PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Jose Vicente Carratala Sanchis

carratala
10-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Jose Vicente Carratala Sanchis has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

carratala
10-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Hi everyone!

My name is Jose Vicente Carratala Sanchis ("Vince", for short).
I'm an industrial designer from Spain and I've been always involved in 3d imagery jobs.
I'm very pleased to enter this challenge and hope you have fun with my work.

carratala
10-26-2004, 10:38 PM
I've always been attracted by black holes.

May be it's because we won't know for sure it's real structure.

Or may be because it could proove (this I hope) some points on Einstein's Relativity Theory.

There are many things about black holes that keep me fascinated.

One of them is the fact that an incredible amount of mass could be concentrated in a point with virtually no volume.

Other thing, attending to the Relativity Theory, is the possible fact that gravity affects time. One of the consecuences of this possible fact is the Event Horizon, the point where time can get freezed.

As everybody knows, this phenomena takes the name of Black Hole because it's gravity is so big that even the light itself is not able to scape. So, making a picture of a black hole may be funny thing because... it can't be seen - hehehe.

A possible idea for the challenge could be a space ship gone wich has gone to explore a black hole. But during its exploration has been caught within the gravitational field of the hole, and it's having trouble to scape.

carratala
10-26-2004, 11:15 PM
this is my first concept drawing. I'ts simply a black hole absorbing all the matter surrounding it.

carratala
10-27-2004, 09:36 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4840/4840_1098866165_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4840/4840_1098866165_large.jpg)

Here is the first concept image

Bumbi
10-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Yes, an black hole can have a great epic impact, but by itself it wont do the opera. Make something critical getting destroyd by the black hole. A great mythical colonyship. Earths entire armada. Make it rest in the middle of a graveyard of destroyed ships.

Maybe there is a alien fleet trying to build structure to create a wormhole or maybe a giant gravitional weapon.

Good luck!

carratala
10-27-2004, 11:06 AM
You're right! - Thanks for your comments bumbi!

The black hole is not intended to be the main thing in my work. It's just the thing that makes the rest of the action happen.

But, what will it happen?

I have some points of trouble with black holes. Consider all the things that you're eyes are seeing right now. Most of them are illuminated by the sun. The funny thing here is that the sun not only does not throw light to it's environment - it actually eats everything even the light!

So, how do we see all the action in the scene?

Well, actually there is a theory saying that some black holes do exist in binary systems, that is, planetary systems with two suns. So, I could consider a binary system in wich one of the suns has become a black hole. This way I could have light and a black hole at the same time.

but ACTION!

What could happen in this image that could be part of an space opera?

Let's take in consideration the following question:

What if our sun could turn into a black hole?

Well, for sure you could think that the process for a sun to become a black hole lasts millions of years. So, if our sun turned to a black hole we would have time enough to find another home to migrate there.

But the truth is that almost of the information out there about holes are theories trying to be validated with observations. We don't really know all the truth about holes.

Imagine a populated planet in a binary system.

But one day one of the two suns on that system SUDDENLY collapses into itself, starting to eat the rest of the system. The entire planetary system has to leave their planets before the hole gets them caught within its gravitational force.

Will they make it?

Or will it be too late to escape?

Well, brainstorming goes on.

carratala
10-27-2004, 11:21 AM
I was wondering..

How could a star suddenly collapse?
May be scientifics have take for sure that all the stars take millions of years to collapse, but there can exist one wich collapse in infinitely less time. This way, my proposal would turn around fragility, or the fact that the human race is completely fragile considering the events the may occur (naturally) on space. Imagine millions of years of evolution put to the test by such an event.

But remember Darth Vader?
He destroyed Alderaan just to show his destructive power in a war.
Well, let's think about planetary wars. What if you could destroy a planet (a la Skywalker)? Its entire population would be forced to leave, but could land, for example, on the next planet of the system.

But what if you destroyed the sun, collapsing it to a hole? Well, it certainly would do the rest of the job for you, destroying not only the planet but all the system, and reducing the survival possibilities of the population, since the energy needed to travel to the next planetary system would be infinitely larger than the energy needed to migrate to the neighbour planet.

carratala
10-27-2004, 12:00 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4840/4840_1098874847_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4840/4840_1098874847_large.jpg)

This is a second concept drawing. Habitants of the planet start to leave in spaceships as a black hole starts to destroy their system...

And I know: I paint like a child.

carratala
10-27-2004, 10:08 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4840/4840_1098911286_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4840/4840_1098911286_large.jpg)

This is a little 3d study on the last sketch posted

Claireabella
11-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Hi Vince. I really like the view angle you;ve got going. Good luck with the comp and I'll keep watching. :) Claireabella

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.