PDA

View Full Version : Compositing - Fx - Demo Reel (nudity), Yann Bertrand (3D)

thOrNes
10-27-2004, 12:47 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/36208/36208_1098881276_medium.jpg

Title: Compositing - Fx - Demo Reel (nudity)
Name: Yann Bertrand
Software: 3ds max, combustion

The 'Chrysalide' project was done with Damien Serban (co-direction) and Hicham Bouhennana (animation).
The music - 'Parks' is from Four Tet.
C&C mostly welcome !
Download:
Quicktime (Large) (25 MB) (http://jimflim.free.fr/demoQT.html)

Windows Media (Medium) (13 MB) (http://jimflim.free.fr/demoreel/Yann_Bertrand_Demoreel.wmv)

Real Media (Medium) (12 MB) (http://jimflim.free.fr/demoreel/Yann_Bertrand_Demoreel.rmvb)

or go to my homepage for further information (http://jimflim.free.fr)

DenkoM
10-27-2004, 01:25 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: i'm impressed

anthalis
10-27-2004, 03:25 PM
really good work in keeping polygons ! :)

pinnamraj
10-27-2004, 03:43 PM
love ur style

nice concept and stuff.....

EduAOC
10-27-2004, 04:54 PM
Very good job!

lv-88
10-27-2004, 06:21 PM
very intressting!

Darktwin
10-27-2004, 08:16 PM
I really enjoyed this a lot. Goodjob

Kiel
10-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Very nice! Stylish! I really like the "lowpoly-paperwrap" effect-stuff.

herbertV399
10-28-2004, 02:04 AM
Dear Yann

You are an extraordinary talent - capable of creating things which are very different and still of very high quality. I would have loved to work with you on my upcoming animation .

Good luck with your great artwork.

RO
10-28-2004, 03:54 AM
Totally awesome!!!

I usually have something to crit on but this is just sweet as hell.

That was sure a nice thing to see when coming back home from school.

Music is great also.

ush
10-28-2004, 07:57 AM
I really like this style of work.
Very cool and interesting.:)

actarus6
10-28-2004, 08:43 AM
what???

hEY what?
wHAT U SAID?

good JOB?

EXCELLENT ONLY EXCELLENT wonderful style!!!

CONGRATULATIONS

Spigaou
10-28-2004, 12:44 PM
I love your work and yur style, 5 stars for me :thumbsup:

SJames
10-28-2004, 03:35 PM
My only complaint is that you didn't stick the polygon explosion thing at the start of the reel... it is by far the coolest thing on there (not that that is a bad thing).

Anyways, cool stuff. Stuff like this is more and more common in music videos and such so i'm sure you'll get a job.

Kanga
10-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Mmmmmmm

For me it is video art.
Which I like very much!

Dug the reverse filter in the soundtrack, which fits the mood perfectly.

Well done!

Rio Yeti
10-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Ok, I'm popping into this...

Just two things I want to say.
First to Kanga, it is "video art", as the films are destined to be shown in an exhibition in Paris with the works of sculptor Michel Lauricella and photograph Dorothea Nold.
Secondly, I hope I'm not intruding and not minding my own business, but besides thOrNes' reel's content, I think he would appreciate some feedback on the "reel" itself (how it is constructed, how it is presented etc...)

Wait for the crits on "Chrysalide", when we'll show you the stand alone project ! ;)

Anyway, not to brag about it or anything, but I'm glad you guys seem to like the film. :)

Kanga
10-31-2004, 02:13 AM
Far too esoteric for me to comment. Normally I wouldn't because I dont like montage work, this one I liked so I said so.

I will leave crits up to those more at home in this area,..... perhaps yourself even!

Horsea9788
11-04-2004, 06:38 AM
very cool!

UltRaNOL
11-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Vraiment décalé par rapport au travail que l'on trouve habituellement sur ce forum.
C'est visualement trés fort et intelligent (je pense surtout aux plans finaux où le perso change de resolution).
Bon ça me fait pas mal penser à un clip de radiohead (je n'ai pu le nom du morceau) ou à "the polygon family", mais ça n'enléve rien à la qualité génerale de la demo.

