PDA

View Full Version : free material library for all

Pages : [1] 2

visualboo
08-21-2002, 02:29 AM
In an effort to organize this ancient thread feel free to PM Taoizm (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=63) with any working links to online .mat files. Please add a quick description as to what's in the material file as well as any 3rd party plugins that are needed.
-Tony

Material libraries
http://www.pbstudios.co.uk/mat.rar
http://highend3d.com/3dsmax/downloads/shaders/

Mental Ray
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=104578

I've been thinking about collecting materials from people that would be willing to share, and compiling them all into nice neato librarys that everybody could download. It's all about the resources. :thumbsup:

Is anyone up for this? All you would have to do is "donate" 1 - 1 million shaders to the community. I know a lot of mapping is very custon based on the models, but wouldn't it be nice to have librarys full of stuff that can be reused like complete brick shaders, bathroom tiles, skins, metals, blah, blah, etc...?

I know this is gonna come up so.... I really want this to be full of AWSOME shaders. I want to try and keep this as highend as possible (damn I swore I would never say that word ;) ). I guess what it comes down to is if this works and everybody thinks it's a cool idea, then me and a couple other cg guys will dig through and pick out the best of the best and add those to the librarys. Oh well, I'm not to that part yet :)

So what do you guys think? Awsome librarys of downloadable shaders for everybody?

erilaz
08-21-2002, 02:52 AM
I would certainly contribute, or at least supply some decent textures.

Good, free, royalty free textues are hard to come by these days!:D

Chico
08-21-2002, 03:01 AM
Im in, Ive created a few that Im happy to share with the world.

visualboo
08-21-2002, 03:44 AM
awsome, I think this is gonna rock :bounce:

I'll post some more details once more people read this.

Chico
08-21-2002, 03:56 AM
Heres one I have already uploaded...just to get the ball running.

A few people asked me how I created this image here,
http://www.oneglasseye.co.nz/uploads/clay/plasticine04.jpg
And I threw up a basic tut on how to here...
Procedual plasticene Tutorial (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12603&highlight=clay)

And heres the Material...
Procedual plasticene Material (http://www.oneglasseye.co.nz/uploads/clay/plast.mat)

Hope this helps a bit.
Most of what I do is hand drawn and Ill keep them to myself as its also often commercial work. BUt Im happy to share alot of my procedual stuffs.:thumbsup:

Chris
08-21-2002, 04:00 AM
which reminds me C, I still haven't gotten to see your show on TV, I always get home half an hour late - I must remember to get my g/f to tape it for me! I saw the squirrel advert though... :thumbsup:

That plasticine texture rules!! :beer:

Chico
08-21-2002, 04:05 AM
Cheers Chris,

LOL the squirrel one is evil :surprised
Disturbed Hawick forever I think.

4:55 remember. Getting heaps of postive feedback too. Thinking of doing an Animation Forum to spin off from the series for us lowely old NZers :scream: and aspiring animators within.

erilaz
08-21-2002, 05:16 AM
I don't want to side-track from the thread, but what show is this Chico? Sounds intriguing!:D

Chico
08-21-2002, 05:27 AM
Side tacking...the show is Animation Station. Its a Five minute compalation of student and hobbist animation aimed at the children audience. The host, Dando (Clay-mation), is running a prirate TV show and broadcasting two or three animations per episode to the world...etc.

Our role was simply doing the title sequence and we had to use lotsa different media as they wanted to encourage lots of different animation submissions, 2d, 3d claymation, flash, cel ...everything. Hence having to develop a clay texture to add in some extra clay elements into the sequence.

Anyway its turned out quite sucessful and young animaters are getting right into it and there looks as if there is need for a NZ (and Aussie of course) community. Well see how things go.

well thats enough of that, we better keep this thread on track as its going to be a good one. Any other info you want just email me or PM me.

Cam

derelict
08-21-2002, 05:48 AM
Count me in too.:)

Keep me posted. Do we post it up here or some place else?

Glad to be of service.

visualboo
08-21-2002, 02:15 PM
Chico, thanks man. First one in the books :) Anymore? :D :D

Ok, I figured that people could just email the shaders to me at booie@visualboo.com

Once I get enough to assemble a decent library I'll post the details so everyone can download away. I'll have a section dedicated to these librarys on my site when there complete.

Don't forget there's a ton of possiblilities here that aren't too custom. Water, Mud, Gravel, Dirt, Skin, Metal... ahh you get the idea.

cdinic
08-21-2002, 02:24 PM
SO excited! This is a great Idea.. I wish I could contribute more...

visualboo let me know if there is anything I cna do to help you. cleaning them up, or setting up the web page, anything

-Chris

CHRiTTeR
08-21-2002, 04:12 PM
Soo, the only thing I have to do is mail my Material library to u (+ the needed bitmaps)?

When your collection is ready, how are u gonna let us know?

Great idea by the way!

visualboo
08-21-2002, 05:00 PM
Chritter, yup. If your going to send a couple things just zip it to keep things in order.

Basically, whatever makes the material work... send it.

When your collection is ready, how are u gonna let us know?
I will post here, but.... if you want to bookmark my site, I'll have a section dedicated to this.

I guess I should also mention that you should ONLY SUBMIT SHADERS THAT ARE ROYALTY FREE, AND THAT YOU DON'T MIND SEEING IN THE NEXT GREAT FILM, GAME, COMMERCIAL. Basically you're giving up all rights on these... for the good of the community.

Joebount
08-22-2002, 11:35 AM
Do you accept shaders done with special plugins (BLUR) ?

visualboo
08-22-2002, 03:26 PM
Yes, but if it requires anything besides just max, then if you don't mind... just write a small txt file saying the required plugs/scripts and put that in the zip.

I'm also thinking it could be cool to separate these into categories like>

Brazil shaders
Vray shaders
Max shaders
etc...

and then maybe under those have sub-categories for things like metal, wood, etc...

what do you guys think?

CHRiTTeR
08-22-2002, 03:28 PM
It would also be nice that everyone could post some thumbnails here of their materials they send in (just a suggestion) :p

BEEEEEEER !!! :beer: :beer:

visualboo
08-22-2002, 03:47 PM
Yes, but I'm not going to include every shader that people send in. :beer:

That's a good idea though. Maybe I will make a small gallery of each category on my site before you DL them.

FatAssasin
08-22-2002, 06:28 PM
I have a bunch of materials I've made, just as experiments. You're free to download the .mat file and do what you will with it.

http://jhaywood.com/pixels/models.htm

The link is at the bottom of the page.

scribble
08-23-2002, 08:46 AM
Be sure to know, that if i ever produce a half way decent shader, I will send it in. I think that if people are kind enough to upload their shaders, then people who use them could contribute what they can.
Good idea Visualboo. :thumbsup:

markdc
08-23-2002, 09:04 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. I'll try to come up with atleast one good one.

Joebount
08-23-2002, 11:46 AM
MODS !!! STICKY THREADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD PLEASE !!!

Joebount
08-25-2002, 12:49 PM
bump !

jone
08-25-2002, 01:47 PM
great idea!
i will make couple mat's for it..

cloak
08-26-2002, 04:42 AM
check out my website for some MAT's for 3ds and a ton of source textures - nothing cropped or done, just source stuff that I snap all the time w/ my camera.

http://texturedump.sabren.com/matlib/matlib.htm

CHRiTTeR
08-27-2002, 08:48 PM
Looks a bit like those spirits in Final fantasy: the spirit within.

time_101
08-27-2002, 09:06 PM
hells yeah! :buttrock: i think learning by example -- getting in and tweaking an existing shader, seeing what all the settings are, is a good way to learn how to make a decent shader rather than trial and error, plus it shows some little tricks that might not be thought of otherwise

AJ
08-31-2002, 11:09 AM
Count me in!

I'll start digging some up now...

One thought - what format are these going to be in? I mean, if someone does a material for Max 5, I'm assuming the mat file will go arse up in Max 4?

