PDA

View Full Version : Random crashes, possibly driver related?

aenema
10-26-2004, 05:50 AM
For a couple weeks now my computer has been randomly crashing. Not too frequently, for example only once yesterday, and once today. I know its about to crash when my mouse becomes a giant square, and it looks as if it the display is turned to 16 bit color and overlayed with a bunch of static. Then a few seconds after I get a blue screen saying that the computer was about to crash, so windows shut it down. I cannot usually make out the rest of the information, but one time I was able to make out a line that said "nv4_disp.dll caused an infinite loop", however other times I was unable to find this line on the blue screen. Now, I didn't install any new hardware lately, and I can't remember installing any software prior to the first time it did this. I rolled back the nvidia 66.81 drivers I was using to 61.77, but the problem has persisted. Does anyone have similar experiences or knows what is going on here? I would really appreciate it! Thanks

lv-88
10-26-2004, 07:22 AM
I've got an error like that one before, however, not that it would shutdown the whole compute.

maybe your computer got infected with an virus, try searching with norton antivirus or bitdefender, or you could try by removing all the graphics drivers and reinstall the latest version.

-Vormav-
10-26-2004, 07:52 AM
I googled for "nv4_disp.dll caused an infinite loop" and came up with a bunch of results... This seems to have been a common problem before.. I've read in some places that people updated their bios and graphics card drivers, but I haven't found any definite answers to this anywhere. It seems to be an old problem, so I'd bet there's a fix out there. I just haven't found that much on it yet. Look around on this page and see if there's any more on it:
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002mar/bch20020305010574.htm

log0n
10-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Get memtest86+ and check your memory. Chances are you'll know right away if it's messed up, but if you don't want to be bothered waiting for it, run it during dinner, or overnight assuming it'll make it through the night.

I've lost years of owning unstable computers and it turns out they were probably all due to bad ram.

http://www.memtest.org/

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.