:applause: :buttrock: :applause:

OTO-ACP
11-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Yop:bounce: !!!...
Good work, environment is really strange!!!...
The concept appears to me shifted, original and very purified graphically, that breathes!!!
I like much, low hat!!!... Good road!!!...

dahiya
11-04-2004, 04:56 PM
i quite enjoyed this. and its not for the sake of crit that i say so, but i agree with a previous poster that the polygon explosions are the coolest thing, however, i do feel that there is an amount of overkill in that regard.

its a personal op, but i think that of all design. design remains most effective when there is an element of delight therein. the more common it gets - the less delightful it has the danger of getting.

all in all, its very original for a showreel. great going!

robin3d
11-04-2004, 05:37 PM
Maybe it'd be better if you ruys tried the smooth command..
Just kiddin ;) love the mesh exploding part. How were you able to blend between models of diffrent resolution?
Seems you like mills work with the raidíohead video ;)
The camera seems a little static maybe you could train yourselves on camera movement to improve your reel. Good Luck to you!

tmahony
11-04-2004, 05:47 PM
I loved this.

I have no critiques on the content, it is original and interesting. The only crit I can give on the reel as a whole is that perhaps you do a very quick montage of everything right at the beginning, just so that we get a glimpse of what is to come. That will grab our attention and we will be more willing to wait for that one image that grabbed us at the beginning. Since there is so much material and it is quite varied, this might just tie it together a little bit.

This is coming from someone that also has a short film with the interesting shots happening near the end. I should probably heed my own advice. :)

-Taylor

PLATE
11-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Cool video. there's a little part were I think fluid of composition was cut, between mono and le cosmos. Maybe it's just me.:shrug:

Lowki
11-04-2004, 09:56 PM
The work from Mono and Iki is great,
Im sure Chris Cuningham would be a big fan (you should send it to him through WARP). As for the reel itself, prehaps a stronger use of titles? I know this is probably the last thing that you would be caring about but style wise it is a really weak point of the whole reel. This may not be a concern you dont intend to use it for comercial work (such as if your using this for exhibition proposals).
Love the dynamic wire frames...great character animation as well.

J-CoM
11-05-2004, 01:35 AM
I didn't check all the other replies to see if anyone asked, but who did the music?

You're video looks great, it's obvious you're very dedicated to your work.

thOrNes
11-05-2004, 06:35 AM
Ok, first thanks to all of you for your support, I'm really pleased to see all of you liked this reel, let's hope it will help me to get a job, too. The "far too esoteric" or "concept appears to me shifted" side of it is what makes me wonder about that, but I'll see...

To the Radiohead Clip comments, the name is "Go to sleep" and its from Alex Rutherford. He also made the Autechre Video "Ganz Graf" (which I'm a big fan of) - I was kind of frustrated to see such minor mesh effects in the face of the singer, the motion capture wasn't that good, and I suppose I expected some more stylized solution.

Low ki : As for the reel itself, prehaps a stronger use of titles?
I know I kept the titles very short, but everyone writes the titles in this thread, so I guess it's working http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/scream.gif

dahiya : design remains most effective when there is an element of delight therein. the more common it gets - the less delightful it has the danger of getting.
Hm. I guess I'd like a lot of people to apply this rule on movies or video clips, but what i. e. a would be a modeller's reel without turnarounds ?

Jahooba - Music
Music is by Four Tet. I can only recommend them http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Now to the content: "Iki", "Mono" and "Ugoki" are film chapters from "chrysalide" which is a buto dance installation. Rio Yeti and I will post a thread when it will be finished, and I hope for your comments and your support guys. You will find a preview of the installation on our site and maybe you can make it to one of the exhibitions to see the whole thing.

