PDA

View Full Version : Dual 1.8 or Opteron?

Mantat
10-28-2004, 07:29 PM
Hi all!

I always see benchmarks of top of the line G5 and Opteron and never for the lower end CPU. I am interested in comparison of the dual 1.8 vs opteron 242 and 244 running Maya and some games.

Both systems are about the same price for identical config (for the 242, 244 is 350$ more) and I was wondering if the Opteron are fast enough to make me change my mind about my Apple only workflow...

Thx!

Neptunes
10-28-2004, 11:20 PM
I'm not sure if this would help, but www.gamepc.com has quite few reviews
on various dual cpu setups, except Apple stuff.

My guess would be to have a good look at them and based on the info you
already know (or have), make a guess.

Hope you'll find some answers.

kromekat
10-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Don't know if you will find the info you seek there, but for Cinebench tests, go here (http://www.3dfluff.com/mash/cbtop.php)

What I would say, is if you can, go for the dual 2Ghz G5 at least, it has other speed benefits, and more RAM capacity.

MadMax
10-29-2004, 04:22 AM
Hi all!

I always see benchmarks of top of the line G5 and Opteron and never for the lower end CPU. I am interested in comparison of the dual 1.8 vs opteron 242 and 244 running Maya and some games.

Both systems are about the same price for identical config (for the 242, 244 is 350$ more) and I was wondering if the Opteron are fast enough to make me change my mind about my Apple only workflow...

Thx!

G5 is nice, but Opteron is faster.

Mantat
10-29-2004, 01:20 PM
G5 is nice, but Opteron is faster.
I am trying to find hard numbers here, and faster by how much? I am not willing to sacrifice a little bit of speed to be vulnerable to virus, ever patching windows and networking prob. Also, is it the 240,242,244 that is faster than the dual 1.8G5?

kromekat:
I know the 2.0G is much better but its 800$can more which put it a little bit over my total budget.

Neptunes:
I will check that site thanks, I know some apple site that benchmark UT2004 so I will do some cross comparison there.

thx all for the infos!

Vertizor
10-29-2004, 02:20 PM
I am not willing to sacrifice a little bit of speed to be vulnerable to virus, ever patching windows and networking prob.
Than why take the chance? Just stick with Macs. Almost sounds like you've already made up your mind, but you're looking to see if there's anything to change your decision.

flipnap
10-29-2004, 02:27 PM
if your building a maya machine, without a doubt go opteron.. they are a custom fit for maya

lots
10-29-2004, 04:54 PM
if your building a maya machine, without a doubt go opteron.. they are a custom fit for maya
Heh. AMD probably didnt design the chip soully for Maya ;) Its definately not a custom fit. It may just show that the Opteron is a better architecture, at least in this case. Though, it is more likyly that Maya has been tailored to benifits brought by the Opteron..

MadMax
10-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Heh. AMD probably didnt design the chip soully for Maya ;) Its definately not a custom fit. It may just show that the Opteron is a better architecture, at least in this case. Though, it is more likyly that Maya has been tailored to benifits brought by the Opteron..
I'd chalk that up to technical innovations Maya just happens to mesh well with.

flipnap
10-29-2004, 06:22 PM
ha ha, nah i didnt mean that literally.. but amd and maya work very well.. if its just a maya machine i would strongly recommend it.. something about maya and floating pooint operations...

vinteg
10-29-2004, 07:38 PM
It comes down to how often you use Maya and play games. If you use Maya and games is your most important factor, then get the Opteron. You have more gaming options on the PC. With 3D, you basically need all the computer power you need.

If you are using Mac only software, such as Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro or Shake, then stick with the Mac. If you want to avoid viruses, spam mail, pop-up blockers, etc., and not have to worry about patching your computer, then stick with the Mac.

I work with both daily, but I personally own the first generation Dual1.8 G5. I love it, however I do mainly editing and compositing on it, instead of 3D though, and most of my games are consoles instead of computer games.

MadMax
10-29-2004, 07:57 PM
If you want to avoid viruses, spam mail, pop-up blockers, etc., and not have to worry about patching your computer, then stick with the Mac.
That is more than a bit of a fallacy.

You want to avoid Virus infection? simple. You do NOT use IE or Outlook, that's 90% of the problem right there. It's just that simple.

Firefox and Thunderbird for browsing and mail, OR just get Mozilla.

AVG anti virus is free, install and it runs automatically. protects and checks incoming and outgoing mail, scans downloads, quarantines suspicious files etc.

I haven't had a virus in years.

I give very little time to patching and all the other nonsense Mac users make wild claims about. It's an overblown argument.

