PDA

View Full Version : The Hook (yarrr!), Brian Prince For Wannado City (2D)

balistic
10-27-2004, 04:23 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/388/388_1098847380_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/388/388_1098847380.jpg)

Title: The Hook (yarrr!)
Name: Brian Prince For Wannado City
Software: Photo-Paint

Some of you may have seen this before. It was originally posted just before the legacy galleries were phased out, so I thought I'd wait a while and then put it here in the new area. Jose Saenz did a pencil sketch of the character from which I made this digital illustration for Wannado City amusement park. It is currently in use as a back-lit poster at a theatrical box office.

The main thing the client was after was a strong sense of mood, so I tried to push the lighting and optical effects in that direction. There are some things I'd do differently with the clouds if I had it to do over again, but I'm happy with the piece on the whole. Again, props to Jose for the character design.

It was done with Corel Photo-Paint 10 in about 12 hours, on a ratty old 12x12" Wacom ArtZ II digitizer. No reference was used, except a map of the moon (so I could get the blotches in roughly the right places).

And just as a bonus, here is another piece from the same series of posters:

http://www.bprince.com/HollowF.jpg

Again, sketched by Jose Saenz, painted by me. The smoke was a bit of a trick in that one. I wound up having to make a custom brush nib for it.

Thanks for looking.

noelt
10-27-2004, 07:02 AM
This is so good i love the cartoony vibe. This is my favorite style of illustration.4 stars :bounce:

I-NetGraFX
10-27-2004, 07:37 AM
I've seen it in the lecacy forum and your work is still awesome. :thumbsup:
The smoke in your halloween bonus pic turns out great!

Cheers, Daniel :arteest:

nekro
10-27-2004, 08:03 AM
amazing work

Dai-J-To
10-27-2004, 08:08 AM
Great pictures!!
The atmosphere aspect is really well done.
I think your client was pretty satisfied with the result.

What's your oppionion on Corel Photo-Paint compared to Adobe Photoshop?
I've used it for some time but I decided to stay with Photoshop.

bfc
10-27-2004, 08:19 AM
great serie of works:thumbsup: 5stars

MarieMJS
10-27-2004, 11:05 AM
I absolutely love the design of your pirate, and the lighting of the whole scene is incredible!
Beautiful moonlight makes this particular atmosphere, part of the perfect mix between real life feeling(lights, textures,...) and the cartoon design of the character and the ship!
Illustration like this one are some of my favorite!
And for the halloween poster, the smoke is great, and the light in the pumpkin has an excellent rendering!

MarieMJS.

SpaceTik
10-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Congratulations my friend! you have an amazing talent! You are now in my top 4 favourite digital painters i've come across in the last 2 years!!

Great style!!

BlinkOk
10-27-2004, 11:43 AM
awesome work. just perfect

robytom
10-27-2004, 01:45 PM
great! I like it very, very much!

balistic
10-27-2004, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

What's your oppionion on Corel Photo-Paint compared to Adobe Photoshop?
I've used it for some time but I decided to stay with Photoshop.
I started using it in version 8, and back then it had numerous advantages over Photoshop, in terms of what you could do with the brush engine (textures, randomization, blending) . . . plus you could just do a lot more with it as an image editor (paint in 48-bit color, no layer limit, highly-customizable interface layout, et cetera). Now though, the only realy advantage it seems to maintain is a nice blending attribute on brushes that lets you do some oil-like effects. It's a technique I used to lean on quite a bit, but I use it less and less these days, so I may start to migrate over to Painter or PS within the next year or so.

But at the same time, I'm doing okay with Photo-Paint . . . maybe I should leave well enough alone :)

I try to stay familiar with the latest versions of Photoshop regardless.

elnady
10-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Great work

i like the second very much
i thinnk the irst one have too much reflection on the water than the moon light
anyway great

MKStudios
10-28-2004, 04:41 AM
Terrific work man! I remember seeing your stuff years back on the A:M list. Your style in these is superb! The rendering of the lighting is terrific and I really like all the details in the pirate image. Good work on the sail too, the translucency is very convincing.

Dai-J-To
10-28-2004, 07:44 AM
Hmmm... your right... But I didn't use a lot of those brushes back then, simply because I didn't have a tablet to work with back then :D
And since PS was the trend at school I got swooped along with the rest.

