PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial - Modelling car Mazda RX8.

Stryker
10-31-2004, 09:14 PM
3dm-mc posted new modelling car tutorial for 3ds max. This tutorial very good for beginners. + video files:
http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/car3/

Hazdaz
10-31-2004, 09:25 PM
I am sure the tutorial is good for modeling a car, but honestly, that rendering doesn't look that much like an RX8. Some of the proportions are off, and don't know if its ths source material (backgrround pix) that they are using in that tutorial or what. That shouldn't stop anyone from using that tut, but its not a very accurate model of that car... the only reason I am saying this, is cuz I am a car enthusiast, so I notice these things.

Here is a photo from about the same angle....
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/images/vehicles/pho_gallery_RX8_ext30.jpg

poly-phobic
10-31-2004, 10:49 PM
the car tut is obviously not a stock model... [i.e. its tuned]

u should be able to tell that since u are a car enthusiast.

Hazdaz
10-31-2004, 11:28 PM
I didn't want to point out the glaring specific proportional differences between that model and a real RX8, but since you mentioned it...

The hood and front nose is all wrong - has nothing to do with the fact that its "tuned" - i.e. had a body kit on it. You can't just change the sheetmetal like that with a simple body kit. Well theoretically, you could, but thats besides the point.

Same goes for the rear window/c-pillar - much "lumpier" than the real thing, and the wheel arches... has nothing to do with the fact that its a "tuned" model.

The rims look nothing like the stock rims, but on this particular subject, rims are very easily swapped for another model, so I am not gonna say that they are "wrong", except that the RX8 (like most cars now-a-days) take 5-lug rims, not 4, like in the rendering.

Also, note, that the reference images show the stock RX8 and not a "tuned" model, which leads me to believe that some of the modeling is off, and is not intentional.

But those are crits coming from a car enthusiast, so to the average CG person the model itself is fine.

Stryker
11-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Thanks for good comments!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.