PDA

View Full Version : How many games devs are using Zbrush 2?

caustic
10-28-2004, 02:22 AM
Hey guys and gals,

Just curious as to how many games developers are currently using Zbrush 2 in their art pipeline for characters?

Wanting to have some ammo for taking to my directors to add it to our pipeline, the more names the better.

Cheers

pthomas72
10-28-2004, 03:34 AM
Were using it over at ID.
Weta, Digital Domain, ILM, Almost everyone. hell! its cheap.

TVeyes
10-28-2004, 04:22 AM
Valve are also using it. Wether they are using it in their pipeline or simply evaluating it I don't know.

You can also check the names and companies on the Zbrush 2 Preview beta tester acknowledgements page (http://209.132.69.82/zbrush/zbrush2/acknowledgments.html).

Kevin Albers
10-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Essentially, every well-run game studio that is utilizing normal maps (and/or offset displacement maps) is using zbrush, or at least is looking into it. The main reason to not use it is ignorance, although for some it's learning curve is intimidating them so much that they are putting off learning how to use it.

Zbrush could certainly benefit from various improvements, but the version 2 is tremendously usefull for a variety of game-art tasks.

Of course, there are plenty of studios that aren't using normal maps or displacement maps, and plenty of artists that don't want to learn new tools, especially tools that have a steep learning curve. Blizzard's World of Warcraft is a hugely anticipated game, but I'm not sure zbrush has been use at all on that game, for example.

caustic
11-01-2004, 07:10 AM
TVeyes: Thanks man, the fact that most of the games companies on the beta list are AAA won't hurt my position. :P

Thanks everyone else too.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.