:shrug:

Joebount
08-31-2002, 11:35 AM
You can send everything, just add a txt and the needed files (eg : tells if you need extra plugins, if it's a brazil shader, etc.)

visualboo
08-31-2002, 07:34 PM
Sorry AJ, and thanks Joe... ummm... yeah, what he said :D

Just title the zip something like this>

metal_brazil.zip
booger_vray.zip
dirt_standard.zip (standard being the default scanline)

What do you guy's think I should do, put all these zip's into one big zip with all the original txt files... or compile them all into there respective matlibs so you can just open it in max?

One thought - what format are these going to be in? I mean, if someone does a material for Max 5, I'm assuming the mat file will go arse up in Max 4?
Good point, I think materials in max are pretty backward compatible though. I'll have to test some.

Nikodemus
09-02-2002, 01:52 AM
what is a shader? how do you use it? and how do you make one?

Nikodemus
09-02-2002, 01:52 AM
dang... double post.. sorry .. my finger went bananas :(

visualboo
09-02-2002, 03:20 AM
Let me add final render matlibs to that list btw.

Nikodemus: Were just talking about materials in Max. Press the "m" key. :)

Fede
09-02-2002, 07:34 AM
Hey all,

I think i missed it, but where do i send the mat libs to?

thanx.

CHRiTTeR
09-02-2002, 01:46 PM
Where can we have a quick look @ the mateials u already have collected ? :bounce:

visualboo
09-02-2002, 02:11 PM
Fede: booie@visualboo.com thanks man

CHRiTTeR: sorry man, it's just not possible yet. I'll let you know when though.

Xilica
09-02-2002, 02:32 PM
Sorry. I don't have any at this moment. I'm still getting good at 3ds max.

When I get better though I'll donate any materials I think are worthy to fit in the library.

- Mike

capblood
09-03-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by visualboo
What do you guy's think I should do, put all these zip's into one big zip with all the original txt files... or compile them all into there respective matlibs so you can just open it in max?

Create matlibs, please.
Is hard to examine tons of zips.:shame:

scribble
09-03-2002, 12:35 PM
Agreed. :)

visualboo
09-03-2002, 05:42 PM
oke doh key.... Matlibs it is (unless someone steps up to the plate).

Joebount
09-03-2002, 07:43 PM
Hey Visual, you should post some examples of the shaders you already have received ;) I guess it could attract people, if you know what I mean :D

visualboo
09-03-2002, 08:09 PM
yeah, that might be cool

I actually haven't really recieved as many as I was hoping for. It's picking up some steam though.

I'll try and whip together some samples as soon as I have time.

chudofsinister
09-05-2002, 01:36 PM
This is an awsome idea, I have asked myself why a forum for Max shaders was never really available. You see maya shaders all over the place. Rock and Roll.

spec0r
09-07-2002, 11:39 AM
awesome idea!

Im new to the game, so my materials arent anything to spectacular, if however i do come up with any half decnt i'll be sure to submit it.

looking forward to seeing whats on offer~

Xilica
09-07-2002, 07:46 PM
When is this library of textures gonna happen?

I'm looking for textures rite now. Are there any sites with a few textures I could use? Like abstract or cool textures. Thanks.

- Mike

Dominique
09-08-2002, 11:15 AM
great work,

:bounce::beer: :bounce:

visualboo
09-08-2002, 09:41 PM
xilica: All in good time. :D I'm mid move right now, so it's hard for me to do anything but hopefully soon I'll get my system back up and make some previews for everybody.

btw... These are going to be full shaders, not just textures.

Dominique: :beer:

pete
09-09-2002, 07:28 AM
Check this out, it could be helpfull
http://www.maxshade.com/shades.html

Jordy gave me the link
oh and I'm sending you a material to add to the collection Visualboo.

markdc
09-10-2002, 07:06 AM
vboo,

When are you going to post what you have so far?

Welcome to Cali:)

cdinic
09-12-2002, 02:38 AM
visualboo: these ppl seem eagar to presure you into posting previews without offering any assistance. You do as much as you can and be certain we are all very greatfull of all your hard work no mater the outcome.

-Chris

markdc
09-12-2002, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by cdinic
visualboo: these ppl seem eagar to presure you into posting previews without offering any assistance. You do as much as you can and be certain we are all very greatfull of all your hard work no mater the outcome.

-Chris

I was one of the mat donaters. I don't want previews, just the mats. And I'd be glad to help.

visualboo
09-14-2002, 07:40 PM
cdinic: Thanks a lot :beer:

Give/Receive ratio: 3/5000
I really don't think I have as many as you guys all think I do... soooo.... C'mon guys, keep sending them in :bounce:

Xilica
09-14-2002, 09:21 PM
As far as materials, can we send in abstract materials that mean nothing but look cool?

visualboo
09-14-2002, 10:39 PM
Yeah, that's the whole point :) Fire away

Just don't send in 50 of your best chrome/glass shaders. Things that are easily created with a couple of tweaks could be left out too.

visualboo
09-14-2002, 11:21 PM
ok, Here they are.

Not very many yet but I'm going to constantly update them when I receive new ones. So keep sending them.

Thanks everyone :bounce:

Get'em here (http://www.visualboo.com/html/freebies.htm)

JBruckner
09-14-2002, 11:50 PM
Dude, this is totaly cool, thanks so much for gettting this started, I know I am late, but I will work on some mats. One question I tired to read the whole thread and I could nto find an answer but do the mats have to be just max on, like no bit maps or bump maps.

visualboo
09-15-2002, 05:41 AM
Glitchwolf: Well, basically this is going to get pretty big (I hope) and it's really going to be tough for me to organize all this. What I mean by that is making sure all these work properly, what plugs they need, should I zip them all individually with there needed files included. It's getting tought already :) So that's why I decided to go with the whole "as is" thing. I'm leaving it up to the end user to get these working properly. You know... some models will require displacement maps applied and so on.

To answer your question.... just send everything that's needed to make the material work minus plugins.
Oh and zip them with a name like Brazil_your name.zip. Whatever, it doesn't matter so long as I can make out which renderer it's for.

edit: Sfinktinator, sorry... did you send a material? Thanks btw.

Xilica
09-15-2002, 06:57 PM
LOL. I don't know how to create glass and chrome materials. How do you guy make sweet wood or glass materials? Do you guys play around with the material editor and master its options?

Also, thanks for the link VisualBoo. GREAT JOT!!! :thumbsup:

JBruckner
09-15-2002, 07:37 PM
Ummm, dont mena to be dumb but what is a final render mat, I have no idea?

gaggle
09-16-2002, 02:23 PM
a material library for the finalRender (http://finalrender.com) er..render. Just like the Brazil ones are for the Brazil render-thingie.

visualboo
09-16-2002, 03:44 PM
Yup, there renderer specific materials.

If you go download the beta of brazil, you'll see that it installs a material type of it's own. That's what will be in the brazil zip.... and so on.

btw, does anyone know if the materials from the brazil beta work in Brazil v1.0.

3dsmax5
09-17-2002, 01:05 PM
Really great idea... :applause:
Have sent some materials...

visualboo
09-17-2002, 04:35 PM
very cool stuff max5. Thanks :thumbsup:

edit: Matlib on site updated :thumbsup: Here (http://www.visualboo.com/html/freebies.htm)

Equinoxx
09-17-2002, 05:20 PM
Visual Boo my man, just wanted to say "excellent initiative man"

that's what i'd like to see . . . give back to the community :thumbsup:

visualboo
09-17-2002, 05:25 PM
just testin with some displacement

edit: EQ: I try :)

Equinoxx
09-17-2002, 05:36 PM
that left one looks like a nice material . . . that in the zip too ??

visualboo
09-17-2002, 05:53 PM
yup. I tweaked a couple small settings though

Mangalaranja
09-17-2002, 07:14 PM
Hi everybody,i dont' know if this has happened to anybody else but i couldn't open the Matlib 'cause i get a "viewportmanager.gup file missing" error .Does anyone know how to solve this?

