PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel Crit...

luispages
10-25-2004, 09:41 PM
I need some feedback, here's my demo reel and I'd like to know what you think.

Demo Reel (http://www.solidanimations.com/demo_reel.htm)

Thanks

Luis

Yourworstnightmare
10-26-2004, 01:15 AM
your work is amazing! Basically there is nothing to critique. every ting is perfect. There is one thing that i don't like right after elmo walks and the yellow guy starts to do the backflips, where hes hands touch the floor when he is doing the backflips, it isnt as smooth as the rest of his animation. Everything else is perfect.

luispages
10-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks Yourworstnightmare, you are right that looks a lil weird, I'll go and tweek that try to make it look better...

Anything else.. anybody

Frelp
10-26-2004, 10:03 PM
Love it! The car-character stuff looks fantastic!

All I would say is that the melting-alien-dude only relly needs to appear once. You don't want to repeat stuff too much in general. Have the different walks but the melting thing is a cool gimmick (spelling?) and you don't want to wear it thin by showing it over and over.

Great stuff mate! :thumbsup:

lyndon
10-26-2004, 10:50 PM
Yeah its nice, but I think Frelp is right. I think in general the reel is too long. Its hard to discard things that you want to show to people, but from what I've heard and learned the shorter the reel the better - even if its just 15 seconds. Most animation companies like to recieve reels of 30secs or less and only your very best stuff.

I would recomend getting rid of anything that is a repeat for sure! I would possibly cut out the chains moving with the ball because it doesn't give the same feel of quality as say the jeep or the petrol pump. Maybe speed up or reduce the number of shots of the building making itself too as you kind of know whats going to happen, you know its going to build itself, but you have to wait for it to get there.

Im not trying to be harsh, but its not easy to be overly selective when its your own blood sweat and tears that have gone into each shot. :)

of course its completly up to you, its just my 2p worth.

luispages
10-27-2004, 02:31 PM
This is not harsh at all I actually like your opinions and ideas, it really helps and honestly makes perfect sense to me, keep it coming and once again thanks....

Luis

Lucid1313
10-27-2004, 06:40 PM
great work dude

mttjss
10-27-2004, 09:25 PM
keep it simple..

Likes - the character "deaths" were very good..I would probably just throw them together in a short sequence back-to-back. Loved the ball going through the chains..very nice.

Dislikes - The ocean waves were cool, but you need to REALLY shorten this...way too long..the bridge scene was ok, but I dont think you need it in the reel..
I thought the gas pumps was good for lip sync but then we need to hear what they say.
Lastly, I think the whole reconstructing of the building can be way sped up..you can keep it..just make it quicker..if they want to re watch it they can slow it down and watch it.

other than that I am liking it... show us more.
:thumbsup:

ajk48n
10-30-2004, 09:13 AM
I don't think the gas tanks are showing off much of the fluid dynamics. Maybe if they were animated more wildly, and you could see the fluid really jumping around inside them, it might show off the simulation a little better.

foggyball
10-30-2004, 06:15 PM
I can't view this on the Mac using either VLC or MPlayer, might be nice to have it compatible with both Mac and PC. I'll try to view it on PC later.

Xeroedge
11-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Always show your best stuff first.

I think one of the best things in there is that plane and the jeep. The animation on the jeep skidding is really well done.

I think the water part can go out with most of the bridge part.

You know I laughed pretty fn hard when I saw that ..argh forgot his name from that kids program.. doing that gym stunt and then it going into matrix slowmo.

Yah so.. I have seen people with a 10 sec demo reel but they put 1000 hours into that one effect scene and getting a nice job. I dont know.. maybe you should do the same O.o?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.