PDA

View Full Version : POWER upgrade

yoshimitsu
10-30-2004, 06:18 AM
is there such a thing as damaging a computer by upgrading the power supply to something with too much wattage? I imagine the PSU just makes that power available, and the system draws what it needs...

I'm getting a Dell desktop and transforming it into a pseudo-workstation and since the thing will probably come with a 250 watt power supply I'm gonna need more to run the workstation graphics card. (QuadroFX3400 or FireGLv7100) both cards will want at least 350 watt supplies.

so do i have any reason to be concerned about upgrading the power?

singularity2006
10-30-2004, 06:28 AM
that is true only if u get a crap@ss PSU. Otherwise, yes, the system will only take what it needs. The PSU rating is just for the max output.

Vertizor
10-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Unless something has changed, last I remember Dell has a proprietary design, particularly the power supply. It's not a standard ATX PSU so you can't just swap it out for another "off the shelf" PSU. Just a heads up, look into this matter before you proceed.

I have a Dell Dimension 4550 right next to me but I'm not gonna open it, don't want to let the dust bunnies out.

novadude
10-30-2004, 02:07 PM
The new dells are supposed to have standard ATX PSU pinouts.

yoshimitsu
10-30-2004, 02:47 PM
I finally burrowed through all the idiocy on the Dell website and found technical specifications for the dimension 8400. it's got a 350 watt power supply so I'm in the clear. I'm leaning towards the ATI card cuz it's cheaper, specs are a tiny bit faster and it uses like 3/4 as much power as the nvidia. the only problem is it's not freaking available yet. oh well I"m sure the X300 card that comes with the system will bring me hours of top notch performance as a paint scraper.
thanks for yer knowledges peoples.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.