PDA

View Full Version : Help!!I think my computer blew up!!!

videl
10-25-2004, 10:58 AM
Ok so I built a new system this weekend, Athllon64 3500+, MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, all in a cooler master case, with an Antec true power 550 watt power supply. Everything was working fine, perfectly. Then I plugged in my ipod into the top firewire port and then my screens went blank as if my computer wasent even on, but it was still running. I looked at my ipod and it wasent working so I reset it, and now it just displays the apple logo, but doesnt do anything else. Now, I dont give a damn about the ipod, but my computer is waht I'm worried about. I checked the diagnostics led's and came to discover that according to the led's, the cpu is damaged or not installed correctly. Since everything was running fine before I take it that my cpu is messed up. Here's the funny thing the computer was still on with the messed up cpu and later I manually turned the computer on and off, and pulled out the cpu to inspect it, while it was running with the cpu installed it suddenly turned off completly on it's own. Now it wont turn on at all!!!

This is what I think happened correct me if im wrong. The front firewire port has no way of powering electricity and therefor caused a short when the ipod requested power as soon as it was plugged in to it. This is what im left to ponder, did the short completely damage my power supply and if it did, could that have fried the processor as well? If it didnt fry the processor and only damaged the psu, could the damaged psu cause the diagnostics led's to show a damaged processor read, maybe cause lack of power to the motherboard and/or the entire system?

Right now I am furious after spending my friday and saturday nights building this system and having it run perfect only to be ruined by my damn ipod. I am praying it is only a psu, and nothing else, I really need this system right now, to make matters worse. Sorry for the long post everyone, any info is greatly appreciated, if you need any more details let me know,thanks in advance, im going to cry my self to sleep now. Videl.

imashination
10-25-2004, 11:10 AM
Your front firewire port is a 4 pin version, it doesnt suply power so therefore the ipod can request whatever power it wants, it wont get any.

videl
10-25-2004, 11:18 AM
That makes sense but why did it immediatly kill the computer as soon as it was plugged in and also kill the ipod as well? On a side not, the ipod has a wierd smell coming from the headphone jack, I'm guessing fried ipod internals.

Vertizor
10-25-2004, 04:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that's a 6-pin FW port, that's the only FW connector type that will fit in iPods. The 4-pin version is much smaller and won't fit anyway. Trust me, that firewire port WAS powering your iPod. There was power going through that wire.

lightman
10-25-2004, 06:10 PM
You said that you just built the system this weekend,so you have not had anything else pluged into the front firewire port right?

I would double check to make sure that you did not accidently plug the front firewire port from the case into one of the usb headers on your motherboard instead of the firewire header, it's easily done. If you did well sorry to tell you but the mother board is proberly fried.

videl
10-25-2004, 08:03 PM
I would double check to make sure that you did not accidently plug the front firewire port from the case into one of the usb headers on your motherboard instead of the firewire header, it's easily done. In a state of shock I puiled both the usb and FW from the headers and im not sure where each was but I think that you may be right. If this is the case 1) would a fried motherboard cause the PSU to not power on? And 2)Is my processor still ok, because when I pulled it out it looked fine, would I have seen any physical damage to the processor if it was fried as well? I initially thought that there was power going threw a wire it wasent supposed to, causing a short, and in return, damaged the PSU and frying my ipod. But now im thinking it is just a fried MB or could it be both?

VERTIZOR: No nothing was in the FW port yet. The ipod never got a chance to charge. As soon as I plugged my ipod into the FW port all of this happened, including my ipod becoming fried as well.

Thanks for the replies everybody!

lots
10-25-2004, 08:23 PM
1) would a fried motherboard cause the PSU to not power on? Yes. In most modern motherboards, the switch to turn the PSU on, is controlled by the motherboard. When you press the button on the front of your case, it completes a circuit (connects the green wire on the main power cable to ground, the black wires) thus powering up the PSU. If you want to see if the PSU still runs, disconnect it from the computer completly and pull it out. Then take a paper clip and touch it to the green and black wires on the end of the 20 pin plug. If the PSU is plugged into an outlet, it will start. NOTE: it will only run while the paper clip is touching the green and black wires.

