PDA

View Full Version : Painter IX - What's Included - Boxed, Download, or Academic Versions

Jinbrown
10-26-2004, 07:30 PM
Hi folks,

Since there's a lot of confusion as to what's included in the three Painter IX versions, boxed, download, or academic, I checked again with Corel this morning and here's the skinny (at least for today).

Per Corel Customer Support on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 11:00 am Pacific Time:

Painter IX Boxed version includes:

1 CD
Application on the CD
Handbook (tutorials)
PDF User Guide on the CD
Extra Brushes and Art Materials on the CD
Free online support for life of product

It does not include:

Hard copy User Guide - may be purchased separately for $49 U.S.
Sketchbook (was only available for pre-orders/launch)

Painter IX download includes:

Application only
Free online support for life of product

It does not include:

Handbook (tutorials) - may be purchased separately for $25 U.S.
PDF User Guide - will be on the Painter IX website soon
Extra brushes and art materials

Painter IX Academic version includes:

1 CD
Appplication on the CD
PDF User Guide on the CD
Extra brushes and art materials on the CD

It does not include:

Handbook (tutorials) - may be purchased separately for $25 U.S.
Free online support

If you have any more questions, please contact Corel Customer Support at 1-800-772-6735 in the U.S. or check for other contact numbers at:

Corel Contact Information, Phone Numbers and Addresses (http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel2/Section/Content&sid=1047022946165&cid=1047022946873)

theCloudmover
10-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Hi Jin.

I might add one thing-

The creators in the Handbook (tutorials) book are:

Ryan Church
Jeremy Sutton
Cher Thereinen-Pendarvis
John & Joyce Ryan
Don Seegmiller
Andrew Jones
Christopher Welch
Chet Phillips
John Desmukes

Seegmiller's tutorial takes you through the creation of Blue Hunchback (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=179810)

The Ryan Church tutorial follows step-by step through the top pic on this page. (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=1854&page=4)

There is a nice variety of tutorials in the book. It was a cool addition to the overall package.

I would definitely pick up the boxed version for the handbook and the extras on the CD. Since you can get the boxed upgrade for $199 (with the sketchbook :banghead: ) from macmall.com or another reputable online vendor it seems like a no brainer to me.

Jinbrown
10-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Hi cloudmover,

Thanks for adding the list of creators in the Handbook. They're pretty impressive!

I think the boxed version is what I'd buy too, even if it does cost a bit more. It'll be worth it.

Erik Heyninck
10-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Only in the States and Canada that is.

When I last checked at corel.co.uk, the download version was as expensive as the boxed one. Minus sending. O, and the prices they mention are without VAT.
This snark is a boojum indeed.

Corel Holland doesn't even allow download.

kraal
10-26-2004, 11:44 PM
what exactly is sketchbook???

and does anyone know if the ryan church tut is better than the tut for that image ' digital fantasy painting workshop'?????

theCloudmover
10-27-2004, 01:11 AM
what exactly is sketchbook???

and does anyone know if the ryan church tut is better than the tut for that image ' digital fantasy painting workshop'?????

LOL The "sketchbook" is a sketchbook. A regular old 10" x 7" $2.99 sketchbook with Corel Painter IX on the cover. The paper in the sketchbook is the quality of Xerox paper.

:shrug:

Yeah... It's free so I won't complain.

I don't own the Digital Fantasy Painting Workshop book so I can't say if the tutorials are the same or better.

kraal
10-27-2004, 03:14 AM
thats funny i was looking up corel software all morning.....

Erik Heyninck
10-27-2004, 10:25 PM
Thanks, Jin.
I tried the demo again after a week or so with 8, and it is indeed an improvement, even for what I want to do. (I see Painter as a much more powerful and handy paint and draw add-on to Photoshop) So I ordered my P9 upgrade from a local shop. For once they are the cheapest (155Euro, all taxes included).

The main drawback I find is the bizarre way of naming things. Perhaps they try to keep in touch with the users of the KaiKrause days of psychoparaphernalia, but a more conventional namegiving would be much appreciated. The integration with the mainstream of nowadays apps would be tighter, and this would be good for P's reputation. (which, as a read in many places on the web, has been severely damaged).

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.