Mantat
10-29-2004, 08:11 PM
You want to avoid Virus infection? simple. You do NOT use IE or Outlook, that's 90% of the problem right there. It's just that simple.

AVG anti virus is free, install and it runs automatically. protects and checks incoming and outgoing mail, scans downloads, quarantines suspicious files etc.

I give very little time to patching and all the other nonsense Mac users make wild claims about. It's an overblown argument.
These are for the email virus, they dont scare me much because I am a total paraoid about email from strangers and attachement. The real virus are the one that use windows backdoor or port la Blaster. No prevention can fix these, only firewall and even then its not 100% proof, even more so if you have to go in DMZ. Anyways, I dont want to start the virus on windows debate right now simply because its not a decisive factor in my case. I used pc for most of my computer years and know how to stay away from virus, its just that being on OSX really allowed me to relax on paraoia...

Anyways, the only benchmark I have seen is here : http://www.barefeats.com/pentium4.html and only talk about the G5 2.5 and Opteron at 2Ghz. And I would like to see the same for lower end systems...

vinteg
10-29-2004, 08:16 PM
That is more than a bit of a fallacy.

I knew that when I responded to this thread, this would happen.

I also have a P4 2.5Ghz at home. It has both Firefox and AVG installed on that as well. I do not use IE or Outlook on that machine. Since then, yes I haven't receive any viruses either.

I don't want to start a flame war here because its pointless and useless. I don't want to turn Mantat thread into a debate. However, you not the typical user and probably know more about maintaining your computer then the basic consumer. Either way, using a Mac or installing Firefox is the same. You're using the alternative. Avoiding the mainstream will save you for these problems.

Its like living in a neighborhood known for drive-by shooting, robbery, murder and such. Yes you could put up fences, install an alarm system and have guard dogs to protect you. However, isn't moving to a different neighborhood easier and save you from the paranoia?

MadMax
10-29-2004, 08:33 PM
I don't want to start a flame war here because its pointless and useless. I don't want to turn Mantat thread into a debate. However, you not the typical user and probably know more about maintaining your computer then the basic consumer. Either way, using a Mac or installing Firefox is the same. You're using the alternative. Avoiding the mainstream will save you for these problems.
Invariably this argument pops up in Mac vs. PC debates. Like I said, it is overblown. It doesn't tkae that much to be secure.

Further on the firewall virus etc. issue, AMD with WinXP sp2 has integrated firewall and NX bit protection which makes it even easier for noobs wandering around in the dark.

blocking ports is easy to eliminate the dangers of the internet. It only requires a bit of research, and most people know at least one guy they call the wizard.

For me, MacOS doesn't hold a lot of interest. I don;t care for Windows mind you, but then I look at the downside of MacOS.

Pros: secure, built on a unix variant. Has some compelling apps like Shake. Maya, Lightwave, Avid.......

Cons: has apps like Maya, Lightwave, Avid......
Lack of ability or severely limited ability to choose better video cards or drive subsystems.

Why cons for apps I listed as pros? because on Mac they are poorly supported. Virtually no 3rd party plugins at all. It has only been recently that Maya Unlimited was added to the Mac stable.

Mac certainly looks more attractive since G5, but is still very restricted.

On a positive note on the hardware, the biggest benefit the G5 has is that 1ghz "FSB" which is actually AMD's Hypertransport bus. Downside is the 2.5 G5's are apparently hotter than a P4. Apple has provided 2 separate cooling subsystems for the 2.5ghz models, which indicates problems.

In a couple of years I might consider a Mac seriously, but I'd have to see real 3rd party support that it just doesn't have now.

Vertizor
10-29-2004, 10:18 PM
There was an article recently that blasts all the public media for "talking too much" in regards to Mac security. Why is Windows the prime target for attackers? Because 90% of the world uses it. And the more people talk about how secure and impenitrable OSX is, the more attention it will get from hackers and virus writers. And heads up, there is now a root kit out for OSX. Doesn't take much, you know, with OSX being Unix and all.

Hardware routers can be hacked too, and they need firmware updates. If you're super paranoid, just don't plug your computer into the Internet.

vinteg
10-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Nothing is 100% safe. Check this article about Firefox security problems:

http://news.com.com/Major+browsers+bitten+by+security+bugs/2100-1002_3-5419714.html

You can put the Club, a car alarm, a killswitch, etc., on your car...but if a car thief really wants your car, there is no way of stopping him. The trick is to stop most of them and hope the professional car thief doesn't come lurking.

Like I said, using the alternative, whether it's a Mac or Firefox or whatever, stops most of these problems. Whatever you choose as your alternative is your choice.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.