PDA

View Full Version : 2 UI Questions

Waz
10-30-2004, 03:37 AM
Questions pertaining to Painter 9

1. How in the world can I move brushes around in a custom palette or delete them? It would also be nice to put a little text label by them especially when you have 2 brushes from the same category in the palette.

2. How can you make the layer manager longer? I only get to see like 5 layers at a time and having to scroll top to bottom all the time is quite annoying.

bripirie
10-30-2004, 12:32 PM
There is a point you can click and drag on, right near the bottom of the layer list, to resize it. It may take a few tries to find the right spot, but once you've found it, you can make the list any size you want.

Cometsoft
10-30-2004, 02:53 PM
For the icons on the custom palette shift drag to arrange them and shift drag them off the palette to delete them.

I think the labels would be great on the custom palettes, but unfortunately it doesn't appear to be an option. Even a rollover text label would be an improvement.

Waz
10-30-2004, 05:34 PM
Great thanks for the help. That point where to drag to make the layer menu longer sure is small. They should use the corner to be able to drag out horizontally AND vertically. Maybe Painter 10 will have that along with text by the brushes or be able the change the icons to your own graphic.

Some other nice UI features would be to resize the property bar when it itsn't docked and to change the size of the mixer panel to something smaller. And every palette has 2 bars to close it. One the standard windows X and scroll bar + the painter one making for even more lost screen real estate.

Munk
10-30-2004, 06:22 PM
On the PC you only need to put one brush category icon in the custom palette. Lets say it's the Chalk category. Right click on the canvas and you can select any of its variants from the menu. Add an icon for each category you want to use. The Tool tip, if turned on, will tell you which variant you chose when you moved the category icon onto the palette.

Only undocked palettes can be resized up to the maximun H & W of the program window. I have mine set so I can see 10 layers before I have to scroll.

Munk

Cometsoft
10-30-2004, 08:49 PM
Good suggestion Munk. I frequently forget about the right mouse button in painter. Also didn't realize tooltips worked on the custom palettes. I'm always using a wacom and for some reason tool tips never seem to work with it, only with a regular mouse.

Munk
10-30-2004, 09:36 PM
I think it's a PC thing with tool tips...There are some things that work on a Mac that don't work on the PC.

Munk

rebo
10-31-2004, 04:53 PM
Tooltips is hard with a wacom cos you have to keep the pointer deadstill but not rest it on the tablet :)

awrieger
11-01-2004, 05:23 AM
They should use the corner to be able to drag out horizontally AND vertically.

You can. The layers palette has to be on its own though, and not docked with any other palette. So you may have to undock any other palettes and then re-dock them again once it's re-sized.

aw

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.