PDA

View Full Version : Realflow to lightwave !

Zack Attack
10-31-2004, 09:50 PM
I made a object in lw brought it to realflow did some water dynamics saved it as a scene file but cant get it back to lightwave ? (by the way its realflow 3) and (lightwave 8).

gerardo
11-01-2004, 04:48 AM
I don't test this version yet but as far as I know, you should load the mesh as an objects sequence; do you have tried it with LW 7.5?, the plug that Nextlimit provides says LW 7.5, (maybe still don't work well with LW8 :shrug: ) even so, you may notify it, they have the best technical support that I've seen. :thumbsup:

Gerardo

Zack Attack
11-04-2004, 01:16 AM
Damn this is tuff i can get it in realflow but i cant get it back to Lw this is realy fustrating
if theres any on who downloded the realflow demo or has it and can help me out?

if you need the demo its here http://www.nextlimit.com/realflow/index.html

coremi
11-04-2004, 04:45 AM
use Export Central to export meshes, meaning, Realflow will creat in the meshes DIR of your scene an .LWO object secquence. Than u import the first lwo in lightwave and under Object Replacement u have NextLimit_meshsequence (u have to d/l the plugins for lightwave from realflow website).
The problem is this. U have to render to see what's going on, moving through the timeline does nothing, and a bigger problem is that u have to texture every object, because every object u creat with realflow has it's own surface. There is a small application which can do that for u, it's called "Surface Replacer" version 1.3(Google). Basic u save your surface as an .pst, tell this aplication the first obj. from sequence, tell the surface, and tell where to save the new lwo sequence with that surface applied.
that's all, and it looks fantastic, never posible even close with lightwave.

Zack Attack
11-05-2004, 02:28 AM
use Export Central to export meshes, meaning, Realflow will creat in the meshes DIR of your scene an .LWO object secquence. Than u import the first lwo in lightwave and under Object Replacement u have NextLimit_meshsequence (u have to d/l the plugins for lightwave from realflow website).
The problem is this. U have to render to see what's going on, moving through the timeline does nothing, and a bigger problem is that u have to texture every object, because every object u creat with realflow has it's own surface. There is a small application which can do that for u, it's called "Surface Replacer" version 1.3(Google). Basic u save your surface as an .pst, tell this aplication the first obj. from sequence, tell the surface, and tell where to save the new lwo sequence with that surface applied.
that's all, and it looks fantastic, never posible even close with lightwave.
ok i got about this far i am done with my scene in realflow(a slide with water) i already saved in EXPORT CENTRAL and so i got to EXPORT and then bin file save done. so i close rf and i open LW 8............. and this is were i get lost do i add a null??? go to load export????

ps do i real need a mesh its not that important i mean all i wanna do is get my scene in lw.

WillCameron
11-05-2004, 04:51 AM
when you open Export Central, if you click on the Mesh you addad to your particles you can select Bin, Lwo, and Obj formats. obviously lwo format is the best.

then in lightwave you load the FIRST .lwo object it saves out (mesh00001.lwo or whatever.) open that objects properties, and select the RF3 Mesh Replacer on the
Geometry tab, object replacement drop down. it will auto select the meshes in sequence so
completely forget that they forgot to dissable the OPTIONS button next to it so to
drive you insane by clicking on it, then thinking somethngs wrong, and clicking on it again....

here you hit a lightwave bug that first turned up in 7 i think (or maybe it was 6...) if you
scrub thorugh the timeline the object wont update - but it will be there. if you do a f9 render the scene will update with the new added mesh.

funny thing, i was working on throwing together a few tutorials for you and the damned hting kept crashing on me.
I also found a few little annoying as hell bugs. for instance:

I set up a little box with a ramp, about 4 meters square 3 meters high. placed an emiter at
the opening of the ramp so the liquid would come sloshing down and slide around in the box.

while playing with the emiter sections i discovered if i changed the VOLUME of the emitter - which in its default state is 0.0 to anything, there was no way i could get it back to 0.0 - and that screwed the mesh/particles up so bad i had to reload in the SD - so a word of caution - before you try anything new, save your Scene/project etc!

anyways if theres enough interest i might still attempt to cobble together a few little tutorials - provided it doesnt keep crashing on me too much. heh.

- Will.

gerardo
11-05-2004, 05:47 AM
ps do i real need a mesh its not that important i mean all i wanna do is get my scene in lw.

