PDA

View Full Version : Can't log into Win XP: I can't believe I did this

peachstapler
10-30-2004, 02:14 AM
I am formally requesting assistance in logging into Windows XP Pro. Yes, somehow I have configured my system to log in as "Administrator" while setting up a LAN between my systems.

XP logon is asking for a password and I do not have a clue what it would be. How can I get into my OS and change this so it never happens again?

THINGS I'VE TRIED SO FAR:
I've attempted to login with all the passwords I thought would work, including just pressing "enter" and leaving the password field blank. No success.

Thanks for any help you can offer, as I need to do work on this machine. I am a dunce and should have known better.

peachstapler
10-30-2004, 02:24 AM
By the way, I checked out this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321305

Even in Safe Mode, it still brings me to the login screen and asks me to log in as Administrator. I press "enter" to login assuming I've set no password. It has that little speech balloon pop-up that says "Did you forget your password?" Well, yes I have. So it just says "Please type it again using correct upper and lower case letters.

Help? :sad:

peachstapler
10-30-2004, 02:30 AM
Holy crap.

From MS website:

Note If you have not created a password reset disk, and you have also forgotten the password for all user accounts, you cannot log on to your existing Windows installation for security reasons. This information applies to starting Windows XP typically, to safe mode, and to Recovery Console. In this case, you must perform a "clean" installation of Windows XP, re-create all user accounts, and then reinstall all your programs.
You guys may want to vote this thread a 5 for comedy factor. :banghead:

gmask
10-30-2004, 02:34 AM
In the meantime until you figure out how to login .. you will beable to get to files on that disk you were to say put it in an external USB enclosure and then connect it.

peachstapler
10-30-2004, 02:35 AM
Sup gmask? Yeah I'm going to try to hook this drive up as a slave and see if I can access the files that way.

gmask
10-30-2004, 02:38 AM
Sup gmask? Yeah I'm going to try to hook this drive up as a slave and see if I can access the files that way.
Sup!

Be sure to put it on a different bus than the drive that you are mounting the OS from or it might not boot... or try to boot from the OS you are locked out of.

I guess if you coudl edit the registry file or soemthign on anotehr system to fix the login problem but I'm not sure how to do that.

Stillwell
10-30-2004, 02:49 AM
Hey Joseph,

there are some programs to reset the admin password, I think you can easily find it if you google it. In fact.... I think someone had the same problem not so long ago, search this very forum, I think you may come up with something.

Anyways, best of luck!

peachstapler
10-30-2004, 02:54 AM
Hey Joseph,

there are some programs to reset the admin password, I think you can easily find it if you google it. In fact.... I think someone had the same problem not so long ago, search this very forum, I think you may come up with something.

Anyways, best of luck!
Excellent news. I am already Googling for results. What a mess, I tell you.

gmask
10-30-2004, 02:54 AM
Excellent news. I am already Googling for results. What a mess, I tell you.
http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

peachstapler
10-30-2004, 03:03 AM
http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htmRad. I also did some searching here in the technical forum at CGTalk and found this thread:
http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=177202&highlight=login+password (probably the same thread Adrian and I both looked at, as the petri.co.il link was included in a post there)

I'm currently downloading the Austrumi ISO (52mb)
Will report with results in a few minutes. Thanks fellas.

peachstapler
10-30-2004, 04:58 AM
OK I tried out Austrumi and NT Offline Password Editor and they were pretty straightforward. Select partition, list users, select user, change user password, etc. I must be doing something wrong, because I set the password for the Administrator to be blank (the command is *) and it says it successfully changed it, then I save and write the hash and reboot in XP. Well, it doesn't work.

I can't afford to jerk around on XP security issues this weekend, so I'm slaving this drive and doing the work on another HD until I get more time to fix it. Thanks for everyone's help; if I find a solution I'll post it here so others can use it for reference.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.