PDA

View Full Version : animation workflow

hamu73
10-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Hi I just want to know your general workflow of doing animation,
well I know in the end it's all about your personal preference but still kind of interesting how you are attacking an animation.

how are you doing walkcycles?? blocking every keypose then tweaking or doing it in layers first hip and legs,....

and how are you doing other animation like with lots of motion, blocking in steped curves, then refinging,...

how are you tackle great animation, what is your workflow??

Blip
10-31-2004, 08:19 PM
A walk cycle is a good way to learn about blocking in poses. Here's how I learned to do it, and it seems to be a good method. You'll want to work orthographically of course, focusing mainly (or at least initially) on the side view. And it involvings starting out by blocking WHOLE poses, just like in 2D.

Start with your contact poses. You know the basics of a walk - Contact, Down, Passing, Up, Contact... If you're doing a walk CYCLE, put in your first contact pose (let's say right-step) and of course the exact opposite contact pose (left step). Once you have your contacts the way you want them, copy the first one (right step) to the end. So you have right, left, right.

What's cool about this method is, when you put some empty space (computer-generated in-betweens) between the contacts, the frame half-way between each contact has the feet right in the center. Perfect, because now it's time to nail down that Passing position. Remember, it's usually best to work on things by half-ing them. Basically, our left foot contact is halfway between our 2 right foot contacts. Now we're going to half-way between each right & left contact, the passing positions.

Again, nail-down your first passing position (going from right step to left step), and the second one will just be the exact opposite. You'll want to start thinking about the front/rear view as far as weight shifting from one leg to the other, having the feet turned out, maybe a side to side angle on the head, whatever.

Now split it halfway again, this time between the first contact and first passing position. This of course is the down position. With this method, as you split halfway each time, it gets easier and easier. You have fewer tweaks to make because the computer's in-betweens start getting close to what should be there. After doing both down positions, you do the up, which is halfway between the right-to-left passing position and the left contact.

Anyway, this is great for a standard walk. Now that you have your main poses for this normal walk, you can start to play around, tweaking each pose, and the timing between them, to get different attitudes of walks. Just Save-As and you'll have good starting points for all kinds of walks.

hamu73
10-31-2004, 09:25 PM
so you are tackling a walk like in 2d...doing a (almost) complete pose at a time, ok haven't really tried that out, so thanks I will definitely try it...I just layered all steps doing the hips and legs first then moving to the torso. bolcked in the initial spacing and timing with the feet and hip then doing the inbetween tweaking...so thanks for your input
hope to hear some more workflow tips and also to faster and crazier movvement and normal acting

hamu73
11-03-2004, 07:04 AM
does nobody want to give his way of working???
well it's always good to know how other people work...
too bad not to know the different workflows for specific tasks!!

so c'on people tell us your insides and little tricks

andy_maxman
11-04-2004, 07:02 AM
http://www.keithlango.com

hamu73
11-06-2004, 09:24 AM
ok thanks alot for the link andy_maxman....this is great...
and I checked your anims if you don't mind....these are looking sweeeet...I like the yarn of the baby and great work with the orc

andy_maxman
11-06-2004, 10:07 AM
mm.. thanks for the commentsMate!! now only if you would have dropped a line by in that thread it would have helped to bump it up on to the first page. it kinda of seems lost somewhere in the 4th page now. :-)
cheers!
andy

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.