Zack Attack, RealFlow doesn't work that way. Basically the workflow is more or less this way:
You set your scene in LW. (Objects, animations, etc.
Save the scene.
Export the scene to RF with Nextlimit_SD_Export.
In RF create a new project.
Import the .SD file
Add Emitters, Daemons, Meshes, Dynamics, etc.
Adjust the SceneTree.
Choose what you will export in the Central Export.
Make the calculation (Action button)
Save the project.
In LW load the scene again.
If you have generated meshes you should load them and to apply them Object Sequencer, if you have dynamic (hardbodies) you should use Nextlimit_SD_Loader, if you have particles you import them with the particle_import plug-in, if you have softbodies you use Nextlimit_SD_Deform (something like MD_plug) and so.
Finally you check that the surfaces are OK and render.
Is very simplified but is basically that :)

Gerardo

Zack Attack
11-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Zack Attack, RealFlow doesn't work that way. Basically the workflow is more or less this way:
You set your scene in LW. (Objects, animations, etc.
Save the scene.
Export the scene to RF with Nextlimit_SD_Export.
In RF create a new project.
Import the .SD file
Add Emitters, Daemons, Meshes, Dynamics, etc.
Adjust the SceneTree.
Choose what you will export in the Central Export.
Make the calculation (Action button)
Save the project.
In LW load the scene again.
If you have generated meshes you should load them and to apply them Object Sequencer, if you have dynamic (hardbodies) you should use Nextlimit_SD_Loader, if you have particles you import them with the particle_import plug-in, if you have softbodies you use Nextlimit_SD_Deform (something like MD_plug) and so.
Finally you check that the surfaces are OK and render.
Is very simplified but is basically that :)

Gerardo
First of all thank you guys very much for your help and time.
im still having problems though it kinda crashes out.

ill tell you what i am doing and maybe you guys can see what im doing wrong.
(basicly im trying to get water to come down a slide.) (i made the slide in lw)

i already saved my scene that i made from lw. i pressed the export centeral saved all just to be save. pressed action. im done now so i saved project and then i got to expot save to bin file. DONE i close rf.

1. im in lw 8 now so i load my original scene (the one i made before it went to rf) right??

2. i go to Utlitties>plugins>nextlimitP. done

3. this is were it gets bummpy. now i go to my object which is a slide do to objectP>deform> now do i ???go to nextlimit_particles or nexlimt mesh???

any way i try to load the particle scene and nothing happens nothing changed
i render and its like the particles arnt even there

and when i load the mesh it crashes out.

wow this is a mouth full

WillCameron
11-05-2004, 08:10 PM
ill tell you what i am doing and maybe you guys can see what im doing wrong.
(basicly im trying to get water to come down a slide.) (i made the slide in lw)

Ironically enough thats what i was doing for my tute. heh.

i already saved my scene that i made from lw. i pressed the export centeral saved all just to be save. pressed action. im done now so i saved project and then i got to expot save to bin file. DONE i close rf.

1. im in lw 8 now so i load my original scene (the one i made before it went to rf) right??

so good so far (well assuming you saved your scene from lightwave using the SD Saver plugin)

2. i go to Utlitties>plugins>nextlimitP. done

3. this is were it gets bummpy. now i go to my object which is a slide do to objectP>deform> now do i ???go to nextlimit_particles or nexlimt mesh???
[\QUOTE]

If your loading in particles you add a null to your scene, open its properties
and apply the Next Limit Particle Loader to the null. addthe first .bin file into it.
Dont worry about the placement of the null, its really just a placeholder.

[QUOTE=Zack Attack]
any way i try to load the particle scene and nothing happens nothing changed
i render and its like the particles arnt even there

and when i load the mesh it crashes out.

wow this is a mouth full

Meshes are loaded diferently. the idea is you can have realflow export particle sequences so you can attatch lightwave hyopervoxels onto them when you load them back in. or the
Next Limit Fluid Shader.
In realflow you can attatch a mesh to your particles so it makes the particles have volume.
Meshes are loaded by exporting into LWO format from realflow, loading in the very first one in the sequence, and attatching the NextLimit Mesh Sequence plug to its object replacement dropdown.

- Will.

Zack Attack
11-05-2004, 09:05 PM
then in lightwave you load the FIRST .lwo object it saves out (mesh00001.lwo or whatever.) open that objects properties, and select the RF3 Mesh Replacer on the
Geometry tab, object replacement drop down. it will auto select the meshes in sequence so
completely forget that they forgot to dissable the OPTIONS button next to it so to
drive you insane by clicking on it, then thinking somethngs wrong, and clicking on it again....

