PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember the time they first got Photoshop?

jondafonte
10-26-2004, 12:44 AM
I remember when I got it, I stayed up all night trying every single filter and tool, then created millions of awful images of motion blurred photos and twirled effects.

Stroker
10-26-2004, 12:54 AM
I remember.
I hated it because I was coming from Deluxe Paint 4 on my Amiga.
No morphing, no multi-coloured brushes, no animation.
I really miss multi-coloured brushes. :sniff:
But times were changing and I had to adapt.

Wycoff3d
10-26-2004, 01:38 AM
Boy I do - loved it. Ver 3. Made me change the way I worked. Great app all the way!:thumbsup:

Maven
10-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Yes...I was "given" it back it college and I was hooked...I can't remember what version it was...maybe 4 or something.

dwin
10-26-2004, 11:53 AM
I get a course that used photoshop. I think I use version 4 at the first time. I don't really remember the version i used.

Elysian
10-26-2004, 02:05 PM
Having or using Photoshop are two things. I met people lots of people who say that they use Photoshop since version 3 or 4, but who still make unbelievable crappy images. :eek:

halo
10-26-2004, 02:59 PM
yes v2...and im with CS i'm still capable of producing even more crap that I did with v2 ;)

layers what a revelation...history, pah can't teach an old dog new tricks...set history to 1 and come what may.

shmack
10-28-2004, 01:24 AM
I remember when i first got Photoshop. I was using Version 6.....well.... Trying to use.
I had no idea about layers, i was confused as to why i couldn't move things. I gave up.

Learnt photoshop at University and now I would't turn back! =P :applause:

Trog
10-31-2004, 06:14 PM
I got an art scholarship based off some computer paintings I did on an Amiga in the late 80's. I can't even remember what software I used, but I did it pixel by pixel. The school was just converting it's design department from traditional letterset (drafting tables, ruby lith, parallel bars, oh my :eek: ) to computers. When I got to college they just installed a some Apple IIe's with I think Photoshop v2. Those little computers with the monitors built in. Old schoolz.

maxx10
10-31-2004, 07:24 PM
Photoshop 1.7... ages ago, no history... no layers... you'd do everything with channels...

levi
10-31-2004, 09:28 PM
Photoshop 1.7... ages ago, no history... no layers... you'd do everything with channels...
ah.. yes, back when Kai was king. CHOPs should be required study, for anyone thinking of buying PS.

Blip
10-31-2004, 09:41 PM
Haha, Kai! And his tools and goo of power! And of course the ever-abused eye-candy plug-ins that came standard with it back then (I don't mean standard in the retail version... but for little internet brats like I was back then, the whole point of having photoshop was to use eye-candy and the other plug-ins/filters).

I was a freshman in high school using an old version of Corel's photo-whatever software. Then a friend gave me PS 3 on a cd, whch I thought was so freaking cool. 4 came out just then, quickly "upgraded." I remember being the first one at high school to get my hands on 5 (the nerds trembled before me), and by that point I was actually doing some nifty things in it. Then I went to art school and have kept up ever since.

rickmann
11-01-2004, 05:41 AM
I remmeber using ver 1.2.5 back in early 90' s. I remmeber because i was taking a photography class in school, and the teacher had started to show us these things called apple computers and how they could help us in putting color into b/w photographs. At the time I thought, what a waste of time...

now i'm making a living off of the very same thing... Go figure??

Back then is when it took 5 to 6 steps to create a realistic drop shadow...now you can create drop shdows in the push a button.. it can slice.. it can dice.. and yes it can even make the most beautiful curly freis in the blink of eye.. Thabks Adobe :thumbsup: , and to the original creator of Photoshop.. damned if I can remmeber is name though!!

Rick

rickmann
11-01-2004, 05:41 AM
yeah photoshop!

NeoJin131
11-04-2004, 09:06 PM
my life would be incomplete without photoshop

when i use max and photoshop together, its like doing drugs..
without all the negatives (except staying up too late)

Elysian
11-05-2004, 12:20 AM
my life would be incomplete without photoshopPoor guy... :sad:

its like doing drugs..I never used it, so I don't know.:shrug:

Stroker
11-05-2004, 10:24 AM
If you want a trip down Memory Lane, or a younin' that wants to know, here are the original: Kai's Power Tips (http://www.gurusnetwork.com/kpt/).

A lot of the material in there still applies.

PhillipCrond
11-06-2004, 08:49 AM
I cut my teeth on Photoshop 3.0LE, then the 1.0 version of Paint Shop Pro (I think that's what it was called?), and then ponied up for the educational version of Photoshop 4.0 right when it came out, from my college bookstore. I remember two things about photoshop back in those days, outside of the features of the software:

1) Mentioning photohop to 99% of the world resulted in quizzical looks, like "what the hell is a photoshop??" Now my grandma uses "photoshop" as a verb.

2) The other 1% that knew what it was were like "whoa, you HAVE photoshop??"

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.