Equinoxx
09-18-2002, 07:04 AM
omg . . . VisualB . . . you saved the matlib from max 5 didn't ya ??

viewportmanager.gup is the viewport handler in max 5 and unfortunately it get's baked into every file saved with max5 . . .

scribble
09-18-2002, 07:16 AM
It just occured to me, with all the files in the one zip, it could become cumbersome downloading the same file over and over? Well it's only a few kb anyway.. so i guess that dosnt really matter much at the moment.

visualboo
09-18-2002, 04:33 PM
EQ: yes I did :surprised I still have 4.2 installed though so I'll try and fix'em today. Thanks

scribble: Yeah, I thought about that a while ago. To answer your question... just replace the old one everytime, :) out with the old, in with the new. :D

The bigger problem is that after a while the file is going to get kinda big. :shrug: Any ideas on organization that won't kick my butt?

visualboo
09-18-2002, 04:49 PM
actually a couple of the files that were sent to me must have come from max 5. I cant open them in 4.2 either.

That SUCKS... Is there a way around this? Anyone?

visualboo
09-18-2002, 05:05 PM
nope nope nope :)

I tracked it down to one guys mat file. I'll try and get ahold of him to try and fix it.

Sorry guys.

[edit] Man this is weird :) OK so what it's doing is trying to open max 5 material types that don't exist in 4.x (ie. no toon shader). So that means more work for me. :) I guess I'll just split them into 2 categories. 4 and 5. All the max 5 users will be able to DL any of them tho.

doug_
09-19-2002, 02:33 AM
VisualBoo, thanks for clearing that up with the veiwport manager error, i d/ld the library and got that error, but didn't want to bother anybody with it... i thought it was my system playing up :)
will hopefully send u some contributions quite soon

visualboo
09-19-2002, 02:42 AM
no prob.

If you guys get errors, let me know. Even if it is just a small error... just send a quick email. That's the only way I can tell if there's something wrong.

Sgt.ArchAngel
09-19-2002, 03:51 PM
dont mind sharing my magma material done with no plugins
all defualt max
if you want it
let me know if you want it and where to upload it

http://uploader.axsstudios.com/images/Magma.jpg

Nik Clark
09-19-2002, 09:11 PM
There are a handfull of Brazil procedural materials on my website at http://www.nikclark.com/materials.htm

There's also a few bitmap textures.

scribble
09-20-2002, 05:32 AM
Hey, nice materials guys.
Nice stuff on your site to Mr Clark. :applause:

oneguy
09-20-2002, 08:04 AM
Found it.

10X

3dsmax5
09-20-2002, 12:00 PM
About the ToonShader I made...its not the new Ink&Paint shader...It's much faster...and works with max 3 and 4 too :beer:
Maybe a bit trickyer to use and not as advanced but Its Lightning fast! :D
Arch Angel: Wow! thats a nice shader! :applause:
send it to VisualBoo: booie@visualboo.com
:thumbsup:

3dsmax5
09-20-2002, 12:07 PM
about the ToonShader again... :p
I have updated it to make it easier to change color :buttrock:
sent to VisualBoo....

visualboo
09-20-2002, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys....

Keep'em comming

Xilica
09-22-2002, 03:56 PM
I downloaded it, all I get is the VisualBooScanline.mat

how do I use the materials?

visualboo
09-23-2002, 12:15 AM
Open the Material Editor (M key) and just below the material previews... there's a bunch of buttons... Click the one all the way on the left. That opens a window. Click Library on the top left. Then click open below that. Now just locate the file you saved.

Enjoi

Ian Jones
09-24-2002, 12:13 PM
Where are you hosting this *.mat ?? I can't find it on your website VisualBoo... where is it? Is it only Max5?

visualboo
09-24-2002, 10:03 PM
It's in the "freebies" section.... it shouldn't be that hard to find ;)

Yes, right now there's only a Max5 .mat file for the scanline renderer. Check it out tho. You'll understand when you go to the site. :thumbsup:

Xilica
09-24-2002, 10:06 PM
for me it says it is missing the DLL's.

X99
09-25-2002, 12:07 AM
Same here, what plugs are needed or scripts in order to get all the materials to work?

And, I have a ton of good materials for people to use, but they are map intensive. Are you taking materials with Maps, or should I just direct them to a download once I compile them all?

- Conrad:bounce:

Ian Jones
09-25-2002, 12:47 AM
Doh, I thought as much... will they work with MAX 4?

visualboo
09-25-2002, 02:17 AM
for me it says it is missing the DLL's.
It should open a small window that says what plugs it's missing.

Same here, what plugs are needed or scripts in order to get all the materials to work?
I'm leaving that up to the user to get all the plugs. Most if not all are free.

And, I have a ton of good materials for people to use, but they are map intensive. Are you taking materials with Maps, or should I just direct them to a download once I compile them all?
Email everything that's needed for the materials to work except plugs/scripts. Just zip it all. :thumbsup:

Doh, I thought as much... will they work with MAX 4?
Working on that... sorry.

Xilica
09-25-2002, 02:49 AM
oh i need to plugs?

aite thanks for tellin me

Bane
09-25-2002, 10:36 PM
I may have accedentaly clicked no, but I think this is a wonderfull idea.

Now are we talking mats, or shaders, or both? I see talk of both so Im confused.

visualboo
09-26-2002, 12:52 AM
I'm talking about .mat files in Max. But.... they're the same thing. All the other apps use the term shader... which is why discreet should use it too, but no.. material it is.

www.visualboo.com

Xilica
09-26-2002, 11:13 PM
Hey Visualboo,

This is probably one of those questions that you aren't aloud to answer, but What plugs do we need so then I can order them.

Thanks.

visualboo
09-27-2002, 04:28 AM
When you open the .mat file, it whould pop up a little window saying what dll's your missing.

check this>

Xilica
09-28-2002, 01:10 AM
Alright thanks.

gnarlycranium
09-28-2002, 03:25 PM
I was pretty proud of myself when I created this stuff... for hammered copper bands to go around some posts of a house I'm building in 3D from the plans... tossed a little oxidation on there too with one of the metal maps that comes with the default MAX texture library. The hammering is a simple noise bump map, uvw from object, so size will matter when it's used-- for reference, the sphere in this pic is 8" in diameter.

visualboo
10-06-2002, 08:48 PM
Just to let everybody know... the files have been updated. Nothing major though.

Click the link in my signature :thumbsup:

gnarlycranium
10-07-2002, 09:49 AM
Gah-- should mention, that copper one I just posted is from Max 4.2... dunno if that makes any difference to anybody.

visualboo
10-07-2002, 05:46 PM
yeah, this is a little more complicated than it seems. Just trying to make a 4 compatible .mat file is wreckin me.

CHRiTTeR
10-09-2002, 10:56 PM
Looks like I have to make some more materials to keep this thing alive ! :)

Common people... DONT STOP POSTING MATERIALS HERE.
It's really looking nice so far.

:wavey:

CHRiTTeR
10-10-2002, 12:14 AM
Voila, here it is.

Tried to make that magic-car-paint thing.

Attached a animated gif to show u what I mean.
Watch the specular color change as the angle of light changes....

visualboo
10-10-2002, 02:17 AM
Thanks CHRiTTeR :thumbsup:

Jurenic
10-12-2002, 06:07 PM
I'm in, i have some high quality car paint shaders.

visualboo
10-13-2002, 02:09 PM
Send'em on in :buttrock:

CHRiTTeR
10-14-2002, 12:46 AM
Well I've updated my Magic Carpaint material, but I will not send it to visual yet... Still trying to get that speckle-look done.

Also, you'll nnotice that the specular color isn't affected anymore by the lighingangle. This is because I totaly restarted from zero using an other technique (wasn't satisfied with the previous version). Previous version is still available in the lib though.

Updates/changes done:
Made it a composite material. A basic metal material + a shiny transparent/reflective layer.

Till next update (hopefully the last one :) )

GReeTZ,
CHRiTTeR

PS: MORE SHADERS !!!!!

markdc
10-14-2002, 07:30 PM
yeah, this is a little more complicated than it seems. Just trying to make a 4 compatible .mat file is wreckin me.

Can you post them as separate mat files instead a combined mat lib? I know the material that I sent will work in max 4.

visualboo
10-14-2002, 08:25 PM
Yeah, there are materials that work with 4 but to be honest, it takes time to separate them and time is something I don't have right now.

If someone is willing to assemble these into separate matlibs, or just organize them, let me know and I'll send you the original files. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys

Equinoxx
10-14-2002, 09:04 PM
max 4 library is in the worxx as of now ;)

3dsmax5
10-15-2002, 07:16 AM
Sent some more materials....

