PDA

View Full Version : Auto Clone not working?

Ben Sones
10-25-2004, 08:21 PM
All right, I've never used auto clone before, so I figured I'd try it out on an old 3D render of mine. But I can't get it to work! I followed the Help instructions precisely, opened my image, cloned it, made sure that the clone source was set to the original image, selected the clone brush that I wanted (clone color on)... but the auto clone option is grayed out in the Effects/Esoterica menu (the Auto Van Gogh option is also grayed out). Is there something I'm missing here? If I paint with my current brush, it clones the original image just fine. Is there something else that I need to do to enable to auto clone option?

Jinbrown
10-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Make sure the Painter IX or Painter 8 Colors palette's Clone Color icon is depressed.

In earlier versions, make sure the Colors section's Clone Color box is checked.

nafa
10-26-2004, 02:25 AM
In my experiment, autocloning does not work with all clone brushes. However, I found at least these works:

Van Gogh Cloner
Pencil sketch cloner
Impressionist cloner

There must be others. I also found that oil brush cloner and bristle brush clone do not work.

mokba
10-29-2004, 04:10 AM
So far my autoclone experience has been similar to Ben. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I can open a few files and it works beautifully. Open another and try it and it is no go. I have dutifully followed Jin's suggestion regarding the clone color button but this doesn't seem to guarentee that autoclone will be highlighted under the esoterica choices. Having tried to find a common thread to when it works and when it doesn't I have to go with the thought that it works when it wants to or only has so many autoclones at the ready before you have to shut down the software and restart. Any ideas would be appreciated. mokba

sand dragon
10-29-2004, 09:58 PM
It is true that the Auto-clone feature only works for some variants, but if you ensure that (as Jin mentioned), the Clone Color icon is depressed (Painter IX) or Clone Color box is checked (earlier versions), you can use auto-clone with many more (but not all) variants by using a three key shortcut (Command +Shift +Z on the Mac or Control +Shift +Z on the PC).

If you are particularly interested in this feature (and also the possibility of random dab placement, with or without Clone Color), I have developed this to a much more advanced level as follows;

As far as I am aware, the ability to randomly auto paint dabs in Painter is not documented in the manuals. The feature is closely related to auto-clone
(although does not clone color by default) and is accessed (in conjunction with a suitable variant) via a 3-key shortcut; Command + Shift + Z on the Mac (Control + Shift + Z on the PC I think).

When the above key combination is pressed (in association with a suitable variant), the canvas begins to fill with individual brush strokes until the process is halted by the user clicking in the image.

The problem with the above method is that the canvas can fill very quickly. However, after discovering that the number of individual brush dabs can be user defined in a script (between 1 and 1000000000), the ball was set in motion to build a scripted dab random placement system with user selectable variables. The whole system (including preset dab number scripts) can be run from scripts accessed via. a custom palette.

Dab variables are as follows;

Dab placement (internal).
(Dab placement is also selection aware).
HSV/ RGB color variability.
Color variability from current gradient.
Color variability from color set.
Angle range of dabs.
Size range of dabs.

A separate layer can be used for each dab placement run if desired.
The dab squeeze, maximum size and opacity can also be user selected before each dab run.

The individual dab placement runs can be recorded as scripts in association with different variants and combined together as one script. With a little editing, this script can be run to automatically paint a different randomly dabbed image each time the respective custom palette script icon is pressed, in any previously opened canvas.

The feature seems ideal for backgrounds, random distressing (scratches, creases etc) and wonderfully textured works in combination with impasto variants. I'm sure there will be many other uses still to
be found.

Please click the respective links below to download the resources;

Auto-Dab scripts system for Painter 6 onwards (PC version); click here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.gell/Download_Files/PC_Dab_Scripts.zip)

Auto-Dab scripts system for Painter 6 onwards (Mac version); click here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.gell/Download_Files/Mac_Dab_Scripts.sit)

Associated brush library of captured dab variants to use with the scripts (Painter 7 onwards); click here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.gell/Download_Files/P7_Sample_Brushes.zip)

Note, I haven't actually tested the scripts in Painter 6, but hopefully they should work OK.

In Painter IX, it is important when running scripts via custom palettes that the asociated script libraries are placed individually at the top level of your Painter IX User folder, and not in the Painter IX application folder.

David

mokba
10-30-2004, 10:34 PM
David, thanks for the great info. I will play with the scripts and see where I get. I still get the same behavior I mentioned earlier, of sometimes having autoclone work or not, regardless of any keyboard shortcut I use. Maybe I can improve my chances using the script angle method. Thanks again, mokba

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.