PDA

View Full Version : Vertex array error?

Serif
10-31-2004, 05:32 PM
"not enough memory for vertex array cache"

This is the error I get after setting my display subpatch level to 6 in Layout.

I'm working on an Egyptian temple scene and using fPrime for my renderer. (hence the boosted display subpatch level) The model has a grand total of 78906 polygons, a lot of which are subpatched. (organic-shaped columns n such)

I just repositioned the camera to the inside room... and aimed it at a wall. I set the display subpatch level to 6, as I had some of my columns in view, and LW ground to a near halt... whereupon the error popped up. I have searched Google for answers and it looks like a possible Open GL problem. I'm using a GeForce 4 Ti4600 128 MB RAM card on a 3.2 GHz P4 HT 1.5GB RAM box.

Can I tweak some settings to be rid of this error? ...or... what?

thanks for any advice.

Spater
10-31-2004, 11:02 PM
http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/shrug.gifmaybe just freeze your subpatches? a division level of 6 on display is way too high, I could see rendering at 6 and displaying 3.

Then again I'm on an old tired 1Ghz AMD 1700+ with 512Mb of RAM, so I dont have the luxury of displaying my supatch divisions that high

Serif
10-31-2004, 11:12 PM
Freezing is a good idea. I never thought of that. With regards to display SP level, fPrime uses the display level when rendering. It ignores the render SP level... and so that is why it was set to 6. I typically do not have a problem with a level of 6 on this box.

Spater
10-31-2004, 11:23 PM
ok, I gotcha, I dont know how Fprime works, dont got it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.