PDA

View Full Version : Comustion with maya and 3dstudio max 7

kyp
10-27-2004, 06:18 AM
I am looking to buy combustion 3 and also a 3d software package. I have pretty much made up mind my between 3ds and Maya. Now the hard part, deciding which one to buy. I have just been to discreet's overdrive tour so I know what 3ds and combustion can do. Heck if I had butt loads of money I would be buying a flame or an Inferno. Any ways here is my questions I want to know the benefits of 3ds with combustion and are they worth it? Will I be ok with Maya? I would be a new user to 3ds and an intermediate user to Maya, and a new user to combustion. I have about $12,000 budget to get all the software and hardware. Also if any one has any suggestions on hardware config to make combustion kick some major butt that would be much appreciated.

Thank you guys for your help.

Kyp

maxFX
11-12-2004, 09:08 AM
Dear friend, i dont know if this will help you but we are using in my studio Flint Flame & combustion with 3Dsmax max for several years now and we are satisfied with the overall performance.
Good thing is that once a scene is renderered using .cws format ( from 3Dsmax ) we get access to the depth of a scene and we can have several layers that make compositing so much easy. This can allow you to easily change several parameters of your scene very easily, especially when you need all the time you can get!And, when you wish to upgrade to a flame system you also get this kind of easiness,without changing your current timeline ( e.g if you where using AE or Digital Fusion )

I would recommend 3dsmax with combustion over any other compositing combination due to its value for money and quality.Maya can also export .IFF files with depth information and all other bells and whistles , but you cant for e.g to take camera data from maya and put it to combustion.

I hope this helps :)

kyp
11-23-2004, 04:40 AM
Hey thanks alot maxFX. That does help out alot.

Kyp

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.