PDA

View Full Version : Operating System Not Found

Darko11
10-27-2004, 11:19 PM
Hey,
This morning I woke up to several error messages saying files I had set to download overnight could not be written to file. I could not really access anything or attempt to locate why they couldnt, the computer had froze. So I restarted but the screen read "Operating System Not Found"

What causes this? Is it a virus or is my computer harddrive just shoot, and do I need to get a new one? This had happened to me durring the summer as well, I thought it was a virus so I upped my protection. Luckily I had backed up my recent work.

Thanks

-Vormav-
10-27-2004, 11:41 PM
That's odd... Some of the files for your OS could just be screwed up, keeping the OS from booting. Or that could very easily be a harddrive on the edge of breaking down completely, if it hasn't already.
I'd try getting some bootdisks and running those to see if you can still even access your HDD. If you can do that just fine, and can make backups of everything, then reinstalling the OS would probably be a good idea. Maybe a complete reformat, for that matter.

sundialsvc4
10-27-2004, 11:49 PM
Unfortunately, the most likely culprit is that "your hard drive just failed." This could, of course, be very serious ... :argh: ... or you could turn out to be very lucky.

So after you :banghead: ... and after you :cry: ... and after you consider :buttrock: (but decide not to actually do it, 'cuz the world is still a beautiful place worth living in) ... and you even try :wise: but Shakti is not willing to fix what Shiva has done ... then you need to develop a plan.

First, and foremost, go out to a computer-store and buy a new drive. Maybe this time buy two, and plan to set up a RAID network. Remove the old drive and install the operating-system fresh on the new drive. Leave the existing drive alone until you get your system up-and-running correctly without it. Don't worry too much about the 3D software at this point.

Now, configure the drive as a slave and put it in. Make sure that the computer will not attempt to boot from it. Run Norton Utilities against it; anything and everything you can think of. It might be that most of the drive data is there, but a critical part like the partition-table is hosed up. Norton's actually pretty good at dealing with dead bodies, but you need to be working from the position of a live computer, looking at a malfunctioning slave (and therefore, non-essential) drive.

If you do not feel entirely comfortable doing this, then by all means locate a competent computer technician (not a red-shirted dweeb at CompUSA!) and pay him/her (reasonably) what is asked.

If you are lucky, the old drive should now be relegated to target practice. It actually makes a pretty good one. Not too good with a .22 but a 9mm shell really puts a nice hole in it. :cool:

novadude
10-28-2004, 12:03 AM
Check to see if the bios still detects a hd. Then, try to repair the bootloader on the harddrive. You may be lucky, and that part of the hd is only corrupted.

Darko11
10-28-2004, 05:08 AM
Wow thanks for all the adivice, and humor lol. I think I might go about whatever way and fix that hardrive then once it's up and running again just keep my maya machine offline, and use my other not-so good computer for music/chatting/and web surfing. Much appreciated.

Vertizor
10-28-2004, 06:39 AM
Don't be like James Bond. Never mix business with pleasure.

Darko11
10-28-2004, 07:27 AM
Well with two comps I wont be... but he does got alot of ladies... so i dunno:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.