SeaShader:

visualboo
10-15-2002, 10:21 PM
Thanks 3ds. :beer:

I uploaded the max4 matlib. Enter the mad rush. :buttrock:

A big thanks goes to Equinoxx for converting the 5 lib to 4. Thanks bud.

[edit] There ya go EQ... the avatar has returned ;)

Equinoxx
10-16-2002, 06:59 AM
whooo return of the boo-vatar :D

as for the conversion no thx . . . it's been my pleasure . ..

just let me know when new ones arive that need to be 'downversioned' [ yeah that's right, I just made that word up ;)]

erilaz
10-21-2002, 05:47 AM
Hey, I know I promised untold riches of shadery goodness, but I've been super-busy. I'll get down to work soon. Got some nice ash and charcoal shaders I want to put up. Well, I hope they're nice.:D

toddy333
10-26-2002, 01:52 AM
Why not try and have a realistic grass material in this collection? Does anyone know how to do it?

Bmud
10-26-2002, 03:59 AM
Hello all. Excuse me if my first post is lacking vitality -- I just found this whole forum out about 20 minutes ago, and it's like a religious experience...

In any case, I'm always up for helping out. I havn't read all the posts, there are quite a lot. bare with me if I repeat some things.

- I suggest giving examples like Chico did on how each texture can be applied to a model showinga proper use.
- It would be wise to make this project into an entire site.
- When displaying the textures, I suggest linking bump maps, alpha maps etc on the side of the thumbnails.

On that note, I may contribute some textures in the future, but currently I have nothing of value to offer.

visualboo
10-26-2002, 04:45 AM
erilaz: Send away man... whenever you get some time.

toddy333: Grass is pretty easy to do. What method are you using for your grass?

Bmud: Yeah, this is a cool place isn't it?

- I suggest giving examples like Chico did on how each texture can be applied to a model showinga proper use.
I agree. Need more time.

- It would be wise to make this project into an entire site.
Would be nice but also requires time...... and money.

- When displaying the textures, I suggest linking bump maps, alpha maps etc on the side of the thumbnails.
ummm... little thumbs next to the big thumbs? how come?

Take care
-Booie

Zlemr
10-26-2002, 03:33 PM
Ive created two materials that i'd like to share, however i dont exactly know how to 'export' them 'cause ive never done that before so a little help would be much appreciated...

The first, not sure about the english word for it but im guessing it would be, a sweepingelectron beam?
http://w1.185.telia.com/~u18511026/3ds_Max/svepelektron.jpg

The second is based on the first but gives kind of a slimey/gooey look...

http://w1.185.telia.com/~u18511026/3ds_Max/gooeystuff.jpg

Bmud
10-26-2002, 11:26 PM
Not thumbnails! just buttons.. I got ahead of myself with that comment. Let me lay something out, allrighty? I've been into web development for a few years, and I'm starting to learn how to make navitely database driven websites -- like this one -- for dynamic application. A friend of mine is running his own web services, and provides server space for $12/mo & 500mb (for example). It not impossible, and in the long run, wouldn't it be benificial to everyone?

www.neoservers.com :D

I would be happy to help out on this project. I know enough php to get things rolling. Anyone else into the idea?

toddy333
10-27-2002, 08:38 AM
Hey Visualboo thanks for the responce. I am trying to get a grass material that will be used for grass from a long distance away that looks realistic. I could use grass-o-matic but too too much polygons. I think it needs a great bump map to make grass look like it stands up but I can't get it to look right. I am just asking this question to get some opinions, gain some experience and save a little time. From a long ago post from a different site that I can't remember I found a picture and an almost complete material for grass (I think it is missing a specular shader and a correct bump map). Check out what the shader can do in the picture. I can send you the incomplete shader if you like. I would complete it but I am new to the business. But if it can be finished it would be a great shader to put into the pot. I have the post on a text file if you need more info. I think it may have a falloff on it as well (view). Maybe I am asking in the wronge post area?

TheCaptn
10-27-2002, 09:18 AM
I don't suppose there's anything anyone can do for us poor saps who're gonna be stuck using MAX R3.1 for the next, oh, 50 years or so... ;)

I tried the Max 4 matlib just in case, but it doesn't work. I'm just left with an empty map browser.

Thanks anyway... Some of those procedurals are stunning (ice... amazing).
I had no idea you could do so much with them. I've always relied on photoshopped maps.

On a side note, anyone know of some good tut's on making procedurals so I can have a crack at making my own?

visualboo
10-27-2002, 10:17 AM
Bmud:
A friend of mine is running his own web services, and provides server space for $12/mo & 500mb (for example).
how about you spot me 12 chops a month.... or..... ask your friend for some free space. :thumbsup:

toddy333: send that sucker... booie@visualboo.com

TheCaptn: sorry dude. I can't support all versions.

toddy333
10-27-2002, 11:04 AM
As I read the text file included in the zip with the shader I realize that the shader is 99% complete. It only needs a inlarged bump map texture? I think. But defenitly not much work at all is needed. Anyway, I sent it. Thanks again.

TheCaptn
10-27-2002, 05:02 PM
Is there any way I can make them R3 compatible and send them back to you? I'm happy to give it a shot, I just dunno if it's possible.

markdc
10-28-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by TheCaptn
I don't suppose there's anything anyone can do for us poor saps who're gonna be stuck using MAX R3.1 for the next, oh, 50 years or so... ;)

I tried the Max 4 matlib just in case, but it doesn't work. I'm just left with an empty map browser.

Thanks anyway... Some of those procedurals are stunning (ice... amazing).
I had no idea you could do so much with them. I've always relied on photoshopped maps.

On a side note, anyone know of some good tut's on making procedurals so I can have a crack at making my own?

You can try SimbiontMAX (I believe it works with max 3). http://www.darksim.com/html/simbiontmax.html

sireel
10-28-2002, 01:43 PM
I've got two that I worked on the first being a variation of neil blevins alien slim..... not sure if you guys what this seeing as its not that much different from Neil Blevins version:

sireel
10-28-2002, 01:47 PM
the second one I came up with as a result of seeing veiny skin texture on a website ad wanted to make my own with proceedurals, not sure if you want this one... still in need of some work..... it requires blur's electric plugin

visualboo
10-28-2002, 06:30 PM
Sir Eel: Send'em both. booie@visualboo.com

mouj
10-30-2002, 01:21 PM
howdy folks !
just stumbled on this thread, i've had some fun with shaders too when i discovered Neil Blevin's tut too :p
here are a couple shots tell me if those shaders are of any interest (i think they're all procedural-based - have to check the files, though).

mouj

mouj
10-30-2002, 01:22 PM
there's a couple ones ....
(sorry don't know how to attach multiples images in one thread)

mouj
10-30-2002, 01:23 PM
another one...

mouj
10-30-2002, 01:24 PM
one more ....

mouj
10-30-2002, 01:26 PM
and a last one for the sake of it : )

Fede
10-30-2002, 01:53 PM
Ho my G-d, those are the funkiest ever !!! send them to Visualboo quick i want to play !!

visualboo
10-30-2002, 02:48 PM
hehe... those look interesting.

Please send to booie@visualboo.com

JBruckner
11-01-2002, 02:16 AM
Lovely, the last few mats are looking amazing I really wonder how you did them. Cant wait for them to be added!

mouj
11-01-2002, 10:16 AM
howdy ! thanks and sorry for the delay, i have to look for them in my old files :rolleyes:
but it's coming !
if i remember well it's a mix of procedurals maps, falloffs and probably a base bitmap... i'm quite sure that they all came from Neil's tutorial, derived and tweaked...

as soon as i have them and collect all that's needed to use them they'll be in your mail, Visualboo :)

(actually now i'd like to find them back to use them too !!)

mouj

gnarlycranium
11-02-2002, 02:33 AM
Okay, okay.. I feel dumb. I'll redo mine with just procedurals instead of those bitmaps I was using.

Deranged
11-02-2002, 10:43 AM
Hmm, interesting things, when the metirial package will be updated visualboo?

visualboo
11-03-2002, 04:49 AM
Sorry guys.... I'm waiting for Mouj to send his.