Cheers
thOrNes

R_K
11-05-2004, 07:09 AM
stellar work! absolutetly awesome! the character work was very well done.

as for the reel - theres a lot of diverse parts of cg being presented here. is there one you are focusing on? the compositing stuff seemed the weakest to me not because of skill but because they didn't totally fit in with the beginning and the end. this could be an issue with the order of the material. I definetly think the end peice should be at the beginning. while it is nice to have a strong finish it shouldn't be your strongest peice because at the speed at which many reels are watched they might pass over it if it is not seen early on. as one person told me, dont give them a reason to hit fast forward and if you do make sure there is nothing important after that. they rarely rewind. i also feel the riggin and such as not very integrated, prabably because the title was compositing and vfx which would lead me to think the reel should start with the end peice and finish with the compositing. maybe end with the peice where the guy is laying on the ground.

very strong!

good luck

r

Markuss
11-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Wow, cool style! :) The style kinda reminds me of that Radiohead video with the polygon characters and the crumbling buildings (don't remember the name of the song), but I'm not implying that you copied that style because yours is still very different.

Anyways, I was most impressed by the character work. The skin deformations you were showing off was very good. Did you use morph angle deformers to achive this? I guess it must have taken some time to set up?

createi
11-05-2004, 06:10 PM
very unique style... i love it !

11-06-2004, 03:49 AM
Great work!!!
It looks like paper. It's great!
It also reminds me the old 80's CG :)

liuqiang
11-06-2004, 03:14 PM
It is splendid:thumbsup:

Sars3D
11-06-2004, 09:38 PM
This is amazing work, I would like to know how the poly modeling was done in that way to make it look jagged and torn but to allow good light bouncing. Excellent work. I love the scene when the model is grabing himself and being mutated. Very original and refreshing.

pauloricca
11-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Excelent job man ;)

Four Tet - Parks ...thats the music, if anyones wondering.. i love Four Tet :D good to see somebody seems to like it too! great mood for working :)

Derrie
11-07-2004, 01:42 AM
It looks cool but i don't get it. :hmm:

Rio Yeti
11-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Ok, popping in again (sorry thOrNes for hijacking your thread).

Again thank you to all the people that seem to appreciate the project "Chrysalide (Iki - Mono - Ugoki), but I want to remind you it is a "demo reel".
So PLATE, it's obvious that the mood is cut between Mono and Le Cosmos... They are 2 completely seperate movies, as is Epines. Since it is a reel it's totally legitimate to put in diverse works, since a reel is supposed to show the extend to which an artist can work in a specific area...
and Derrie... what's not to get ? Do you get anything when you see some modeler's "turnarounds" ? This is NOT a story, it's a reel, which shows you how some effects were achieved in the film Chrysalide (you will not see the setup in the actual film, nor the original video footage), Epines and Le Cosmos.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad, on the contrary I'm thrilled that the images from Iki - Mono and Ugoki being so strong you all forgot it's just a reel and commented on those films. I'm just reminding you guys of what this reel really is :)

sjaak
11-07-2004, 01:11 PM
I really liked it as well.

Only thing wich botters me is the use of all the texts (like the timecode, the logo and copyright protection). I think they distract to much.

michael101171
11-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Very great work, especially the visualFX part is awesome!

I do not really like the music. The music is far behind the impressive images. But that's maybe only my opinion. Also the type is not after my fancy - too simple in a way.

All told, I'm really impressed. Again, great work!

NetOps2001
11-09-2004, 05:32 AM
The animation program at my school is shifting to a focus on 3D in fine art . In my opinion this is a perfect example of fine art in a 3D medium. I'm very impressed.:thumbsup:

stunner
11-09-2004, 12:48 PM
beautifull job, the model is very expressive ...

Crusty_Butt
11-10-2004, 05:31 PM
A lot of great work!

A few minor things, if I may be so bold: :)

When the character falls to the ground, near the beginning, I think his shoulder makes some kind of distracting motion, almost bouncy.

