PDA

View Full Version : Low Poly Character - Union Infantry Soldier

RampanT
10-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Hey,

This is a model I'm working on for the Echoes of Glory UT2K4 mod. I think the model is pretty much done, except for the odd little tweak. I was aiming for a polycount of 2500 ,and the model and accessories are currently sitting at 2489 triangles, so it's worked out not too bad.

I'm looking for some advice on the texturing of the model, particulaly from anyone who has worked on models for UT2K3/4. As far as I can see, most of the models for UT2K4 have 2 x 1024 maps, - one for the head/skin, the other for everything else. I was going to cut this down to a 1024 for the body and accessories, and a 512 for the head/skin.

The only thing is, the jacket of this model is getting slightly altered to do a second variation of the model. So i'll essentially have two models that are identical other than the shape/texture of the jacket. So I was thinking it might be better to seperate the textures onto 3 seperate maps, - 1. head/skin - 2. jacket - 3. everything else.

I'd really appreciate any advice on this, as I say, particularly from others who have worked on similar mods. How would you do the texturing?

All crits and comments also welcome. Thanks.

RampanT
10-27-2004, 04:20 PM
These are the two versions of the model, - Infantry and Artillery. The only difference between them in terms of modelling is the collar and the length of the jacket. The texture of the jacket will also be different between the two versions. Other than that, they'll be identical. This is why I was thinking of the texture being split into 3. All advice much appreciated. Thanks.

KevinKraeer
10-27-2004, 06:16 PM
This looks good man, nice proportions. The outift appears to be pretty authentic as well.

I unfortunately am not familiar with the way UT2k4 texture maps work.

The only suggestion I have at this point is you may want to smooth the edges out. Or does the engine do that for you, too?

AdamAtomic
10-27-2004, 07:11 PM
the feet look a little bit long and flat to me, but otherwise the proportions are very nice!

Ghostscape
10-27-2004, 07:23 PM
As far as texturing goes, I'd make a 1024x1024 for the Jacket and Skin, and a 512x512 for the pants and accesories.

If you're planning on having several different skin(ie, different facial textures, etc) variations for each character, then you might want to break it up into 3 maps, but otherwise, I'd break it down as I did above.

RampanT
10-27-2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the replies.

kgkraeer - Thanks. There's no smoothing on the model yet, that's why it looks faceted.

Adam Atomic - The soldiers wore brogans, which are very flat shoes. But I might tweak it a bit. Cheers.

Ghostscape - Thanks for the advice. I was gonna do a couple variations of the face texture, so I may go with the 3. Cheers.

MonkeyLord
10-29-2004, 03:04 PM
I like it very much! Good use of face count, and very well proportioned. No real crits here... Can't wait to see the skinned version!

RampanT
11-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Ok, here's an update of the model. Most of the texturing done. Still got some tweaking and refining to do here and there, but I think its nearly there. I've used a 512* for the face and hands, and a 1024* for everything else, including the detachable accessories.

All crits and comments welcome. Cheers.

Prs-Phil
11-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Very nice solid modeling and texturing.

You use alot of geometry on the feet compared to the other parts of the body.

Texture is good, maybe a bit more contrast (just a bit) and minor highlights :)

Other than that ... good job

Chris. F.
11-30-2004, 06:59 PM
this low poly looks really nice hmmm
a little comment about the texture, I guess it doesn't look so "realistic" but a little too much "plastic" u should give more matter to the clothes.

but nice Work keep Workin on it. ;)

RampanT
12-11-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the comments folks.

Here's an unpdate, still to fix a seam on the thumb. I'll do that later.

This is the post-battle muddy/bloody version of the texture.

All crits and comments welcome.

Cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.