:wip:
:eek:

Zlemr
11-03-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Zlemr
Ive created two materials that i'd like to share, however i dont exactly know how to 'export' them 'cause ive never done that before so a little help would be much appreciated...

were they actually so bad? no help at all?

visualboo
11-03-2002, 04:44 PM
Sorry, I thought you got helped a while ago. :shrug:

Just open the mat library with the materials you want. Drag all the ones you want to send to the material editor (just for temporary). Clear the matlib and save the shaders that are in your material editor into the new matlib. Save. Email.

If that's confusing, let me know.

JBruckner
11-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Hrn, another question Boo. Seeming as how most of these mats require a shader or plugin, would you be able to do something about informing us on the next submissions, as to what we need to get the real mat. Becasue from what it looks like half of the mats in the libray at this time require a shader or plug.:p

visualboo
11-04-2002, 11:12 PM
It should open a small window that tells you what plugs it needs and which ones you don't have installed.

Probably blur plugins.

mouj
11-05-2002, 04:20 PM
Howdy folks and sorry for the delay !
well in fact i've searched, and it appears i don't have the original jpg maps that were used (concrete01.jog, chrome.jpg... well that's the names, now go figure...) anymore, so i send you the material as standard and ray trace ones (they were brazil test), in the zip files are jpg maps that can be used, well anyone can use any other in fact :p

i'll keep looking as i've not found all of them yet but anyway, the construction of the materials is pretty the same, you just need to tweak and swap maps around :cool:
i'll send new ones as soon as possible !

mouj

JBruckner
11-06-2002, 01:19 AM
Thanks

Error323
11-09-2002, 04:38 PM
Does anyone has a car shader??? A nice reflective car shader and chrome?? thnx alot.

I'll check some shaders that i have.

:: Error

Bmud
11-18-2002, 04:23 AM
how about you spot me 12 chops a month.... or..... ask your friend for some free space.
Woah, 12 dollars is too much to ask? Heck, you could set up a sign-up fee of a quarter and not have to pay it yourself.

Originally posted by Zlemr
were they actually so bad? no help at all?

I also don't know how to save shader/materials. Can you save them individually or must they be saved as a sort of sheet/set?

MFreywald
11-23-2002, 09:40 PM
This is too hell of a cool idea for me to not contribute to. So... I went through my matlib and removed all the specific plugin materials I had so that just the standard ones are (should) be needed. I didn't clean out the maps as there are just WAY too many and most use the standard maps anyway. If you DO come across a material and the map is not available and you really want it. Just pop me an email and I'll be more than happy to pass it on to ya. I divided the mat into two libraries. One is the standard and one is for finalRender. The finalRender one has some of the ones that were made available by cebas and quite a few of my own. Mostly glass experiments. I hope some of you have at least some use for at least some of them. If only one of you uses only one of them. Then I at least feel good that I donated these.

Just to make myself very clear.. This is basicly my whole matlib including the ones supplied by discreet when you installed max and any others I've either found or ripped out of scenes or made by myself from scratch. Anyway..here it is...

http://home.pacbell.net/freywald/MF-Matlib_3ds4.zip

Enjoy.

polymath
11-24-2002, 12:45 AM
I may be a bit late here, but I can convert it to max3 - granted I have to reinstall my max's again. I have 3 and 4.

But if its not too late, I can dig up my huge library and share :)

visualboo
11-24-2002, 06:26 PM
Bmud: Sorry... I'm not going ot charge anything. It's for the community by the community.... FCBC ;)

MFreywald: Thanks a lot, I'm checking them out now.

polymath: share them all. I have no plans to start supporting 3 but I can mix those into the 4 and 5 matlibs.

Thanks again guys :beer:

I'm still waiting on Equinoxx for the previous files sent from everybody... *hint hint* ;)

CarlCampbell
11-24-2002, 07:53 PM
I really like these mats, guys, but I think you should warn ppl or at least give direct link about the DLT's needed for some of these. Especially for the people that are starting out and open the matlib and find all the DLT's that they're missing (a couple, in my case)

Carl :beer:

polymath
11-24-2002, 08:56 PM
Just to be clear lol, about 75% of the textures I've made are in 3, but most of those are from darktree.

I"ve still got to do a clean install, I"ll send a bunch asap.

alex_m1s1n_user
11-24-2002, 09:26 PM
can i post shaders that i found on the net royalty free that wern't made by me?

visualboo
11-25-2002, 02:41 AM
CarlCampbell: well it basically tells you what you need when you load the files. I think (hope) they will figure it out. Most of the stuff is blur plugins.

polymath: Go ahead and send them and I'll check them out.

alex_m1s1n_user: I don't see why not. Do they have any copyright info with them?

visualboo
11-25-2002, 03:30 PM
King: Send everyting your willing to share with the world. Just zip them into render specific files... eg. kingvance_scanline.zip or something like that.

TheCaptn
11-26-2002, 11:52 AM
Ok, thankfully the computers at school use MAX R4.
I thought I'd try these textures on them, and I ran into the missing plugins thing (There's no additions at all to the default MAX install).

I know others have had the same problem, and so to save you all from having to hunt around for them individually (or stumble across the BlurBeta site), I've whipped up a handy dandy, easy to install pack with all of them.

Get it here:
http://wolf.alphalink.com.au/visualboo_pluginsMax4.zip

----------
:note:
I -only- packed in the plugins that are required for the Visualboo's Max4 set. For the Max5 set, or any of the other matlibs that people have been posting here there may still be some missing.
----------

Lastly, for MFreywald's matlibs I still need two plugins that I can't find anywhere:
fRMtl.dlt
Cebas.dlu

Anyone know where I can get them?

Fede
11-26-2002, 12:14 PM
Hey

hehehe the reason why you can't find the files you are looking for is because they belong to final render from cebas which is a render engine which you must buy.

sorry.

MFreywald
11-26-2002, 01:39 PM
Aye, those are final render materials. Which I split my matlib into two matlibs' one labeled standard and one final render... I did so to help avoid such problems loading just one matlib. This way you can load the standard and if you have fR, you can merge the fR matlib.

CarlCampbell
11-26-2002, 01:43 PM
It still reports "Colorcorrect2.dlm" as missing :thumbsdow

TheCaptn
11-26-2002, 01:51 PM
Aye, those are final render materials. Which I split my matlib into two matlibs' one labeled standard and one final render... I did so to help avoid such problems loading just one matlib. This way you can load the standard and if you have fR, you can merge the fR matlib.

Could someone else without FR check on that? When I try them, both the Standard and the Final Render matlibs want those two files.

TheCaptn
11-26-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by CarlCampbell
It still reports "Colorcorrect2.dlm" as missing :thumbsdow

My bad... Forgot to add it to the zip. File's updated now.

MFreywald
11-26-2002, 06:14 PM
Ah, damn.... I'll recheck the standard matlib. But I think it's due to a bug in fR. When the matlib is saved it saves fR global settings too. I found this out when loading in the matlib offered on fR's site. It changed all my globals to some really maxed out settings. I posted a question about this in the forum and they acknowledged the problem. So this might be what's happening. There 'SHOULDN'T' be any final render materials in the standard matlib I posted, but it could be the global settings that's causing the want for the plugins. Can you go ahead and just load it in and then save it? see if the saved version still calls for the plugins.

CarlCampbell
11-26-2002, 06:24 PM
I have finalrender, so no problem... i gotta question though. How come when I open any of the files that come with it and use GI I get all this graininess? White, black and coloured, sharp dots in the foreground, not like the graininess in Brazil, thats gotta do with samples. Whats happening to me looks like something totally different.

MFreywald
11-26-2002, 08:05 PM
You referring to the sploches? If so, increase the RH rays and adaptive quality settings. This will greatly increase analysis and render time exponentially so do it in steps. Generally I render my final's at 300-500 RH rays and 75-85% adaptive quality. I usually do my drafts at 64 RH rays and 15-25% adaptive quality. Also increasing the min and max samples will help reduce em with the same kind of increase in time.

