PDA

View Full Version : Australian or international shippers

jcbray
10-30-2004, 05:17 AM
Hey guys! I'm looking out to buy a new computer, and prices here in Australia are steep compared to U.S prices, the athlon 3500 (939) would cost me $585 here, comparitive to 400 and something (AU) if i bought from Newegg.

Problem is, Newegg doesn't ship to Australia, and I don't know anyone there who could pass it on to me, and I'm not wanting to trust a stranger (obviously). Monarch Computers sell to Australia, so I'm checking them out, but i'm wondering if there are any other sites which some Australian members know of, or perhaps anyone else who just happens to know a good site that ships internationally??

Thanks all.

elvis
10-30-2004, 08:40 AM
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2079.html

Are they the ones you're thinking of?

jcbray
10-30-2004, 08:59 AM
You misunderstood me, I know about Monarch Computers, I was looking for other stores that shipped internationally, or to Australia anyways. But I think i found a good one, so i'll get back to you's, that reseller place allows me to search for international sellers, so yeh, helps makes things easier.

b1_
10-30-2004, 03:57 PM
I'd be interested to know how it goes.

There are risks and hidden expenses involved with sourcing from over seas.

* It takes longer, and if you get a faulty part it can be a long a tedious process getting it replaced.
* If the exchange rate is AU$0.74 to US$1, as it is right now, you won't get this rate, the banks take their cut for doing the conversion. You'll probably get .70 or .71.
* Taxes invovled with importing. Not sure exactly what they are though. Anyone?
* Shipping costs.

I thought about this myself but concluded that it may be just too much of a hassle.

If anyone else has got their gear from overseas let us know how it went.

Thx.

elvis
10-31-2004, 12:00 AM
Without trying to pimp myself too much:

We're based in Brisbane, Queensland, and can ship to most places in Australia without any hassels, if you don't want to risk the dramas of overseas shipping and warranty claims:

http://www.rnt-it.com

:)

jcbray
10-31-2004, 12:48 AM
b1_ - I had considered the extra charges, and considering I could get the same processor for $100 cheaper, that is a saving on just one part, i figured with a barebones computer I'd save a couple hundred, and get some of the other parts over here.

But I do agree it's a lot of hassel, but the price difference in Australia though is quite annoying.

elvis - Your site/business doesn't allow customisable setups? Sorry, I know what I'm after, roughly. Maybe I'm just having trouble navigating your sitre and can't find that option *shrugs*

b1_
10-31-2004, 01:39 AM
Is that $100 saving after factoring all the charges in?

You'll save about $130 on a AMD Athlon64 3800 before all those charges. Once they're all factored in I doubt you would save anymore than $50 if that. Is that worth the time lag in receiving your parts?

You may want to look at this thread over at whirlpool about import taxes:l http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=242840

Here's one of the posts:
I donít know what the duty is on computer hardware since I have as yet not found it worthwhile to import.

The max value that you can import into Australia is $1000AUD by air and $250AUD by sea without having to fill in any special type of paper work. Customs will collect GST + duty if the GST + duty amount comes to $50AUD or more but they will not if it is below $50AUD. E.g.

1. Goods cost $300AUD postage is $30AUD thus GST is on $330AUD = $33AUD. Assume duty is 5% thus 5% of $300AUD is $15AUD therefore total GST + duty = $48AUD since this is less than $50AUD customs will waive it and you get it GST + duty free.

2. Goods cost $400AUD postage again $30AUD thus GST is $43AUD and duty again is 5% thus the duty amount is $20AUD thus total is $63AUD which you pay.

The AUD figure is determined by the currency exchange rate on the day the package has left the country. Severe penalties apply for those trying to defraud the Australian Government by having goods declared at below actual cost. To legally get around this have the items in separate packages.

The customs people are not stupid they have access to computers and the internet they also ring up Australian importers/wholesalers and retailers to see what the goods cost them if there is any doubt as to the value of the goods. In the event the invoice is not present with the goods or other proof of purchase then you maybe requested to supply the proof.

You canít import prohibited goods. Importation of certain prohibited goods such as drugs/firearms will ensure you get to chat to bubba at your local state pen.

Personal effects (for those that are emigrating to or have to Australia) are not subject to GST and duty. Gifts are.

Customs will hold the package only for a certain time if you do not comply within that time frame they export the package back from where it came from or they may start to charge you storage fees.

Edit note: Almost forget there is also a dangerous goods fee for those goods that are considered dangerous e.g. glow fuel which BTW you would not be able to have sent by air anyway.

I also recall of a fellow club member telling me of his attempts to buy fish food from overseas and upon its arrival it was subjected to the dangerous goods fee (was $60AUD at the time) which he refused to pay consequently he didnít get the fish food.

mr_wowtrousers
10-31-2004, 01:39 AM
I think the shipping and customs and insurance fees would make it almost pointless . . . unless you were buying a Mac. It is well known that Australia is one of the worst places in the world to buy a Mac as they are ludicrously overpriced, even taking into account region taxes and currency conversion.

jcbray
10-31-2004, 01:01 AM
I hadn't wroked it out with shipping + plus other taxes so far, i was just looking around for the best bargain and see how it would work out from there. reading this thread though it seems not many people think it worthwhile to bother importing.

In that case I'll probebly settle for a good shop in Sydney; the prices we're charged over here is still grating though. Any sydney-siders want to tell any good places they bought from? I'm not going for a Mac, for the person that queried that.

mr_wowtrousers
10-31-2004, 02:12 AM
Check out

http://www.custo.com.au

A mate told me about it a few weeks ago. Cheapest stuff I have seen. He just bought a 17 inc lcd monitor for a great price. Good monitor too. If I have enough money to buy a render machine next year I will probably get it from them or Emagen:

http://www.emagen.com.au

I was going to get my main machine from Emagen, but decided to go with the more well known Xenon. Paid a bit more, but a better reputation. Emagen is starting to make a name for itself though.

otherwise:

http://www.ecomcomputers.com.au

I have bought a few things off them and another workmate bought a PC of them. Their web prices are pretty good, but you could probably do better if you go to the their stores. There is one on Pitt St, just near Martin Place.

jcbray
10-31-2004, 03:34 AM
That custo place is great :) cheap, with a decent variety, they don't seem to have the AMD64 3500 or lower on the 939 pin though, but i'll see if they can get that in. Those prices are very good compared to other places I've looked around for. Surprisingly they are on pitt street too, I'd have thought that would make them epensive *shrugs* Whatever saves me money :)

Thanks again!

- Colin Lynch

elvis
10-31-2004, 09:34 AM
elvis - Your site/business doesn't allow customisable setups? Sorry, I know what I'm after, roughly. Maybe I'm just having trouble navigating your sitre and can't find that option *shrugs*

The site you see there is only 2 weeks old. We haven't yet added our full shopping-cart options, but it is certainly on the way. We've been existing as a service-only company for 18 months now, servicing animation and post houses, graphic designers, architects, medical operators, engineers and other high-end visualisation users. We've been supplying hardware for about 3 months now, and due to demand from our clients added a few basic hardware options to our website. As I mentioned, a shopping-cart system is on the way to allow buying customised setups online. I'm hoping to have it ready after new year some time.

If you send me an email through the site, or contact one of our sales team via telephone we'll certainly build custom setups. There's no problems with that. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.