But I think I'll download a trail and give it a wirl...

Thanks for the info!

Luke Mrozek
10-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Splendid images, The Hook is superb. I would love to see wip for this one.

Isurus
10-28-2004, 03:54 PM
great paintings! i used corel photopaint 8 years ago and agree that it was more useful at the time than photoshop was. i didnt have a wacom at the time though. the layer effects that photopaint were better than adobes imo.

now i have a wacom and im playing with painter 9 trial and adobe PS CS. i dont find adobe very painter friendly but perhaps i just need to make my own custom brushes. painter you can basically just jump into - it's work flow is more geared to getting something started than photoshop is.

balistic
10-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Splendid images, The Hook is superb. I would love to see wip for this one.
Thanks!

Here is Jose's sketch from which I worked:

http://www.bprince.com/HookSketch.gif

AdamMiller
10-28-2004, 05:59 PM
I too have seen this before and have always been quite impressed with it. The parts that stand out the most to me are the moons reflection on the water which looks FANTASTIC and the bright shining highlights on the sides of the pumpkin. Exquisite.

byanfu
10-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Nice work Ballistic,

Your 2d skills have really taken off since the last time I have seen any of your work. Keep up the good job.

Dimagery
10-29-2004, 04:49 AM
Excellent work, I think the clouds are supurb, and i like the little details on the sword etc.
Good work..

gnz
10-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Excellent, I really like this :) Specially the ship!, reminds me of Monkey Island! you really captured that pirateyTM mood.

balistic
10-30-2004, 06:29 AM
Thanks guys! :buttrock: (we need a pirate smiley)

jasonkey
11-01-2004, 07:08 PM
that pumkin is a perfect "halloweeny" pic.

(almost got my avatar :)

WilliG
11-02-2004, 01:50 AM
I really like both these images and would love to try photo-paint myself... where can i get a copy!?

balistic
11-02-2004, 03:41 PM
I really like both these images and would love to try photo-paint myself... where can i get a copy!?

Unfortunately, Corel only sells it as part of the full Draw bundle. They used to offer it by itself, but not since Corel acquired Painter from Metacreations (I guess they didn't want to promote two independent paint programs).

Sometimes you can find the Draw bundle going pretty cheap on ebay, especially if you pick up last year's version. I'm still using v10, and they're currently on release 12.

J-CoM
11-04-2004, 04:44 PM
I love the way you've rendered the light reflecting off the water, not only is it pretty but it really makes that part of the painting jump out.

very cool

magicm
11-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Great work Brian. That pumpkin is just brilliant! The lighting on the floor around the pumpkin is spot on. :thumbsup: !

- Martijn

Eiyon
11-05-2004, 12:24 AM
w-wow that's amazing.

DANKA
11-05-2004, 08:59 AM
Ehi! I love it! :applause:

Derrie
11-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Arg, lol. That's a short little pirate. The art work is super!! :)

madone01
11-07-2004, 01:43 AM
superb work my friend looks good enough to touch wish i could paint 1/2 as good as u :banghead: :bowdown: :thumbsup:

meathead
11-07-2004, 06:38 AM
Hello Those ar enice images. Readlly from the realm of children's books. I have not read the rest of the posts, just looked at the images, so that might have been said already.

I thought I would have seen more pumpkins around last weekend on CG posts. Nice to see atleast one. I made one too, Check it out:

http://www.cgchannel.com/gallery/viewimage.jsp?imgID=6284

Lanius
11-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Dammit i keep wonderin what the pirate's face looks like...
Why did you choose to block it from sight?

You sure answered well to the aim fer atmosphere.
Love the stylistic approach and the lighting is simply awesome!
and the pumpkin is, in a word, incredible. smokes and lighting all.

sam4grafix
11-25-2004, 08:53 AM
WOW!! That pumkin is too hat! I LOVE THAT!:thumbsup:

sam4grafix
11-25-2004, 08:54 AM
WOW!! That pumkin is too hat! I LOVE THAT!:thumbsup:

ZombieFrog
12-18-2004, 06:22 PM
5 stars from me, no crits

Rys
12-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Beautiful work. In so many ways, this piece captures the mood and atmosphere of the subject.

I'd love to see prints available of this in the future ;)

manaddi
12-23-2004, 06:57 PM
wonderful artwork

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.