PDA

View Full Version : SLF-119 Space Fighter

lede
10-29-2004, 02:40 AM
Here is a space fighter I've been working on for the past couple of weeks. I'm almost finished with the base design then it will be onto modeling details. Any C&C is welcome.

http://www.etekworld.com/galleries/albums/album02/Update10_28_04a.jpg
http://www.etekworld.com/galleries/albums/album02/Update10_28_04b.jpg

-Lee

gawain
10-29-2004, 01:13 PM
I like it!

I'm not sure where is the front, but it surely has an original design. It is quite realistic also, because it is not streamlined (who need it in the space). Something near future...
G.

lede
10-29-2004, 02:48 PM
gawain, Thanks man. Yeah that was the idea behind this design. It isn't design for atmospheric flight. Without the cockpit it is kind of hard to tell but the big disc represents the joint that will hold the cockpit.

-Lee

gawain
10-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Keep on postin' the progress. I'm curious to see the final!
G.

lede
10-31-2004, 03:04 PM
Here is a another update with the cockpit finished. I'm not sure if this is what I want so it my change but for now I'm going to now start detailing this thing out. Click on the image for a larger version. C&C is always welcomed.

http://www.etekworld.com/galleries/albums/album02/update103104.sized.jpg (http://www.etekworld.com/galleries/albums/album02/update103104.jpg)

DaveW
10-31-2004, 04:46 PM
I really like the design. I think too many spacecraft designs these days try to have a sleeker, rounded look to them. I think the boxy designs look a lot cooler. It has a more utilitarian look to it, but still aesthetically pleasing.

igorstshirts
11-01-2004, 07:38 PM
What's up... I'm going to bump this up for you so my ship thread isn't the only one "polluting" this great forum. I have some crits for ya...

This is a nice start. Breaking up the symm and adding some vertical shapes somewhere along the way would solidify the design...IMO. This will also create shadows along the length of the ship to define the overall volume.

So far, this looks like a hitch or a seperate component to another piece that would "snap" to it. It has a Robotech feel, with the jets being split like that. Some rounded pieces would bring a welcome contrast to the ship as a whole.

Lastly, if nothing else, some small lights to depict scale would be a nice addition. Nice!
Later on!

gawain
11-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Staying on the realism/near future look and feel, maybe you could design a cockpit that allows the better situation awarness for the pilot. I don't know exactly, but maybe you could put the module a little bit more elevated, or on a small tower/structure, or in a sphere...Dunno... Start from the function; it is so original, keep on this track!

just my couple.
G.

lede
11-02-2004, 07:46 PM
DaveW, I have to agree with you that a lot of design are very areo dymanic these days. My question is why do they need to be so aero dynamic. Also this is an exersize for me to learn UV mapping on simplistic designs so that I can learn a more complex work flow. Thanks.

igorstshirts, Thanks for the idea's. Now that the "Base" modeling is done I'm going to start adding small detials. The squarish design is on purpose. One so I can learn how to UV map my designs, two because it is fun to make something square fly. But yes I like your ideas and input it has made me think a littler differently. Please feel free to comment any time because it helps me become a better modeler and designer in the end. BTW I like your fighter. The color design is excellent.

gawain, Nice idea's. I'm not really happy how this cockpit turned out. Now then one shot I haven't show it that the cockput design can rotate to change perspective. Hrm I think I'm going to go back to the drawing board on the cockpit.

Well hopefully I'll get some time this evening to redesign it and have an update some time this week. Again thanks every one who has given me your comments.

-Lee

CourtJester
11-02-2004, 08:10 PM
DaveW, I have to agree with you that a lot of design are very areo dymanic these days. My question is why do they need to be so aero dynamic.
For operations in atmosphere and in very thin nebulae, of course. It depends on what pseudo-scientific base you are operating from, as well as the purpose of the ship. If you are going to question aircraft anachronisms in spacecraft, this design shows what looks like intakes and exhausts.... what is being taken in by such a design? And the profile as seen along its axis of flight still looks jet-ty to me.

Or, you could just put it down to aesthetics... sleek is cool, and familiar.

IMO it's tough to innovate in ship design, as designers are caught between the well-established and pretty much played out "aero" shapes, and the risk of going too far away from sensible physics with outlandish, fanciful designs that just leave the viewer with a sort of "wtf?" reaction.

I like this one, it has potential with texturing and effects.

lede
11-03-2004, 09:10 PM
CourtJester,

Thanks for the information. I think your right about the design concepts and I was wondering when someone was going to hammer me about those damned intakes :D but then again mabie their for collecting dust particles :shrug: Unfortianatly I'm sure this thing would drop like a rock from the sky if it entered any atmosphere.

-Lee

lede
11-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Its been a really busy few weeks so I haven't got much done but here is a start of texturing and also some more detail started.

http://www.etekworld.com/galleries/albums/album02/update110804.jpg

lede
11-14-2004, 11:48 PM
well I got a bit more time to work on this project this weekend and I decided to work on the landing gear. Here is what I got so far :D

http://www.etekworld.com/galleries/albums/album02/update11_14_04.jpg

C&C welcome

-Lee

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.