PDA

View Full Version : PCI Sata Raid question

nrgy
10-28-2004, 11:31 AM
I'm currently runing the Tyan 2875 Opteron mb which has 4 sata ports connected to a onboard Silicon Image 3114 controler. I don't realy benchmark my hardware but I decided to see what I get with my 4 WD Raptor hd's in my raid 0 setup, to my suprise I was geting only 85-90mb sec. on sequental reads "Which sequental reads is what I'm after as I do video editing". I decided to only raid two drives and got 80mb sec. with just the two, I think I'm maxing out the bandwith for my onboard Silcon Image controler which means adding any more drives is useless for speed increases.

I know the differences in software/hardware raid and also IO was not a limiting factor to my read speeds. My motherboard only has pci 32 slot's which obviously have a maximum bandwith of 133mb/sec so I know I cant realy get above that which is fine for me

So I was curious if anyone else is runing any pci sata raid controlers with more then two drives in raid 0 or 5 and what their opinions of them were.

Thanks

Tarrbot
10-28-2004, 01:26 PM
What are you using to test this speed?

If Sandra, use something else. Sandra really blows chuncks for drive throughput testing.

I would recommend Intel's IOmeter. It's not as user-friendly as the others out there, but it gives very accurate readings.

nrgy
10-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks Tarrbot, I did use Sandra but I already knew it wasn't a trustworthy benchmarking tool. I did use IOMeter, HDTach and ATTO along with some linux benchmarking tools I cant seem to remember "Currently in windows as I'm writing :D". Pretty much every benchmark I tried I was geting 90mb/sec. :hmm: I dunno guess I'll try some more google'n on this subject.

[ Edit ]

I also forgot to mention that I use to have a 2 port sata card "Can't remember the brand for the life of me" which would get 100mb/sec read's when i only had 2 Raptor drives. Thats what makes me think maybe its the sil3114 chip.

imashination
10-28-2004, 03:34 PM
What makes you think your CPU can handle 90megs/sec of anything.

Do you have a creative soundcard by any chance? These are known to saturate the PCI bus with crap and take up around a quarter of the bandwidth doing nothing.

Tarrbot
10-28-2004, 03:48 PM
HD Tach had a problem reading correctly from RAID arrays, as well.

I haven't used the 3.x version but previous versions gave wildly inaccurate results on RAID arrays.

nrgy
10-28-2004, 04:07 PM
What makes you think your CPU can handle 90megs/sec of anything.

Do you have a creative soundcard by any chance? These are known to saturate the PCI bus with crap and take up around a quarter of the bandwidth doing nothing.

Well I know its not my Opteron's as I know many folks with them runing raid array's and I don't have a Soundblaster audio card. I messed aroudn with alot of different benchmarking tools as to try and weed out wrong results. I problably tested around 10 with all the same results of 90mb/sec so I'm quit sure regardless of which one I used that all would be messed up. Also if you know 2 or even 1 1.6ghz Opteron can't handle 90mb/sec then posting a link would of been more helpful, but then again I highly doubt thats likely to be the case.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.