PDA

View Full Version : Dualhead with Y vga cable = 4 monitors

a3000
10-27-2004, 02:41 AM
I just put my hand on a quadro 4 900XGL 128 with dualhead,
Need to know if I can get 4 monitors with 2 Y dvi->vga cables.

The quadro is strong enough to display 4 screens ?
or basically it's not for this kind of setup exercice...

I'm curious if someone try this configuration.
Y cables are just a joke or a real add-on for dualhead card?

A3000

novadude
10-27-2004, 02:56 AM
If it would even display a signal on all four screens, it would only be two different images. The y cable splits the data, it doesn't allow for extra screens to be sent out.

imashination
10-27-2004, 10:17 AM
If it would even display a signal on all four screens, it would only be two different images. The y cable splits the data, it doesn't allow for extra screens to be sent out.

*COUGH* The quadro cards can split a single DVI port into two individual 15-pin ports, giving 4 different screens.

Check on the nvidia website how many screens the card can support, the low end ones are limited to 2 screens whilst the better ones can split off up to 4 screens.

lots
10-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Assuming the plugs on the Quadro are DVI, You would need to use full pin DVI plugs to be able to create two separate images off one DVI plug on the card..

xwave3000
10-28-2004, 12:12 AM
That's cool and all, but what the hell does anyone need 4 screens for?

lots
10-28-2004, 05:58 AM
Cuz 4's better than 2 ;)

Actually I've noticed a trend... Once you use more monitors, you find it hard to go back to lower numbers.

1 -> 2
2 -> 3+ etc...

Its just you find ways to utilize all that desktop space. :) I know on my set up (2 19" CRTs at 3200x1200 resolution) i run out of desktop space pretty fast if i've got XSI/LW Photoshop Firefox and AIM up and running ;) It's pretty tempting for me to add two more monitors just for the sake of desktop space. The sad thing is I could :) I do have 2 more monitors laying around and can gather up enough pci video cards to support it ;)

xwave3000
10-28-2004, 01:03 PM
alt-tab isn't good enough anymore?

nrgy
10-28-2004, 01:26 PM
I know the Matrox cards have this but dont know anything about the Qaudro's.

Originally Posted by xwave3000

Being able to view multipul app's or just more desktop space is alot better then alt-tab'ing. I know for instance having your application of choice open with the help files on another screen is alot easier to follow along with then constantly fliping back and forth. I too use to run dual 19" displays but then to help save space I purchased a 24" widescreen monitor, but I still miss being able to view my application with say a tut or the docs on another screen.

a3000
10-28-2004, 01:57 PM
Hi xwave3000,
Try the gallery around there
http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/gallery_browse.asp?ID=547&date=desc&nummon=false&mon=desc

A3000

imashination
10-28-2004, 02:31 PM

You must be new around here.

lots
10-29-2004, 06:04 AM
Alt-tabbing is actually sometimes fairly tedious. It's almost easier to go click on the button on the start bar ;). Think about it, if you've got 5 or 6 aim convos going, PS, LW (thats two windows) or XSI, and Firefox, and maybe in my case an ssh session or two, along with an xserver running so i can run linux/unix programs off the campus computers on my desktop so i can do my homework.. Then alt-tabbing becomes fairly useless :) if i wanted to get to a program on the bottom of the stack :P

Anyway the Quadro NVS series cards can support up to 4 monitors per board, and since some models are PCI, you can plug in quite a few ;) Imagine just two, thats 8 screens right there *drool* :P

Though, I dont think I could use that much desktop space at the moment. But you never know :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.