PDA

View Full Version : Sgi Machine

rickmann
10-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Hey girls nd gals, I have a hardware question. If you had a chance to buy a SGI Octane R10000 225mhz with IRIX 6.5, 4 gig hd, cd-rom, video, full working condition for $99, would you buy it?

C-ya
Rick

ambient-whisper
10-30-2004, 08:49 PM
sure. gut the machine and make it into a mini fridge

imashination
10-30-2004, 09:17 PM
sure. gut the machine and make it into a mini fridge

Lol, you read my mind. I would turn it into something useful. Bathroom cabinet, foot stool. Ooooh!, letterbox!

rickmann
10-30-2004, 09:46 PM
well actually I was thinking of using it as more of experimental machine. Because I don't use IRIX I was thinking this would be a cheap machine to learn it on and when I wasn't using it I was planning on using it for a rendering machine. I always heard that these older SGI machines were workhorses when it came to rendering.

C-ya
Rick

Srek
10-30-2004, 09:51 PM
I always heard that these older SGI machines were workhorses when it came to rendering.
At their time they were, but compared to current systems it's not worth the effort.

Cheers
Srek

rickmann
10-30-2004, 10:00 PM
oh... so what would be a good way of learning irix? without shelling out $150 bucks?

shehbahn
10-30-2004, 11:04 PM
more to the point : why learning Irix ? you could just as well start with Linux and probably never miss the few quirks of Irix.

Tarrbot
10-31-2004, 01:12 AM
IRIX doesn't really have "quirks" per se. It's just the way the OS acts. The same thing could be said of any OS, even linux.

You learn the ins and out of IRIX, you learn a lot about any *nix. It's that simple.

The only thing you don't really have to worry about that linux nerds worry about is fu-juck-fiddling with every friggin thing ever just to make it "just so".

With IRIX (or any factory UNIX like HP-UX or AIX) you just work. Not much fiddling required.

However, I want to caution you. If this Octane does not come with the IRIX OS media, you better plan on spending a ton of cash just to reinstall should you ever need to.

The Foundation CDs can run you a hefty penny. Then you will need the overlays.

All in all, I have about 19 friggin CDs for an IRIX install. Now granted, I only need about 7 of them to suit my taste but still... that's a lot of CDs.

The core CDs you would require are Foundation 1, Foundation 2, Applications CD, and the four Overlay CDs. The Overlays are your 6.5.x--so you would have an overlay set of 6.5.17 or 6.5.22.

Besides, what most people don't like about IRIX is 4Dwm--the window manager. If you don't like it, change it to gnome or kde or whatever suits your fancy. But if you do that, you won't get your OpenGL accelerated views working on your desktop.

A $100 Octane is not a bad deal. You would want to know what graphics are installed in it.

A good overview of most sgi systems can be found here (http://www.tc.umn.edu/~dols0011/sgi/)

It's not a complete guide but it gets you started in knowing what's up with the Octane.

Make sure the lightbar works. ;)

elvis
10-31-2004, 02:09 AM
Octane and O2 cases are quite popular in the case modding community.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.