PDA

View Full Version : Z-Brush scene: Wompus Winter

Dan-Burke
10-27-2004, 02:31 AM
Hi there,

It's great to finally be a member of CGTALK again after a long absence. Nice to see a Z-Brush forum here too.

I thought I'd post my last Z-Brush effort here with my first post. It's a combination of a few MAX models, some Z-modified MAX models and some pure Z models since I'm still rather new to Z. This effort was an attempt to create a whole scene with Z, using its renderer and lighting to see what I could do with it.

http://nukleon.com/assets/images/Z/Wompus-Winter-Snow.jpg

Dan

calimity
10-27-2004, 09:04 AM
hey, in my opinion this just rox. was it all made in zbrush? and if so wat techniques did you use cause im trying to learn zbrush but dont know where to start :( but yeah excellent work.

calimity
10-27-2004, 12:35 PM
man, thats awesome. what techniques do u use if that was all done in zbrush (including render)
and like wat moddeling techniques cause im new and yeah, awesome work.

roguenroll
10-27-2004, 03:24 PM
cool, I like it. it has a nice amount of detail. looks like stop action minitures. ala tim burton

meats
10-27-2004, 05:53 PM
I love all the detail in this image, the trees are great, and the Wompus is cool.

You know what bugs me about it, although?
The lighting. You can see a really big bright moon behind the character, but somehow all of the lighting is coming from above (and all around). I think relighting with a bright back-light and some front fill (or even a warm light coming from the lantern) would really improve the image over-all.

Very creative image:thumbsup:

roguenroll
10-27-2004, 08:08 PM
more stary sky with more depth, i think would add greatly to the shot. its a little backdrop-ish.
great stuff though

Dan-Burke
10-28-2004, 02:07 AM
Hello there!

Thanks for those who commented..I really appreciate the feedback.

Calimity: Yep, this is a Z-Brush render with minor tweaks made in Photoshop and I added the falling snow in Photoshop as well. Basically, this was an attempt to see what I could do just rendering in Z Brush. I can't spin this scene around...I basically imported various OBJ's done in MAX and models I modifed or made completely in Z-Brush and just dropped them in the scene. Everything you see here was textured in Z-Brush as well using AUV tiles.

Rogue: Yep, I think you're on to something there..I may add some depth to the sky and maybe a better looking moon. The moon right now is just a flat circle from Z...I know, very graphic. ;) I think it looks rather Burtonesque too and I like that effect.

Meats: Yup I think you're right about the lighting..technically the stuff in front of the moon should be in silhouette but I didn't want to hide the subject...maybe I will reduce the moon's brightness a bit and tweak the lighting as well. Z-'s lighting is a bit more limited than I would like but I am sure I could improve the lighting with this image. Thanks for the feedback.

I'll post an update soon when I get to back to this! :D

Dan

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.