- Will.
how do i load the object thats my biggest problem were do i go to load any thing.

WillCameron
11-05-2004, 10:58 PM
how do i load the object thats my biggest problem were do i go to load any thing.

umm....
File // load // load object

- Will.

gerardo
11-05-2004, 10:59 PM
You can't open the objects because they aren't or because they are but LW doesn't load them?
As Will says you should just go to Meshes folder, choose the first object of the sequence and apply the NextLimit_Mesh_Sequence.
If you want to use the .bin files, add a Null and apply it the NextLimit_particles (which automatically adds RealFlow_Particle_Display). Btw, I've noticed that NextLimitFluid Shader is much quicker that HV (although not so versatile)

Gerardo

Zack Attack
11-05-2004, 11:53 PM
i think i finaly got it the mesh part at least. wow after all that it doesnt even seem like its worth it to go threw all of that i mean i have to surface each object. i tryed the null bin file thing at it says (plugin error !! update plugin) but! if u check the one on there website they give it for lw 7 i have lw 8. like i said this is a little too much for me to chew im glad this is only the demo and not the real thing.

stick a fork in me im done.

gerardo
11-06-2004, 02:29 AM
You don't need to apply a surface to each object. In LW, set your surface and save it. Then with the Surfrep apply this surface file to the whole object sequence.
I've downloaded the demo version and I've tested loading a .bin file (of the emitters) in LW8 and it works. :)

Gerardo

Zack Attack
11-08-2004, 12:51 AM
weres surfrep ? and how do i save it to object seqence.

ages
11-08-2004, 02:17 AM
I love realflow but tooo expensive!

gerardo
11-08-2004, 04:42 AM
weres surfrep ? and how do i save it to object seqence.

I downloaded SURFREP more than one year ago in the Nextlimit's web site, but now I don't find it :shrug:
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=909
To export the meshes of the fluids as sequence you should activate Meshsequence (.lwo) in the ExportCentral.

Gerardo

Zack Attack
11-10-2004, 02:21 AM
I downloaded SURFREP more than one year ago in the Nextlimit's web site, but now I don't find it :shrug:
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=909
To export the meshes of the fluids as sequence you should activate Meshsequence (.lwo) in the ExportCentral.

Gerardo
Yeah i never realy found it strange hu? the last time was it in the downlod section or plugin.

and any tips on getting waves in LW!

thanks

[Y]
11-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Hi Zack

The SURFREP utilitie is not need anymore becausenow is inside the Realflow sequencer. click over it and it will display the range to be saved. make sure the object at the first frame has the proper surface and then use the 'save transform'.

Let me show you how to bring the data from RF into LW
Particles : bin files ---> nextlimit particles plugin (Null object)
Mesh: lwo files --> mesh sequencer
Dynamics SD --> SD import (master plugin)
RW--> Load the realwave. lwo ---> Next Limit_RW Surface (SD)

The RW surface loader will have another name beacuse it can be use for loading deformations (elastics), and this allows some exporting tricks.

By the way most users don't know that you don't really need to export SD files from LW. You can load an lwo file into RF then load it in LW, if they share the same name you can load the data from RF into the object or add a null named as in RF this will help the plugins to find the object.

Also if you turn on Dynamics (without collision and Dyn motion) from an imported lwo file the data will be exported.

blueMeany
11-10-2004, 05:07 PM
You can get SURFREP here: http://www.nextlimit.com/download/lightwave/surfrep.zip

I downloaded it and it seems to work fine with RF3 and LW8 (so far). Just remember to name your mesh sequence appropriately (Mesh001,Mesh002 etc) because it only accepts 3 digits apparently. Also, you can't use preset files, only .srf.

Serif
11-10-2004, 08:03 PM
In Lightwave, load the first mesh object in the sequence. (i.e. mesh001.lwo) With that object selected, bring up the properties panel and apply (going from memory here) the "nextlimit_mesh_sequence" plugin under the deformations tab. Another filter will be automatically applied as well. This automatically loads the rest of the mesh. Of course, you should have the LW 8 or 7.5 plugin availale from nextlimit.com.

If you resurface any one of the mesh objects, the entire mesh must be resaved by going back to that deformation filter and dbl clicking on it. I'm trying to remember what it says.... but a little box pops up and you type in start/end frames and "save sequence" again.

