PDA

View Full Version : floating character and intertia

nikfaulkner
10-31-2004, 04:20 PM
hey all,

ok then, say i've got my character and he moves by floating a foot off the ground.is there any way i can add intertia/momentum to his lower body so his legs swing if he stops or turns quickly? would softfx\clothfx help? how about the "inertia" plugin and lastly (because its not cheap) whirley points fom worley's taft collection.

please be gentle i'm new to a lot of this stuff ;)

many thanks in advance

nik

SplineGod
10-31-2004, 04:40 PM
Just setup IK on the legs and animate the Goals to make the legs sway. :)

DaveW
10-31-2004, 04:48 PM
if you're using lw8 you can try the fancy new bone dynamics.

nikfaulkner
10-31-2004, 04:54 PM
wow fast replies,

larry - yep this is option number one. im looking for a technique that will use some tools i'm not famillier with. kinda a self improvement exercise. if all else fails i'll be useing ik

davew - bone dynamics you say? (reaching for the manual)

thanks a lot guys

anybody any other thoughts?

nik

SplineGod
10-31-2004, 05:00 PM
Bone dynamics would be something you could try as Dave mentioned. You could also try using follower or expressions to make the IK Goal on the legs follow the body but with some delay. :)

pooby
10-31-2004, 05:20 PM
As Splingod suggested, to do this I would definately just animate them rather than leave it to dynamics. You have a lot more control and this kind of motion isn't difficult to do manually.

However. I dont want to put you off.. It's always good to learn new stuff and the bone dynamics can work great.

SplineGod
10-31-2004, 07:42 PM
What I try and do is experiment with doing things that cant be easily done some other way. The example of a floaty charcater is just too easily to do with a simple IK setup. What I would look at doing is thinking of things that cant be done easily using standard methods. A good example would be animating a snake or a cable along a path. Animating a character like doc oc would be challenging. Check out shots done in movies that appear difficult and see how you would replicate that. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.