PDA

View Full Version : Environment: Belvedere

ajk48n
10-30-2004, 09:41 AM
Well, I'm trying to finish up a model of Escher's Belvedere I started a while ago. Here are some pictures. All critiques are welcome, but I would also like to know if it looks better with more or less sunlight in the background.

Thanks

davhub
10-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Hi ajk48n.. I think the idea of showing us the shadows in the background is siply amazing! our eyes could be fooled around with ease, don't you think? ;)

Anyway.. I think There's too much flatness around even if I know the problems
of adding detailed texture in a work like this (incidence light control could be impossible)
anbyway.. the light of the sunset could be stronger, but not too much..
there could be many things to say about your work but the real problem here
we do not know how's your intentions about this image...

Nice cotnrast with the original people drawed by MC Escher here in orangish tone...
even if it coul be more fine tuned... trying to gather inspirations by his work

thanks for sharing!

Davhub

Self-Designer
10-30-2004, 07:48 PM
There was that site with 3 movies showing Escher's works encluding this one in a 3d movie and of course explainning how to do it in 3D (which isn't really doing a pardoxally world but a one direction illusion).

ajk48n
10-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the replies.

davidhub:

Are you talking about flatness in the model, the plane that the shadow is on, or in the background picture? Do you have any ideas on how to improve the quality of the people?

davhub
10-31-2004, 12:58 PM
I was talking about the flatness of the textures upon the model... it's a basic phong shader
or something like that.. it could be a subtle but important improvement adding a slightly bumpiness on them and some very very light specs... (1% or so).

usually eschers' prints were done upon fiber paper so you could have tow choice:

1) try to reproduce it directly in 3D (following some of my suggestions)
2) try to post processi the image in photoshop (or similar apps) adding the canvas texture
filter or the likes.

I guess it could be interesting and nice to discover both of them and play aorund with the results.

Second: the panel with projected shadows... it could be nice to show the "backstage" but as a secondary image where you show up wireframe (flat shading model and the plane with shadows). Try to foucs on reproducing the original picture (cut away the panel with shadows) understand or my speech is'nt clear? ;)

third: how to increase the quality of peoples... you scanned them directly form eschers' work.. hard to make them smoothly integrated into the 3D image.
Probably trying to add bumpiness or work around with layers in photoshop (so you have the basic render without them and you add them in post process) could be OK.

let us know! :D

Davhub

ajk48n
11-01-2004, 07:38 AM
"Second: the panel with projected shadows... it could be nice to show the "backstage" but as a secondary image where you show up wireframe (flat shading model and the plane with shadows). Try to foucs on reproducing the original picture (cut away the panel with shadows) understand or my speech is'nt clear?"

I don't quite understand what you mean by this? Are you saying I should try to show the mountains behind the shadow in wireframe, or not show the shadow at all? I'd like to find a little better way to show the shadow, since I like that it shows the true nature of the object.

Thanks for the critiques

davhub
11-01-2004, 08:22 AM
I don't quite understand what you mean by this? Are you saying I should try to show the mountains behind the shadow in wireframe, or not show the shadow at all? I'd like to find a little better way to show the shadow, since I like that it shows the true nature of the object.

Thanks for the critiques
I was sure my speeech was unclear, sorry for this guy! ;)

I was saying simply you could present and work on two different kind of images:
The first: the 3D reproduction of M.C.Eschers' belvedere same aspect ratio of the image,
and so on.
The second: a composition between the image you showed us and a wireframe render of the same just to reveal, with the shadows behaind, the true nature of the object itself, a kind of "backstage" shot ;)

Is it clear now? hoping so, let us know!

Davhub

ajk48n
11-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Yeah, that's clearer. Thanks for replying again.

davhub
11-01-2004, 10:37 PM
My pleasure ;)

ajk48n
11-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Here's an update.

Any critiques?

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.