PDA

View Full Version : KVM switch bad for the LCD monitor?

tims3d
10-29-2004, 06:45 AM
Say I have two different computers with only 1 monitor, I want to get a KVM switch so I can use both pcs with 1 monitor, but I'm just wondering, is it bad for the lcd monitor if I switch them really frequently? I will try keep both systems in the same display setting if that helps.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

singularity2006
10-29-2004, 05:17 PM
you know, I've been wondering the exact same thing..... I do worry a bit, but with all the switching back and forth I've done, my NEC still works okay. Recently got a new Acer and it still works too. But if anyone has nfo, I'd like to know as well.

Sieb
10-29-2004, 05:23 PM
It shouldn't have any affect on the LCD. Though, its better if you get an LCD that has dual inputs. :) I constantly switch mine from my cube to my linux box, just press the Source button on front.

Tarrbot
10-30-2004, 12:07 AM
But Sieb, aren't you still using 2 keyboards and 2 mice when you do that?

In the last 3 months, we've moved 3000 users (physically) and we are constantly putting KVMs on LCDs. I see no issue with doing so and if I did, I would definitely do something else about it.

Sieb
10-30-2004, 01:06 AM
But Sieb, aren't you still using 2 keyboards and 2 mice when you do that? Yup, but you can still use a KVM with that setup also. I don't use a KVM because I use a wireless usb mouse and dont feel like worrying about it with linux.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.