I think there was too much raw footage in the compositing section.

The FX section was so strong I wondered why you didn't open with some of it.

Good job!

Dutchman
11-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Really impressive stuff! That incredible 'artisty' look is great! I like that way you use some extreme animated noises etc! Just a nice style :)

Only comment from my side is that you maybe would better start with some 'compilation' of the best work (just some flashes) so that people get exided :) ?! But exept that its just great work!

UmTuga
11-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Amazing work.

'nough said.

Hayven
11-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Very Wow.....the paper texture/look of the character is very well done.

greendog
11-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Insane ! I'm impressed

caulfield
11-13-2004, 02:44 AM
I really, really like the exploding mesh part at the end..

But I think there's a reason you don't usually see badly animated naked leg spreads on people's reels. That sequence is just weird - it's badly rigged, badly modelled, badly animated, and it looks like Stephen Hawking after being hooked up to some kind of embarrassing machine.

There's no dynamic movement on the balls themselves, let alone the sausage part infront, no hint of any muscle or bone structure under the skin, no jiggle, no secondary motion, and no folding.

The style of the model is nowhere. It's not life like, it's not expressive, it's inaccurate, and it doesn't match the photos you're trying to base them on. There's no real anatomy, and not a lot of character. It's not very nice to look at, and the way the head's got way too much detail, compared to the rest of the body, is also pretty strange.

I'd say cut it to about half the length, pick the best four or five shots, and put some serious work into expanding them a bit. Go and check out Jeremy Engelman's site - his low poly stuff is really pretty. Get some help with the design and animation, have a close look at what your body parts do when you spread your legs apart that far, and maybe do some life drawing classes.

addy
11-13-2004, 12:54 PM
speechless! i went thru ur reel 3-4 times before i could come out of the trance and post this.

Brilliant work.

gpepper
11-13-2004, 09:05 PM
It's really cool ! The setup of the character seems to be very complex !

RyanDHale
11-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Great picture. real nice style downloading the reel can't wait

Frinsklen
11-14-2004, 04:47 PM
I really, really like the exploding mesh part at the end..yes, I love every shot that human character is in, even though from an animation point of view it's not great. Regardless of the flaws, I think the look you've achieved on those shots is amazing, really good.

:bowdown:

impulseone
11-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Excellent work guys...
Very expressive animation and Great choice of music..The whole piece has great atmosphere...Truly inspiring stuff!!
Keep us posted on the developments!!

caulfield
11-16-2004, 04:21 AM
And one more question - besides the naked mud-face man, how many people worked on this? And which parts did you do?

tikson
11-16-2004, 03:05 PM
It is really beautiful.
I agree with others that some parts are a bit strangey animated, but there were some beautiful contrasts (not very well animated balls against very soft movement of a hand) that compensated it somehow.
For me main advantage was superiour artistic approach. There were not too much realism and it gave more space to other feelings. For example this explosion of a mesh that made me feel very much about this person and complexity of his feelings although it was just digital 'creature'.

Excellent work!

thOrNes
11-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Ok, thanks again for your comments and encouragement.

Concerning the animation part please keep in mind this is a demoreel - I tried to show how my setup worked and I have nowhere mentioned the word 'animation' in my real for the simple reason I didn't do it for the biggest part.

About the setup issues, I can only say I did my best and tried several solutions which would work for a character using lots of extreme poses in his dance. But I'd like you to give your comments on the complete project which is "Chrysalide" and will be posted on CGTalk soon - we actually work on the homepage and some trailers so stay tuned.

Quote: Spike: And one more question - besides the naked mud-face man, how many people worked on this? And which parts did you do?

