PDA

View Full Version : Opteron performance problem

LarsSon
10-28-2004, 07:37 AM
Hi

Our company just bought new dual opteron 240 for rendering machine.
It's not anything special, but should have nice rendering times.

I have tested rendering speeds with basic network rendering jobs. I'm using this new opteron and my old p4 as rendering servers. Rendering times are allmost identical. Opteron is maybe 15% faster, but that is nothing what it should be.

I have been reading allkind of benchmarks using opteron in rendering stations, and dual opteron should beat p4 double, or even trible times.

Any ideas?

pleeaazzzz! Help me!

Computers:

dual opteron 240
1.5g ram
Tyan thunder s2882 Mboard

p4 3 Ghz
1.5g ram

Sorry, but i don't have much specifications for those machines, but i think the basic problem is easy to figure.

nrgy
10-28-2004, 07:49 AM
First off a reference to what scene's you are benching with would be helpfull, that being said the 1.4ghz Opteron isnt realy that fast for the Opteron lineup. I'm currently runing dual 1.6ghz Opteron's and they pretty much tend to render about 50% faster then my P4 3.0ghz setup I had a while ago.

One factor that I didn't see you mention is how you are rendering your scenes. Are you asigning 1 job per render node or are you tossing all nodes at a single job "I.E. all nodes rendering a single frame". If the later is the case then your slowest node is going to make all the other faster ones wait for it to finish or send out chunks to the other nodes. But again this depends on how you setup your batch rendering. But one thing to understand is even 2 1.4ghz 240 Opterons aren't going to be that much faster then a high clocked P4. Where you seen 2x and even 3x faster marks I do not know, maybe the problem is you seen those numbers for a 2.0ghz or even higher Opteron and not a 1.4ghz one.

imashination
10-28-2004, 09:23 AM
I have tested rendering speeds with basic network rendering jobs. I'm using this new opteron and my old p4 as rendering servers. Rendering times are allmost identical. Opteron is maybe 15% faster, but that is nothing what it should be.

dual opteron 240

p4 3 Ghz

Thats about right. The 240 is pretty much the slowest opteron you can get. With C4D, a single 3gig P4 gets 360 render points and a dual 240 gets 410, this matches exactly what you're saying.

Im afraid your computer wasnt really much of an upgrade from what you had; you now have slower single threaded performance and marginally faster multi threaded speed.

wurp
10-28-2004, 10:03 AM
Ouch, exactly what you DON'T want to hear when you just bought a new system :)

Thats about right. The 240 is pretty much the slowest opteron you can get. With C4D, a single 3gig P4 gets 360 render points and a dual 240 gets 410, this matches exactly what you're saying.

Im afraid your computer wasnt really much of an upgrade from what you had; you now have slower single threaded performance and marginally faster multi threaded speed.

LarsSon
10-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Thanks. Now i'm really happy... not.

I'm not so into these technical hardware details. But it seems that opteron 240 was a mistake. It's not a big problem, because this was just one "test version" node for renderfarm i'm building. So, i'm just saying "this is not as fast as you said. Give me something better".

But what could be the best option for lowcost rendernode? I'm trying to find something 2000/node. And then buing 6 of those machines. With 12k euros i should get a little renderfarm to speed up my work?

So what should i do?

nrgy
10-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Well I know on www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com) 2.8ghz EMT64 Xeons are $249 - US a piece compared to $190 - US for 1.4ghz 240's. So you could decide to spend the extra 50 bucks to get some nice Xeon's with HT for roughly the same cost as 240's while being somewhat faster. To get Opterons that would be comparable you'd have to atleast get the 1.8ghz and above which are alot more money. Now if this is out of the question your going to have to look at what kind of single cpu setups you can build to fit your budget.

xiao_x
01-05-2005, 03:07 AM
i buy opteron 246 yesterday and i see this forum today......
so sad and disapointed to hear that after buy the processor.
the p4 and opteron proccessor price have a big diffrence but the performance just only fast a little bit,then the opteron motherboard always expensive like a hell normally compare with pentium motherboard.
the p4 3.6ghz 800mhz ===>410usd in my country

then opteron 246 ===>440usd
but after plus the motherboard will be more expensive....so late...i already buy it ......

Wolfskin
01-05-2005, 05:45 AM
Maybe I am daft, but you are comparing a DUAL Opteron 240 to a SINGLE p4 and only getting +15%?

That Opteron should perform better if you are using it as a dual. Please give us a bit more info on the software you are using as well as the hardware, perhaps ppl in here can shed a little more light on the subject.

Wolfy out.

xiao_x
01-05-2005, 08:01 AM
wolfskin......i didin`t compare before because non of my friend have p4 3.6,then `LarsSon`
say that dual opteron faster than p4 only 15% in single.....after hear it i feel very disappointed.........

greyface
01-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Hmmm, are there any Opteron users who could give some insight into this? I have still not yet decided if I was going dual Xeon or dual Opteron for my render farm.... but this is quite disapointing for the Opteron, which is also very expensive.

imashination
01-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Dont assume because it says opteron on the box it will be fast. If you buy a fast opteron you will have a faster computer. If you buy the lowest end cheap opterons (240) then you will have a slow computer. Its as simple as that.

A dual 240 opteron is slightly faster than a 3 gig p4 at rendering, but a bit slower at everything else.

A dual 250 opteron is very fast and will beat the p4 at everything.

xiao_x
01-06-2005, 12:44 AM
imashination,that is not a model problem,but is the money problem.........
opteron is much much expensive than p4 but the performance only diffrence and better a bit....that is waste money to get or improve the computer speed like that...... :cry:
may i know dual opteron 246 equal to what model of xeon speed??

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.