PDA

View Full Version : extracting depth information to use as a bump map

gregmightdothat
10-29-2004, 04:29 PM
I found nothing on this in a quick search around google... but is there a way to get the depth/z channel out?

Failing that, does anyone know if there's a specification of the RIFF file format anywhere? There seems to be a couple of different RIFF file formats and none of the specs I found have anything to do with Painter.

Thanks!

Garma
10-30-2004, 02:25 PM
I don't exactly understand what you mean.. painter being a 2d program, there's no depth or z information stored anywhere, except if you consider layering to extend your picture in the 3rd dimension, but well I don't really see how you would extract bump information from that..

gregmightdothat
10-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Painter stores bump information for some of the paint brushes (the most noticable are the impasto). This is how it shows some of the bump effects. This isn't just a cheap efffect either... you can adjust the lights around to different angles, change their angles, shininess, etc...

Because of this, it's really useful for painting bumps (it's hard to previsualize stuff in Photoshop, there's lots of back-and-forth-ing). Thing is, I don't know how I'd get this bump information out.

Thanks, though :P

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.