PDA

View Full Version : Edge Loop Modeling Question.

byanfu
10-29-2004, 06:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone had some advise on what the best, most effective way would be to terminate the polygon at the end of an edge loop. I am using Dstormís edge tool (LW 7.5) but the last poly is always five sided. Typically I just split it and be done with it, but is there a technique that anyone would recommend that would result in two four side polys instead?

Also is there a plug-in that would let me split a poly in from a vertex to an edge. Edge tools seems to only split edge to edge?

gruvsyco
10-29-2004, 07:33 PM
not sure I can answer the first one but about the splitting a poly from vertex to edge... you can use divide (ikeda for 7.0+, built into 8) to split the edge then select the 2 vertices and run connect/bridge (also an ikeda tool that was integrated into 8).

byanfu
10-29-2004, 08:08 PM
That sucks. I finally found David Ikeda's page, but it looks like the tools are no longer available.

EvilE
10-29-2004, 10:09 PM
The tools are no longer available. They have been integrated into Lightwave 8, and my contract with Newtek does not permit me to offer them on my site anymore
Nice one NewTek :rolleyes: so everyone who wants the former free tools needs to upgrade ?
My luck i still have them on my hd .

Could you please give me your E-mail addy byanfu :)

EE

byanfu
10-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Thanks EvilE,

But I read in a few other threads that Newtek doesnít want the file distributed anymore. I understand their point, if I paid to have exclusive rights to distribute something then I wouldnít be happy if was still being distributed without permission. Besides I actually found out from gruvsyco that edge tools will do the trick, thanks though, I appreciate your hospitality.

SplineGod
10-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Theres other tools that can split edges and polys. Its not even that hard to use the standard tools like bandsaw. If you have to its no big deal to terminate into an nsided poly. Just triple it and merge every two triangles into quads. If you have an extra triangle its no big deal. Triangles work with SubDs as long as you dont have a bunch concentrated together.

byanfu
10-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Hi Larry,

That is what I have been doing and it does work well. Iím sort of on a modeling kick right now so been experimenting with different approaches in an attempt to learn something new. I figured I should consult the guruís for the state of the art techniques :). Also on a side note thanks to Larry and everyone else for all the posts over the years. I have been a lurker mostly until now but learned a lot from everyoneís insights and willingness to share new ideas. Maybe Iím just getting sentimental because the weekend is about to begin, but thanks.

SplineGod
10-30-2004, 12:22 AM
Thanks! :)
I tend to use tools that I can easily use as a reflex. Less thinking and more doing that way. :)

DaveW
10-30-2004, 03:03 AM
You can use dstorms edge tools to split from vertex to edge. Go from edge to edge like usual, then drag one of the blue points to a vertex.

edit: oh you already figured it out, I missed that post :)

byanfu
10-30-2004, 03:54 AM
You can use dstorms edge tools to split from vertex to edge. Go from edge to edge like usual, then drag one of the blue points to a vertex.

edit: oh you already figured it out, I missed that post :)
HAHA, yea I knew that you could slide the cut along the edge, but I didn't realize that if you pull it all the way to the vertex that it would slipt the poly there. I was making it more complex then it needed to be.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.