PDA

View Full Version : Painter freeze on launch

normando
10-29-2004, 09:05 PM
I sent this problem to the Corel Support people but got an odd reply which I think only applies to Mac OS X. Here's what I sent:

Recently I tried to launch Painter 7. I have not used it for a while. When I launched it, it didn't show a startup screen, but only showed the "Help" title in the menu bar. The Painter icon showed in the upper right of the menu bar. I could not access the Finder and all windows were frozen.

I uninstalled it and installed Painter 8 which I had purchased a while ago but never used, rebooted and installed the 8.1 update and rebooted again. When I tried to launch the new application the same thing happened: "Help" showed in the menu bar and the application icon was in the upper right. The windows were frozen. All access to icons on the desktop was impossible. The pointer still moved but I was unable to click on anything on the desktop. I had to do a hard restart. I had allocated 70MB to Painter 8 before opening it. Any ideas?

System Details
---------------------------------------------------------------
Mac OS 9.2.2, 1GB RAM, free disk space: 11GB, Macintosh PowerBook G4 Titanium.*

This is the answer I got back from Corel support:

Response (Ema Ariga) - 10/29/2004 10:04 AM

Thank you for your inquiry on Corel Painter 8 on Macintosh.

Please uninstall Corel Painter 8 by trashing Corel Painter 8 folder from Application folder, or where you have installed it to. Also, please delete this following file.
Macintosh Harddrive:Users:__User Name__:Library:Preferences:com.Corel.Painter8.plist

Then re-install Corel Painter 8, but please do not launch the application until you successfully install 8.1 updater which you can download from http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel2/Products/Download&cid=1047022730309&pid=1047022702185.

Regards,
Ema
http://www.corel.com

I thought the answer was rather odd since I couldn't find (have never heard of) any .plist file. After some digging around I found that it is a preference file specific to Mac OS X! Hey! I TOLD them I was using OS 9.2.2!

Anyway, I searched around some more and found you guys, but I didn't find anything specific to this problem on your Painter forum. Does the .plist suggestion above mean anything to anyone here? I can't seem to find a Preferences file for Painter anywhere. Any other suggestions regarding this problem?

Thanks.

kraal
10-30-2004, 02:20 PM
i can only suggest upgrading you OS ---- 9.x is basically becoming outdated and obsolete

normando
10-31-2004, 10:55 PM
With all due respect to your status as a Know-it-All, I can only say that this is not a very helpful suggestion. Painter 8 is designed to run in OS 9.2.2 and I have no reason to expect that a change in OS would make it run correctly. Thanks anyway.

sand dragon
11-01-2004, 09:09 AM
You could have a software extensions conflict issue.

The 'classic' one is Adobe Type Manager (ATM). If I remember correctly, a third party desktop themes application (Kaleidoscope?) also gave me Painter startup problems until I uninstalled it in OS9, and Cookie Dog (OS9) wouldn't allow Photoshop to launch. Other than that, you could try using Conflict Catcher to troubleshoot the problem.

David

normando
11-01-2004, 04:59 PM
:applause: THANK YOU Sand Dragon! That was a real help! I turned off ATM and Painter opened fine. I don't know why I wasn't able to find anything about this on the Web. Using the ATM clue I WAS able to find one post about it on some other forum. But I'm glad you knew about it. Now I'll just have to figure out what to do about ATM. Just turn it off when I want to work in Painter, I guess. (Until I bite the bullet and upgrade everything to OS X and then get Suitcase.) Thanks again.

sand dragon
11-01-2004, 07:17 PM
That's great news normando :)

- glad you're back in business.

David

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.