PDA

View Full Version : max to lwo

herronial
10-31-2004, 01:22 PM
hey

if you download a 3d max obj can it be converted into a .lwo obj?

illuminus
10-31-2004, 01:37 PM
If memory serves, Max models have the extension .3ds. If so, there are several tools out there that will convert them .lwo. You can also load the model into LightWave directly. The loader will prompt you for some conversion settings (scale, rotation, etc) as it brings the model in.

herronial
10-31-2004, 01:49 PM
cheers for that i will try and load it directly in

TRick
10-31-2004, 01:55 PM
MAX-models have the extension MAX and can only be read in the MAX-versions in which the model was made and all newer versions. There are convertors but conversion is always based on a MAX-plugin, so you ALWAYS need a MAX-license. The cheapest way is to find someone with a license and ask him to export to 3DS...

FerryvD
10-31-2004, 03:03 PM
I thought the .MAX files where the complete scene files with all settings and models in it. And the .3DS where the actual models. Which can as said already be directly loaded into lightwave.

TRick
10-31-2004, 03:49 PM
I thought the .MAX files where the complete scene files with all settings and models in it. And the .3DS where the actual models. Which can as said already be directly loaded into lightwave. That's an interesting new way to see things :eek:

Srek
10-31-2004, 05:07 PM
I thought the .MAX files where the complete scene files with all settings and models in it. And the .3DS where the actual models. Which can as said already be directly loaded into lightwave.
3ds is an older ascii format that was introduced with 3d studio for dos. max is a newer parametric format that can only be read by 3dsmax itself.
As Trick said, there is no way around 3dsmax to read a max file.
Cheers
Srek

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.