Dont mean to hijack the topic. If you need more info on this PM me and we can either start a new topic on this or discuss it through PM's

markdc
11-26-2002, 09:48 PM
Colorcorrect2.dlm is a free plugin. Get it from here:
http://www.cuneytozdas.com/

draxaz
11-28-2002, 01:34 PM
Hi, i'm newbie and i would like to ask: is it possible to convert max materials (standart, raytraced and etc.) to finalrender materials ? If it's possible, so how ?

MFreywald
11-28-2002, 03:53 PM
You know there is a PDF floating around of the finalRender manual. I suggest finding it. But to answer your question. You can only convert standard materials to finalRender using the fRMaterial utility in the utility tab. To convert a raytraced material I use Blur tools Material Converter to convert it to standard then to finalRender.

Ech0
12-09-2002, 01:30 AM
i was working in max 4 and 5 i model in 4.2 and render out in 5 and i was trying to make a cool glass material for my gumball machine i was just messin around one night and came up with this but lost the file i was so close to geting it the way i want i mean the colors were looking awsome so i need you guys help to get me back where i was so i can make this look even better here what i had so if there a material out there to simulate the refections and colors that are produced when you have little gumballs in a glass bowl please post it

ps notice the reflections on the the glass case and how they bent the color of the balls by the way the balls have no material on them

X99
12-09-2002, 01:34 AM
EchO, dude, I'm working on it, it will be up shortly. probably tomorrow. Oh, and I'll have about 5 Mats for this project. Finally got around to putting them together!

- C

polymath
12-09-2002, 01:57 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I forgot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I'll get it this week.

MFreywald
12-09-2002, 04:59 PM
Echo, not to dis' your work or anything but... The glass needs to be hollow. What I mean is it looks solid like you just made a sphere and put smaller sphere's inside. this does not work for creating a 'fishbowl' type of glass effect. To make it look better try creating another sphere inside the larger one just slightly smaller. then boolean subtract it from the larger to give you the hollow look. Your glass material will look exceptionally better (once it's recreated I mean).

Ech0
12-09-2002, 08:04 PM
yea i know that but i need to find out how to make the glass material i was close in my previous picture but lost that file so now i was look for a good glass material or a process that works

MFreywald
12-10-2002, 03:26 AM
In my mat library (see post above for link) I have some pretty decent ones that might work for ya or at least give you a starting spot. If you have finalRender, I suggest using the glass ones made for it since I feel they look better than thier standard material counterparts.

rende
12-12-2002, 04:53 PM
Very nice idea just need some more shaders, if theres a good tutorial on how to make any kind of material I'd sertainly do it. My materials allways come out a bit off. Anyway the brazil materials seem to want some textures that i don't have :shame:

How about snow and a nice metal one for the blade of a sword?

Bmud
12-14-2002, 05:15 PM
Excel is taking over my *.map files. Someone posted a zip file with some maps. I wanted to see if I could open them. Extracting the *.map files in WinRAR resulted in a couple shortcuts to Microsoft Excel instead of actual files. This is the strangest thing I've ever seen happen in Windows. Any solutions?

visualboo
12-14-2002, 05:34 PM
Are they actual shortcuts? or files?

Try going to folder options > file types and reassign that extention (.map) to something else.

Bmud
12-14-2002, 05:54 PM
:surprised: This freaky freaky. Visualboo, I am talking about REAL shortcuts, just with the same name as the *.map files. They have the little arrow and everything. MAP isn't even on my file type list. Jeezuz! This is weird. I'm adding the extention to the list, but what would you suggest assigning it to? Nothing?

Whoops, my mistake. It's *.mat
List says "Microsoft Access Table Shortcut"
Who's the moron that made that up?? *delete*

Okay. extraction crisis is over. Yay. woo. Thanks boo. :) Now the question is how do I open these things up and make my own?

visualboo
12-14-2002, 07:13 PM
hehe

Just open the material editor (m key) and open the material library. On the left side there's a open button... then find the file.

Hope that helped

cloak
12-17-2002, 06:10 PM
ah. cool. neat thread :)

a ton of texture resources - (not finished textures for the most part, but source photography) and a few particle flame and smoke matlibs can be found at my site:

TEXTUREDUMP (http://texturedump.sabren.com/)

visualboo
12-17-2002, 09:15 PM
And lets not forget about www.animax.it
Awesome texture resource

3dsmax5
01-02-2003, 02:27 AM
Update! Update! Update! :p :D :D :D

3dsmax5
01-20-2003, 08:30 AM
knock knock.....herro? :D :D :D mr. boo? whats up? :D :D :D

Gamoron
01-20-2003, 04:16 PM
I'm glad you started this Boo. And a shout out to all of you who've been adding textures. A suggestion here. Could one of you explain in a small tutorial style thingy what each channel means in the material editor. I'd like to contribute some textures but at the moment I'm dumb when it comes to the editor. What does Specular do, what does Glossiness affect and how? Or link me to a really good resource.

PLEASE!

P.S. I am checking out the help files, but you guys know how good those are.

eddy-3ddy
01-21-2003, 06:30 PM
Has anyone had an idea to make a website around this? If I come with old news, then I mist that reply.

jadedchron
01-24-2003, 02:17 PM
<-wants to see it when it's done :-)

visualboo
01-24-2003, 02:59 PM
I'm sorry guys, I've been super busy at work. I'll try and update with all the latest materials I've recieved soon.

visualasylum
01-25-2003, 02:49 AM
here's my contribution. It's a material for a toothbrush commercial.
Matlib was created in Max4.2. (no plugins)

VisualBoo, I finally got through. Now where can I download the goodies?

thanks in advance.

http://www.visualasylum.net/forum/cap.jpg

eddy-3ddy
01-25-2003, 12:22 PM
Prr scratch, pruttel, kloenk:insane:

I have to do something about my english, O well, I'm busy with an animation. There will be some of me here.

Good luck, I gonna link ya on my community ;-)

erilaz
01-28-2003, 03:51 AM
Anybody going to add some maxshade shaders? I'm still getting my head around scripting them!

Viper
01-29-2003, 02:14 AM
I have some stuff I did in Brazil...but I'll be making a set avaible on my site soon (Need to work on remaking it thouhg)

I'll let you guys know when it's ready :)

3dsmax5
02-04-2003, 04:11 AM
grrrrrrr.....update! or taste my nasty teeth! :D :D :D

Kaiser-BEST
02-06-2003, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the materals Visualboo
helpful
;)

Cronium
02-06-2003, 08:59 AM
Im quite new to the 3D-scene (and this forum) and im currently trying to learn 3Ds MAX. Learning materials is, as you probably know, time consuming if you dont have any references, so getting those from you guys will help me alot! Thx! :thumbsup:

visualboo
02-06-2003, 01:15 PM
visualasylum: heeey, that's one sexy name ya got there. ;) Thanks for the material btw.

3ddy: link my site? Thanks, but remember if you do to link to my home page. www.visualboo.com. no direct links.

erilaz: I haven't recieved any yet but if the demand was there and people were sending them in I would host them.

Viper: oooo... competition. I see how it is. ;)

3dsmax5:
:wip:
:annoyed:

Kaiser: Anytime... and sorry btw, it's been a while since I've updated.

Cronium: Try and get your hands on all the materials you can and then reverse engineer them so you can see whats going on and how they work. Good luck. btw... 3d in general is time consuming ;)

Take care guys

jadedchron
02-06-2003, 01:46 PM
have you updated the materials since oct. 6?

n00bles
02-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Hey everbody. this thread Is the Best Idea. The Materials are really useful to n00bs like me and all I can say is ....We need More:p. And Yes I am new, and also yes I want to become the best 3d modeller in the world...:rolleyes:

JScott3D
02-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Hey visualboo I got a little program that I have thrown together and I would like you to take a look at it. I dont know if I sould post the link or not but here it is anyway. To run it requires the visual basic runtime files. But other then that is all you have to do is install.

www.geocities.com/jscott3d/Mat_Browser_Setup.zip (http://www.geocities.com/jscott3d/Mat_Browser_Setup.zip)
or
jscott3d.netfirms.com/Mat_Browser_Setup.zip (http://jscott3d.netfirms.com/Mat_Browser_Setup.zip)

Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions please ask.

