PDA

View Full Version : Maya Renderers?

schumak
10-29-2004, 02:17 AM
Hello,

I was wondering, what good renderers are out there for Maya? I know there is Renderman (which i heard is hard to operate and every little thing will drive you crazy) and pretty much mentalray, which now is intergrated.

Are there any other good renderers out there and any that are coming?
Is maya planning on having better renders in the future??

annaleah
10-29-2004, 02:47 AM
Um....whats wrong with Mental Ray?
Turtle is a thiord party renderer,I havent gotten around to it but have heard good things(speed mainly).

eddgarpv
10-29-2004, 02:50 AM
I've seen that final render is planning something like that, as well as vray.
New renderers are on the way, like renderman for maya and maxwell.
Alternative renderers ony Turtle for Maya.

Turtle is integrated in Maya so you use only maya shading nodes. renderman for maya will be integrated too and will be more artist-focused (?).

Dunno about the others (since they say 'standalone').

schumak
10-29-2004, 02:51 AM
Um....whats wrong with Mental Ray?
Well, i am making a car model (which will be free for everyone to download) and i am worried that MentalRay won't do a good job on a car paint, mind you I don't know how to render well yet.

I will be posting that question soon, "How to do a car paint", anywho...Thanks for the reply.

annaleah
10-29-2004, 03:27 AM
Well, i am making a car model (which will be free for everyone to download) and i am worried that MentalRay won't do a good job on a car paint, mind you I don't know how to render well yet.

I will be posting that question soon, "How to do a car paint", anywho...Thanks for the reply.
Hmmm.....You havent even tried to make even the shader for this car paint but somehow you feel MR will let you down and you would like to know other renderers in case Mental Rays short comings result in a challenge?
Something is not quite right about this thread....I'll be showing myself to the perverbial door.

gmask
10-29-2004, 04:19 AM

There's a carpaint shader for the standard Maya render raytracer that will probably also work for Mental Ray located in the shader section at www.highend3d.com (http://www.highend3d.com)

schumak
10-29-2004, 04:59 AM
Haha, nah. I just wanted to know what knids of renderers are there for maya. Nothing to do with the car yet.

gmask
10-29-2004, 05:10 AM
Haha, nah. I just wanted to know what knids of renderers are there for maya. Nothing to do with the car yet.
Well if none of the ones that have been mentioned aren't good I don't know what is.:shrug:

schumak
10-29-2004, 05:26 AM
Oh no, everything's good...I just didn't know anything beyound Mental Ray for Maya :)

Now I have more things to look into, just personal knowledge I guess. I hear that Maya's main renderer is not all that good, that is why the question about renderers came across my mind.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.