_FAT32;a_ntfs)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.