JScott3D
02-13-2003, 07:42 PM
If anyone else has downloaded it I would like to know what you think.

adel3d
02-13-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by FatAssasin
I have a bunch of materials I've made, just as experiments. You're free to download the .mat file and do what you will with it.

http://jhaywood.com/pixels/models.htm

The link is at the bottom of the page.

i couldnt see your materials,

JScott3D
02-13-2003, 08:39 PM
if you click on the material types button on the top it wil give you a list of things. The program is still in testing so any bugs would be great to know about

visualboo
02-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Thanks JScott. I'll check it out after work today.

jadedchron: Sorry man.... I've been super busy. I'll try to update soon tho.

jadedchron
02-14-2003, 02:36 PM
it's all good :wavey:

JScott3D
02-16-2003, 11:17 PM
I was wondering if anyone has been daring enough to try out the broswer. And if so what do you think. Thanks

doug_
02-17-2003, 10:02 PM
Jscott, i've used the Material Browser, it works ok as it is, and i can import materials to it ok. But when i create a MAT file from it and import that to MAX, MAX crashes on me. so its not too useful as yet, if there is a work around i will be a full convert.

JScott3D
02-17-2003, 11:59 PM
Which version of max are you using? Most of the materials were saved using max 5

doug_
02-19-2003, 09:51 PM
im using max 4, so some backward compatibility woulld be nice :)

JScott3D
02-19-2003, 10:04 PM
I would make them backwards compatial if I had max 4. but tragicly I dont. But on the main side the program was made so one can have better mobility with materials and keep them organized. But if there were a way that I could make them backwards compatial I would do it in a hart beat.

doug_
02-20-2003, 12:53 AM
Bugger, anyone out there want to do some conversion work???????? :) *lol*

JScott3D
02-20-2003, 01:07 AM
Not all of the materials are done in max 5 some are done in max 4. But all of the ones for everything else other then the basic max are done with max 5.

JScott3D
02-27-2003, 12:28 AM
Does anyone know when the next update will be?

cyrano
03-06-2003, 07:58 AM
:cool:
i've got a big collection of bathroom tiles,
notice me whenever you wanted to start doing your project.....

fnselmi
03-14-2003, 02:32 PM
Does anyone know where I can get that plstecine tut and mat files from again pls they are ot linked here anymore

nalhcal
03-24-2003, 03:11 AM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12603&highlight=clay

http://www.oneglasseye.co.nz/uploads/clay/plast.mat

Is that what you are looking for?

Bob27
04-03-2003, 04:33 AM
I would like to participate in this thread too.
thanks for anyone starting it!

[Х]
04-05-2003, 01:37 AM
Waits...

visualboo
04-05-2003, 02:26 AM
sorry guys, I have some stuff in the works for this right now.

I'll update soon. I promise.

lebada
04-09-2003, 03:42 PM
how can u send a material...do you only export it or do you have to send the bmp pic with the .mat file too....new to this and it never hurts learning...:)

Psycholink
04-17-2003, 08:58 AM
Hello!
I need texture to car body and windows.
I hope you can help me :)

lebada
04-17-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Psycholink
Hello!
I need texture to car body and windows.
I hope you can help me :)

i got the material made by myself...if you want it...but how do i export it? havent exported a mat file before:)

Psycholink
04-17-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Buggy166
i got the material made by myself...if you want it...but how do i export it? havent exported a mat file before:)

yes click "standard" in material editor and click "scene" you found save as :)

Radacci
04-18-2003, 05:14 PM
none of the plugins from blur are available for download, so i cant get electric and stuff!! :(
could you add those in the zip as well?

teh fury
04-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Buggy166

Need that too.. :)
ty

lebada
04-18-2003, 10:30 PM
http://www23.brinkster.com/ewgame/Buggy166.mat

there's 5 car paints in there...adjust the "dent" map from them till you like it(the little dots that are on the car's paint) and there's 2 funky ones i just made up of nothing...not for cars but for anything

pluMmet
04-20-2003, 05:32 PM
Visualboo- How many materials have been sent to you? (please answer)

at current rate of updating I'm a little concerned.

Being a little busy at work shouldn't stop you from spending 5 or 10 min. to update yor site.

If you would like I can host the .mat files here on this thread clean and simple. no navigating required.

Should anyone else be concerned please speak up.

Visualboo had a good idea and lots of people have contrubited and now it's floundering.

if anyone here would like to have me put materials up for d/l I'll start a file called MaxCGtalkMaterials.mat and i'll add every material sent in to it within 2 weeks.

Forgive me but people have been kind enough to contribute to the community and I just think it should be availible for d/l

:beer:

Stepunk
04-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by pluMmet

If you would like I can host the .mat files here on this thread clean and simple. no navigating required.

I think it is a good idea!

cuzz
04-22-2003, 06:44 AM
yeh for sure I think it's a good idea.

I dont know how many have been sent in but there does not seem to be a hell of lot at visualboo.:applause:

eddy-3ddy
04-27-2003, 11:29 AM
anyone interessed in flubber material?

here is mine

flubberMat (http://213.51.221.74/new_3dhype/temp/3dhype.zip)

lebada
04-27-2003, 12:24 PM
cool flubber..thanx..didnt think of that..hehe:bounce: :thumbsup:

eddy-3ddy
04-27-2003, 02:55 PM
np, I didn't also.

someone at 3dhype.com had made a animation with flubber in it. but the material was a bit of poor. I thought to make it for him. here an example of my flubber figure with the texture. It's not a wip or whatever. It's just to show how it looks.

TheCaptn
05-04-2003, 04:35 AM
The people getting down on Boo because he hasn't updated in a while need to just back off a bit.
He doesn't -owe- us anything. There's a lot more work involved in something like this than just slapping together a few shaders into a matlib and releasing it. He has to check that each one works, that they're not duplicates (or near-duplicates a'la the Blevins tutorials), he'd have to make them fit the standard of the matlib, check the plugin conformity, etc... That stuff all takes time.
Meanwhile it seems like some people are hinting that he should be giving this project a higher priority than his own -paying- work... Get over it. Practice a little more patience.

Visualboo: I do have one little nitpick (and I don't know if others would agree or not) but since these matlibs are the combined work of a number of people, I think it's a little unfair to call them "visualboo_XXXXX"... I'd suggest renaming them at the next update to "CGTalk_XXXXX" or something like that...

Lastly, I've been practicing with procedurals quite a bit lately and I'm on the verge of creating some semi-worthwhile stuff... Hopefully I'll have something to add myself in a couple of weeks.
I have one question though, is there any way to create evenly-spaced geometric shapes like circles, triangles, hexagons, etc -without- using any bitmaps? Kind of like those mine-like things that Mouj came up with.
I can kind of do squares with the standard brick material, but I want something with more flexibility.

pluMmet
05-04-2003, 10:28 AM
The people getting down on Boo because he hasn't updated in a while need to just back off a bit.
He doesn't -owe- us anything.

under most circumstances I'd agree...if it was his shaders that he wasn't having 'time' for. But this is other peoples work which is getting funneled through him.

There's a lot more work involved in something like this than just slapping together a few shaders into a matlib and releasing it. He has to check that each one works, that they're not duplicates (or near-duplicates a'la the Blevins tutorials), he'd have to make them fit the standard of the matlib, check the plugin conformity, etc... That stuff all takes time.

exactly how much time do you think that takes?

A: 'check that each one works'....o.k. If i have five of them then I make 5 standard objects and apply each and render. For a grand total of 3min.

B:'they're not duplicates'...Ya! out of all these thousands of materials is one a duplicate. Give me a break 3 sec. of mental compairing.

C:'fit the standard of the matlib'...WTF does that mean, you just save to whatever .mat lib you want ...two mouse clicks.

D:'plugin conformity'....nobody expects these .mat to work as say a hair shader...no to mention he'd have to own every plugin' to do this...please!

E:'That stuff all takes time'....Like I said 10 min. out of his week.

Meanwhile it seems like some people are hinting that he should be .... higher priority ...

I think I was preaty direct...

I'm very curious to see others opinions on this so please comment. If people agree with theCaptn I'll lower my head and shut up.

my only point is that my impression is that he's hording others work. Work that was donated to the community. I really should only take 10min. a week to keep it updated. And if he's having problems, just pass it on to someone else. I could care less if it's me. I just frigin' want the .mat files. So Boo if you can't manage others donations, find a friend or whoever that has time and let them keep it updated.

