PDA

View Full Version : Which laptop good for maya?

Vittorius
10-30-2004, 12:46 AM
Hey guys it's my first post here :applause: !!!
Now I'm searching to buy a laptop that would work superb with Maya 4.0 and I was thinking of getting EMachines 6811.
Here are some specs :
SpecificationsDisplay:15.4" Widescreen TFT LCD WXGA (1280 x 800 max. resolution)Operating System:Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition 1 (http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6811#1)CPU:Mobile AMD Athlon™ 64 3400+ Processor (http://www.emachines.com/news/amd.html)
64-bit Architecture operates at 2.00 GHz
System Bus uses HyperTransport™
Technology operating at 1600 MHz
1 MB L2 CacheMemory:512 MB DDR SODIMM (PC 2700)Hard Drive:80 GB HDD 2 (http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6811#2)Optical Drives:DVD +/- RW Drive (Write Max: 2.4x DVD+R/RW, 2x DVD-R/RW, 6x CD-R, 10x CD-RW; Reads 24x CD, 8x DVD)Media Reader:6-in-1 Digital Media Manager (Compact Flash, Micro Drive, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro)Video:ATI® Mobility RADEON™ 9600 with 64 MB Video RAM
So what do you guys think is it worth it?

Any comments and posts highly appreciated:bounce:

Oh one more thing it's probably a wrong forum but i'll ask anyway: i'm making a car in Maya 4.0 and I was looking for a nice shader for the windows, I didn't have much luck tho, can anyone post a link or something it would be really helpful.

dotTom
10-30-2004, 06:10 PM
Hey guys it's my first post here :applause: !!!
Now I'm searching to buy a laptop that would work superb with Maya 4.0 and I was...
Erm, why Maya 4? But seriously, put at least 1 pref. 2 GB of RAM in the laptop. Try and get something with a Quadro FX GO or similar GPU with at least 64 MB of memory. You might want to check that the laptop supports driving a external display in addition to its build in TFT (i.e. you can do a dual monitor set up). Get the largest hard disk in there you can (at least 40 GB).

Speaking personally, and assuming you'll want to upgrade to Maya 6 and use other apps like Photoshop etc, I think you're making a mistake buying a laptop if this is going to be your primary (or even only) system. Lots of reasons, including non upgradable graphics subsystem, crappy disk IO performance, etc etc. If size and portability truely are an issue consider getting a small form factor (SFF) PC like Shuttle etc. You can even get dual proc SFF systems these days (dual Opteron).

MadMax
10-31-2004, 12:18 AM
I have the Compaq Presario 3000z, Athlon 64 3400+, 15.4" Widescreen display.

I bought this one because it uses the nVidia display, which is prefereable to ATI for Maya. It comes in handy when I want to work on something away from work or home.

Maya runs quite comfortably on it.

DevilHacker
10-31-2004, 02:23 AM
Is this going to be your only computer, or will you have a desktop at home?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.