PDA

View Full Version : Dual Xeon, is it worth it??

young_927
10-27-2004, 07:16 AM
Hey what's up guys~
I am trying to get a new computer.
I have been looking around and I am thinking of getting a dual Xeon.
I have a friend who's good with computers and he came up with these specs..
But I want to hear from the 3D tech guys! :) what do you guys thinK???

*Asus NCT-D Dual Xeon/E7525/64Bit/FSB800/PCI-Express/ATX Motherboard
*Intel XEON 3.06GHz 533MHz 604pin 512K
*Seagate Barracuda 200 GB SATA 7200rpm 8MB Hard Drive
*Kingston DDR2 PC3200 400MHz 1GB

I have been reading posts on CGtalk, and I hear the Dual Xeons can be really noisy.. is this true?
and I am planning just gettin one CPU for now and get another CPU sometime later.
You can still run your Dual Xeon machine with one CPU right?

I am gonna be runnning XSI, does XSI take a big advantage for Dual Xeons?

Any comments of Opinion will be very appreciated~!

thanks!

Sieb
10-27-2004, 07:54 AM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=179186

justin_ware71
10-28-2004, 05:43 PM
Yes, they are noisy. I know, because i had mine put in the office next door so it wouldn't get on my nerves as much. It has at least six fans i believe so that's probably why its so noisy.

gazapo
03-03-2005, 04:37 PM
What about silent boxes for CPUs?

Vertizor
03-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Zalman makes a "silent" PC case that's basically a heat sink itself, and completely fan-less. The problem with that is it costs upwards to $2000 USD and last time I saw the reviews it didn't say whether there's heat pipes (that's what it uses to transfer heat from CPU to the case) for an additional CPU.

ToddD
03-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Look into swiftech 603(I think they make them 604 as well) heatsinks and vantec stealth 80mm fans, I have them on my duallie, very quiet, no temp problems.

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx603.asp

Neptunes
03-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Some other quiet cooling options for Xeons are using 60mm to 80mm fan adapters
on the stock Intel heatsinks and slap some medium RPM 80mm fans on them like
Panaflos.

I've read about lots of people doing that with overclocked Xeon setups.

If you have some good airflow in your tower, you can try some of those fanless
coolers from Coolermaster (can't remeber the model name).

Those Coolermaster coolers are extreamly popular.

Valkyrien
03-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Or you could save yourself some cash by getting dual Opterons instead...not sure about whether the heat output is comparable though, so it still might be noisy...

Neptunes
03-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Your right Valkyrien, good point.

Make some calculations and see what are the pros and cons.

Getting a Xeon setup and invest on extra cooling gear can easily end
up costing more then an Opteron setup.

Especially since your willing to forego one cpu now and add it later.

My friend has an Athlon 64 3200+ (I think) and the stock fan does a
fine job and is not noisy.

3dRacer
03-04-2005, 09:06 PM
I don`t think that you would save some cash by choosing opterons. If you go for Asus NCCH-DL, it does not require ECC-Reg ram or EPS power supply, 2x Nocona 3 ghz cpus, then you`ll beat anything that AMD can come up for the same price! If someone think that it`s not true, give me something that beats that Xeon and I`ll go over to Opteron right now!

TeeWorks
03-04-2005, 11:42 PM
take 2 fat passive cooling radiators (zalman reserators? *hehe* :D ) ...2 external waterpumps ... and build up a noisless passive watercooled Xeon-engine :) :)

Valkyrien
03-05-2005, 06:11 AM
I don`t think that you would save some cash by choosing opterons. If you go for Asus NCCH-DL, it does not require ECC-Reg ram or EPS power supply, 2x Nocona 3 ghz cpus, then you`ll beat anything that AMD can come up for the same price! If someone think that it`s not true, give me something that beats that Xeon and I`ll go over to Opteron right now!

I think you're operating under the mistaken assumption that more Ghz means more power. I assure you, an opteron 252 operating at 2.2Ghz is every bit as powerful, if not more so, than a Xeon at 3.0Ghz. Those numbers simply represent marketing tactics.:)

peanuckle
03-05-2005, 06:13 AM
Do you know which models of the Opteron are comparable to the Xeon? I am curious.

Tanner

leigh
03-05-2005, 06:33 AM
I use a dual Xeon at work and have a dual Xeon at home as well. My one at work is relatively silent while my one at home is rather noisy. Both are great machines with excellent performance, and despite the decible output on my own machine, I still love it and it was worth every cent of the $5000 it cost me to build it. I have yet to run XSI on my one at work, but I run XSI at home and get great performance.

Whether you go for Opteron or Xeon, dual-processor machines rock for 3D :)

ToddD
03-05-2005, 06:35 AM
Do you know which models of the Opteron are comparable to the Xeon? I am curious.

Well back in june in another forum I go to, we had a member with a dual xeon 3.06, and another member with a dual opteron 248 do a benchmark test(/max6features/scenes/mentalray/). They rendered the scene within 3 seconds of each other, just over 5 minutes. The opteron with the was the leader, at the time there was a pretty big difference in price.....which is why I purchased xeons soon after ;)

3dRacer
03-05-2005, 11:13 PM
I think you're operating under the mistaken assumption that more Ghz means more power. I assure you, an opteron 252 operating at 2.2Ghz is every bit as powerful, if not more so, than a Xeon at 3.0Ghz. Those numbers simply represent marketing tactics.:)

No, I`ve never said that more ghz means more power and I know very well that opteron 252 beats the Xeon 3,6... But it looks like you have misundestood my answer, I said compare price agains performance. You can compare Xeon 3 ghz with the opteron 246, which is the most reasonable to compare with, Xeon will have better performance and is cheaper!!

novadude
03-05-2005, 11:24 PM
performance between the two will depend on which programs you are using.
3dsmax -> intel
maya -> amd
and the price difference is almost non-existant if you purchase some better coolers for your intel space heaters, otherwise it is the difference in RAM +~$20. Sure, you might have slightly better performance while its running MAX, but when it shuts/slows down to save itself from overheating during a render you'll lose more than that difference.

lots
03-06-2005, 02:10 AM

Btw the 252's operate at 2.6 GHz ;)

Granted the Xeon system may have be cheaper overall (mainly cuz the CPUs are not the ones that require ECC mem). But does the Xeon have a feature rich board like the Nforce4 Pro 2200+2050? :) And do they run as cool? :P Your Xeon mobo wont be dual core ready either while the Opteron boards are..

dan1el
03-06-2005, 02:14 AM
I'm working on a HP xw6200 with dual xeon, it makes less noise than our previous IBM dual P4.
You can hear it but it's not annoying....in normal working conditions then you don't hear it...now I am here alone, then you hear it.

but seriously...Maya takes advatages of the Hyperthreading very nicely, now I just need to get the 6.5 upgrade.

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2005, 02:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.