PDA

View Full Version : Master not found, what now?

javierdl
10-31-2004, 10:58 PM
Can anyone tell me why my only HD is not being found?
I have already put a different one thinking the problem was the HD itself. Now it seems the problem may be with the cables or the motherboard, wouldn't it?
Both HDs are totally accessable as slaves on another pc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

DPC

javierdl
11-01-2004, 01:12 AM
No. But if you think it'll help...I'll do it a.s.a.p.

Thank you Psychic :)

DPC

JasonA
11-01-2004, 01:34 AM
When troubleshooting, start simple. Check that your BIOS settings are appropriate. If yo uhaven't made any changes recently, there's no reason why this would be out of whack. Make sure the drive gets power from the PS properly. If you have a new set of data cables, swap out the old ones for the new. usually you have two IDE or SATA ports (primary/seconday) for a total of 4/2 drives in most basic systems. If so, take your drive off the primary port and put it on the secondary - use automatic settings in your BIOS for both ports. If still no action, take your existing (original) hard drive out and install it in a friends computer as a slave and see if another machine can access it. If it can't your hard drive has crashed. This will Help isolate if your mobo's IDE controller has gone toast. If you've already tried using another good drive that you know works, then chances are your mobo may be having problems. Depending on how much money you're willing to spend, getting an add-on IDE/SATA card will probably be cheaper than replacing your mobo (I got a pretty good Maxtor one with a Promise chipset that was cheap and works great).

good luck

javierdl
11-01-2004, 04:07 AM
Geez! This is some great info :)
Thanks a bunch JasonA :)

DPC

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.