I can't stress enough that this is other peopes work. I'd feel obligated if I was him, to pass on what was intrusted to me. Find someone...anyone.

powerwave3d
05-05-2003, 02:16 AM
I'd have to agree with plum for the most part. Others have offered to help make it a reality. If VisualBoo is too busy then he should pass it along to someone who has the time. I don't think it's a personal attack on Visualboo's intentions. I believe he has good intentions and thank him for starting such a task. But, if the task is too much, solicit some help to keep things moving. I don't see a problem in that.

Mangalaranja
05-05-2003, 09:27 AM
Before jumping to conclusions,i'd like to hear what visualboo as to say about this.

Radacci
05-05-2003, 02:04 PM
parhapps he is on a vecation, and cant uppdate? or maybe he as been abducted by aliens? anyone thought of that? you cant uppdate a matlib if you'r abducted!!
I tried the materials, and more then one took ages to render, so it doesnt take 10 mins a weak to check through them, more like 10 min/ 64x64 bucket (rendering with Brazil)
i have to try without brazil and see :)
But i do agree that it should be updated at least once a week, even if its just an addition of a few mats...

TheCaptn
05-05-2003, 02:21 PM
A: 'check that each one works'....o.k. If i have five of them then I make 5 standard objects and apply each and render. For a grand total of 3min.

If you just get a couple of them every few days and have to take time out to do that it can add up.

B:'they're not duplicates'...Ya! out of all these thousands of materials is one a duplicate. Give me a break 3 sec. of mental compairing.

So far in just this thread I've seen three different people post their own versions of the Neil Blevins 'Complex Organic' tutorial material.
I'm assuming a lot of the water, ice, metal, etc are quite similar and he picks out the few best ones.

C:'fit the standard of the matlib'...WTF does that mean, you just save to whatever .mat lib you want ...two mouse clicks.

Since this is all a single matlib it helps if all the materials are more or less the same 'resolution' (for want of a better word).
I don't know for a fact that this is even an issue, but it wouldn't surprise me if people have sent in materials with very high or very low tiling levels after having used them in previous projects.

D:'plugin conformity'....nobody expects these .mat to work as say a hair shader...no to mention he'd have to own every plugin' to do this...please!

That's part of the problem. People have -already- posted materials here that required commercial plugins. I don't doubt Boo's recieved some like that.
And what if he has commercial plugins himself which he'd have to disable each time to test new materials.

E:'That stuff all takes time'....Like I said 10 min. out of his week.

I really didn't mean to flame or give offense, and my post wasn't just directed at you. My argument is simply that we don't know what Boo's got going on right now... At least, I certainly don't and I'm guessing no-one else here does either. Instead of making assumptions on how much effort he is or isn't putting in to it, I'm just trying to say we should cut him some slack.

As for him running of with the materials, I just don't see it.
He's a long-time respected member here, he's contributed a lot to helping out newbies such as myself (although I was a lurker for months before I started posting), and he's -already- released versions of this matlib. So if he says he needs time, that's good enough for me.

visualboo
05-05-2003, 07:23 PM
wow... my stocks going down pretty fast here ;)

Thanks captn. You guys really don't understand what goes into this. It's not as quick and simple as you might think. People get errors for the weirdest things and I'm just trying to make the stupid thing work for everyone.

pluMmet: I want to see you work 90+ hour weeks, drive an hour to work each day (that's 2 hours a day total) and still have time for this "free" library. I'd love to see it. Not to mention that I'm doing 2 websites for two good friends and starting a short with everyone here at work. Sundays (when I have them free) I race motocross. It's the only thing that keeps me sane.

Visualboo- How many materials have been sent to you? (please answer)
Not NEARLY as many as this thread implies. And almost every one submitted needs some kind of tweaking (tweaking = time). Not necessarily to the material itself but just to get things to work peachy with max and every user. Plus everyone complains if there isn't a max4 version. I don't have that on my system anymore so it's a pain (pain = time).

Elmond: haha lol

I promise guys. I WILL have something for you soon.

pluMmet
05-06-2003, 02:54 PM
pluMmet: I want to see you work 90+ hour weeks, drive an hour to work each day (that's 2 hours a day total) and still have time for this "free" library. I'd love to see it. Not to mention that I'm doing 2 websites for two good friends and starting a short with everyone here at work. Sundays (when I have them free) I race motocross. It's the only thing that keeps me sane.

Well that's kinda my point....I'm sure you have freinds here that you can use to alleviate this particular burden.

I think what you've done is great but if as you say 'you don't have time' then just let someone handel it for you. At this point I'd rather it not be me. Just because I don't wanna be the D*%K who took your idea/work. I JUST WANT YOUR IDEA TO WORK.

Look...I know I've been agitating with my posts. I'm just trying to stir the pot a little. I personally am gald you started this shader/share thread and thank you very much.

aside from being greedy for more shaders, I learn from them by tearing them apart and seeing how they were accomplished. I'm just seeing to my learning from them.

So if you see no end to your busyness plesase ask a freind to handel the job for you/us.

visualboo
05-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Visualboo: I do have one little nitpick (and I don't know if others would agree or not) but since these matlibs are the combined work of a number of people, I think it's a little unfair to call them "visualboo_XXXXX"... I'd suggest renaming them at the next update to "CGTalk_XXXXX" or something like that...
Damn... I forgot to post this on my last post but this is something that I totally agree with. I really never meant to take credit for any of these and to be completely honest, I don't have a single material in there yet. I have a bunch I'm going to include but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

So yeah, every material that you see in that lib is donated by you guys.

jankin
05-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Hi all!

I have made a material to simulate the transparence of thin textiles and paper. You meight need it. If so download it here (http://www.jankin.com/_softex.zip)

Here is just a preview picture what this mat can do:

eddy-3ddy
05-09-2003, 11:12 PM
isn't that the new game console from http://www.infiniumlabs.com ??

jankin
05-11-2003, 01:49 PM
To the model: Yes the box on the infiniumlabs.com (http://www.infiniumlabs.com) website inspired me for this effect and I was trying to get as close as posible to this picture.

secretasianman
05-12-2003, 03:18 AM
man that website is cool.

this is really cool witht eh mat libs that everybody has been sending.

i wish i could join in and help, but i really haven't done much in the way of doing alot of mats for myself.

thanx guys, there are alot of relly cool guys here.

look at that im getting so weepy!:cry:

anyway, one of you guys i went to your site and you have a mat lib and the mat need external maps.
if i can remember who you are i'll post the name.

oh damn, while i was writing this i remembered that i have one mat that has two materials on it i got from someone.
really good gold and chrome mats.
i'll send it to you vis:b. of course it is for max 5.

Indy3
05-27-2003, 10:58 PM
What websites out their offer free shaders and materials?

Need materals and shaders!!!

arlechinu
05-31-2003, 12:37 AM
wow! great idea!
keep 'em coming people!

PS: when is the next update going to happen mr. booie?

mouj
06-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Howdy folks !

Well, some people have been asking about it, so i finally found some time to do it : i'm in the process of rebuilding these shaders i had posted, using mostly procedurals and no additional plugins or anything, i will post them as soon as they look close enough to what i could come up with in the first place : )

here are a couple shots, where i'm at now

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/mouj/wips/images/pod_re02.jpg

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/mouj/wips/images/pod_re05.jpg

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/mouj/wips/images/pod_re06.jpg

i'll make them available asap !

mouj

arlechinu
06-02-2003, 03:53 PM
:buttrock:

yey!
those materials look terrific, mouj!

PS: wish I could come up with something to share too... does anyone need/want some "noobie" materials? :p

rquinn
06-11-2003, 05:25 AM
so where is this huge final pack?

hatem
06-11-2003, 11:24 AM
hi all, that's my first post here, and i want to share u that image
i was trying to make an organig materiel, hope u love it

rquinn
06-11-2003, 01:28 PM
makes me think of Neil Blevin's stuff except the colors are redish
nice stuff lets see it on a model

visualboo
07-09-2003, 04:55 PM
How about we carry this to www.highend3d.com from now on. That will be a LOT better for the community than me not having enough time.