First thanks for your special interest Spike; the naked mud-faced man dind't work on my demoreel, he was the dancer of my latest project. I did the reel all by myself - for the projects I took the images from; you can see who participated on my homepage. I only filmed the dancer for documentation and some compositing shots. Besides that, I hoped I had made every section of the reel and my participation on every shot clear, sorry for that - the main target of this reel would be compositing and image conception.

sjf2004
11-18-2004, 03:42 AM
cool,i like your editing-style ,hope your working .

choptider
11-22-2004, 12:00 AM
hey!! guys
i know the male model that you take, i draw him some times!!!
he start to be famous now!!!
pretty interesting stuff your video!!!

seirim
11-23-2004, 10:46 AM
I think we must open new doors for use the 3D tecniques more than to make realistic scenes or cartoons, the art word need new ideas, people are bored with the actual art and the 3D posibilities is one of the best solutions. And this job is a good example of this.
I,m Bachelor in Fine Arts, and we tolk very much about this in the university.
Sorry for my english, i,m spanish
Go in, don't stop!!

darkzerox
11-23-2004, 10:17 PM
I thought it was just more of a demonstration of how you rigged the character to move like a real human... the style and music was simply an added bonus to make it more appealing.

Either or, you did a damn good job! :)

mikadit
11-24-2004, 01:39 AM
impressive, ... it's an outstanding work with lot of art implications, I aggree with seirim

SLimNad3Y
11-24-2004, 02:22 AM
Dude, your work is incredible. I thought it very original, very creative, and overall just looked great.

Well done man.

Trashfile
11-24-2004, 06:15 AM
Awesome work. Everything you threw in there was fantastic. I would have left out the character setup work on a compositing and fx reel. Versatality is great, but you're probably not going to be doing character setup and compositing in a larger studio. For a compositing reel, I'd definitely show off my compositing first, then maybe break down into how it was done.
Though, I'm not the one who won (and deserves) an award. Your FX on the text sucks you right into it. Great work!

DarkChilde3DCG
11-24-2004, 06:25 PM
Aside from the intersecting faces at the very end of this animation, it's perfect. Congrats on the award and have a great day.

RubenM
11-24-2004, 09:32 PM
Brilliant art! Very stylish, which I think is one of the most important things in creating art...

Great composition with music and video images in the portfolio aswell!
Conclusion: You are a great talent and I really look up to your work! :D

thOrNes
11-25-2004, 08:36 AM
Finally project 'Chrysalide' and its homepage are ready.
We've posted it on the brand new Finished Animation forum, where you can see the trailers and more specific information regarding each part of the installation, which ,I hope, you will find interesting, too.

http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=189299

Thanks again for your support guys,
Cheers,

thOrNes

Yasko C.
11-28-2004, 02:51 PM
this is off the scale wow the style and the way u presented this was just amazing....... REALLY THE BEST STYLE I"VE SEEN IN A LONG TIME

TeamoVosa
11-29-2004, 04:50 AM
very cool and lonely .music nice ,picture beautiful,black and white is abundant.:thumbsup:
Support you!

roger27
11-30-2004, 05:46 AM
very cool! WOW~

confluence
12-07-2004, 11:07 PM
amazing stuff! totally fantastic

Leafcutter
12-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Hey has Four Tet seen this? I know him and could send a link if you like.

Terkonn
12-21-2004, 03:39 AM
This just blows my mind!

louse
12-28-2004, 07:21 AM
Great!
I like!

Faceofftr
12-29-2004, 07:40 AM
i like your digital imaging and i like your style good work thanks a lot for share it

Kiwi_Bodhi
01-01-2005, 11:31 PM
This is amazing work... wonderful flow.

Kiwi

Ramteen
01-06-2005, 11:41 PM
good and amazing idea !

I like it so much .
good luck :thumbsup:

singhkaran
10-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Hello,

I have never seen the work like u doing. this is just outstanding MASTER PIECE.

i don't know how you people think so different and execute them . i relly love to see your work. if you have time to reply me plz reply me at this mail id (karankiller@yahoo.com).

i would like know about your techeniques...

Keep doing things differently and i will love see them.

Karan singh

From INDIA

segu2613
02-20-2006, 01:07 AM
Congrats! very interesting demo reel.

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2006, 01:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.