PDA

View Full Version : Color Correction.

TheWriter
10-31-2004, 06:50 PM
It is that time again where I am debating over this whole color-correction. I grew up being told if you set up your lights and prepare your textures decent ahead of time, that there is no need for post processing hacks. However, it seems I often catch a lot of pros still doing their post color corrections. In fact, I am still told that all the experts have to post color correct their renders and that no render will get scenes just right.

I often wonder if I am just someone who is color blind here? I really don't get it. It seems most of the time when I look at these color-corrected scenes, it looks as though it has just been put under some kind of green filter to make everything green (or another color). And imho, it just makes things look a tad more washed out.

But there must be something to it if the experts are doing it? Or is it just the common fad... I just do not see the improvement myself...

wolver1ne
10-31-2004, 11:40 PM
Light and textures are not everything. To make it short, certain things are easier and faster to do in post, as there's no way you can get a top notch render in one go without loosing a lot of time to get it right. That's why people use passes and things like that to save time and have more control on the end result.

marc001
11-01-2004, 04:52 AM
Actually color correction is necesary. If you have a background plate, actors shot on blue screen, 3D, and matte painting, try compositing everything without doing any color correction. The background plate may be slightly red, the actors bluish, etc.

Elysian
11-01-2004, 03:30 PM
it looks as though it has just been put under some kind of green filter to make everything green (or another color). And imho, it just makes things look a tad more washed out.That only means that someone the wrong corrections were made.

halo
11-01-2004, 10:18 PM
colour correction is often a vital stage for a variety of reasons...its a science in itself

alseides
11-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Very true.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.