Zack Attack
11-10-2004, 10:34 PM
']Hi Zack

The SURFREP utilitie is not need anymore becausenow is inside the Realflow sequencer. click over it and it will display the range to be saved. make sure the object at the first frame has the proper surface and then use the 'save transform'.

Let me show you how to bring the data from RF into LW
Particles : bin files ---> nextlimit particles plugin (Null object)
Mesh: lwo files --> mesh sequencer
Dynamics SD --> SD import (master plugin)
RW--> Load the realwave. lwo ---> Next Limit_RW Surface (SD)

(without collision and Dyn motion) from an imported lwo file the data will be exported.
Thanks for the heads up im sure this thing is under my nose but its just not working
i need more detail like how do i get my wave in to light wave like how do i get my wave to me a lwo object (dont see a option for it in CExport).

plus i get this error message for the particals (wrong version! you need to get a newer version of this plugin.) i searched all of the site and cant fine another plugin (i have lw 8)

[Y]
11-11-2004, 09:09 AM
When you save the surface deformation (RW Exoprt central). RF will also save a Realwave01.lwo in the object folder.
Load the object into layout and apply to it the 'NextLimit_RW_surface' displacement plugin From the plugin select the Realwave01.sd (object folder)

The problem could be that you are using the 'NextLimit_RealWave_Surface' wich is a legacy plugin for Realwave.

The-G-Man
11-14-2004, 06:48 PM
I've just started out with RF3. After creating a simple model of a shotglass in LW modeller I exported a SD file via LW Layout and brought it into RF. I've created an Emitter to produce a particle flow, and added a collision deamon to my glass model. I was hoping that this would cause the particles to start to fill the glass, but instead they pass straight through. Any pointers as to what I'm doing wrong please? Can't seem to locate any hand-holding tutorials for getting off the newbie runway.

Thanks!

Serif
11-14-2004, 06:54 PM
I can think of a couple reasons...

1. You did not trippled the polys in modelor before importing to rf3. Remember, all polys must be trippled.

2. You did not add the shot glass to the particle emitter in the scene tree.

The-G-Man
11-14-2004, 07:44 PM
MANY thanks Serif. Something's starting to stir now :)

gerardo
11-14-2004, 08:24 PM
I think that you don't need a collision daemond in your glass model, RF recognizes it automatically as collision object.

Gerardo

The-G-Man
11-14-2004, 10:07 PM
I think that you don't need a collision daemond in your glass model, RF recognizes it automatically as collision object.

Gerardo
Thanks Gerardo. I did already have this, but I'd missed the triple poly thing.

It's starting to work, but I'm not 100% sure why. The manual isn't the most helpful I've ever read as a newbie to CFM software. I can't figure why Next Limit didn't produce a simple hand-holding tutorial to get people started. Simple stuff often sparks off a thousand brain lightbulbs, and then we, the users, take it from there.

Still you guys are doing it, so I soon will be too. Just have to play catchup.

Zack Attack
11-15-2004, 02:13 AM
I can think of a couple reasons...

1. You did not trippled the polys in modelor before importing to rf3. Remember, all polys must be trippled.

2. You did not add the shot glass to the particle emitter in the scene tree.
how is that done?

habaņero
11-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Any of you guys know how to get air surfaces on a realflow mesh?

Like, without opening every mesh in modeler hit "f" and "save as"?

it would be sweet to have thickness based transparency in fprime.

herronial
02-05-2005, 01:47 PM
i find the meshes in Realflow take ages to generate, so whats is the advantage of creating them, why not use the particle bin files and apply flowtracer to them? only been using realflow a few days so that might be a stupid question

WillCameron
02-06-2005, 07:26 PM
depending on the complexity of the scene, etc, FlowTracer CAN take seriously long
to render, where as with a mesh you wont have the high volumetric overhead.

the biggest problem with Meshes is tweeking it to get it to conform right to the object
geometry. I wish they'd resolve the scale issues - amoung other things.

- Will.

chipuli
03-08-2005, 09:43 PM
ok, i am new to realflow, i have managed to make a simulation and imported it to lw, but how can i make it look like water, i used the glass preset, but it loks like mercury, do any one have a nice setting???

c-g
03-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Realflow has filters in its metaball engine that can give you more than think blobs. You also get uv mapping on the meshes.

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2005, 11:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.