2)Is my processor still ok, because when I pulled it out it looked fine, would I have seen any physical damage to the processor if it was fried as well? If a processor is damaged, it does not always have to have any physical signs (IE: burn marks or what have you) This is especially true in the case of Pentium4s and Athlon64s. Since the chip its self is covered by a metal casing, you cant actually SEE the die and tell if there is anything wrong. The best way to find out if the CPU is fine, is to plug it into a known working computer and see if it'll start up.

Also if you did plug the firewire header into the usb header on the motherboard, that could have verywell done it. USB and Firewire both use different current and voltage standards, thus it would have likely overloaded whatever device was plugged in, and probably short out a few things on the mobo.

videl
10-25-2004, 08:45 PM
Hey thanks lots I will try out the PSU trick you mentioned. I think I may have switched the USB and FW's. If I didnt however and they were correctly installed, how else could this have happened?And if the motherboard did short out Im guessing this could have ruined the other components like CPU,RAM or Hard drives? Please tell me no.

I just checked the PSU(thanks to LOTS), its fine it started right up along with the HDD's. One other thing, if the short fried the motherboard, which sounds like what happened, what about the diagnostic LED's? They gave me a read of a damaged cpu or not properlly installed, would this read be accurate ?

lots
10-25-2004, 09:05 PM
Heh. I wouldnt have left things plugged into the PSU, like I mentioned in my post, I wanted you to completly remove it from the system.. But oh well ;)

Anyway, a short caused by having your FW and USB swapped could have resulted in any number of things. The CPU and/or RAM COULD have been damaged. Any other devices in the system may have well been damaged too. Its really just a trial and error process to see what works and what doesnt. I would disconnect all non essential things to have the computer POST. This means disconnect hard drives cd drives all but one stick of ram, and anything you've got in the PCI slots (sound cards or what have you). Just leave the video card ram and cpu plugged into the motherboard. Then switch it on, see if it gets passed the initial system boot (BIOS and all that). Since you wont have any hard drives or cd drives plugged in, the computer should tell you the OS is missing, or something similar. If that works, it most likely means the fried device is one of the things you unplugged. If it still doesnt boot, it obviously means you havnt found the culprit :)

If you've got another system, try and use your video card, or ram in it to see if they are ok (assuming they are compatable). Which should leave the only 2 variables left: CPU or Motherboard. I'm guessing you dont exactly have a secondary motherboard to use, or a different CPU, so that will be rather hard to test :)

novadude
10-25-2004, 10:30 PM
Be careful recommending that little trick around here. I tried, and was told it wasn't safe :)
Anyways, some of the new PSU's require a load to power on. Just leave it screwed into the case and a hd or something. Just use common sense, and don't grab the paper clip while the PSU is on.

Then again, it might just be the Antec PSU that flaked out and died

Rabid pitbull
10-25-2004, 11:57 PM
I agree recommending such a test should really not be done. At this stage I would only recommend taking it to a professional electronic technician. They will be able to salvage any parts without damaging anything else. My prediction is mobo is definitly dead, and hopefully that is all. Any more tinkering and this will get very expensive fast.

videl
10-26-2004, 12:19 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone I'm off to work for the moment but when I get home I will begin the trial and error precedure as LOTS had mentioned(thanks again btw). I was able to get a new motherboard so ill be taking it apart and building all over again if everything else works.

novadude
10-26-2004, 12:58 AM
That was slightly sarcastic, rabid pitbull. He should absolutely test his PSU first. It is the easiest thing to do, especially if he is planning on swapping mobo's. If his PSU is bad, he can forget installing the new mobo before a new PSU is installed.

lots
10-26-2004, 04:24 AM
If it does need a load.. I wouldnt use a HD .. insted I'd probably try out a fan. HD's have sensitive data.. not to mention they're more costly than a fan ;)

Anyway, I've never run into issues starting up softpowered PSUs in this way. Granted I've only done it to see if the things actually worked and never in an operational system.

Here's some info regarding the concerns brought up..

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=388740

They've got a bit of info about PSU testers and safty and effects of long term use. And a few links.

novadude
10-26-2004, 04:54 AM
Good luck finding a fan that will draw over 20w of power :)
If you can't (read, unless you have a 150mm industrial fan) find something to sufficiently load the PSU, the PSU won't regulate power and could fry whatever is plugged into it.

lots
10-26-2004, 06:27 AM
Well bunches of fans then ;)

In either case I wouldnt put something valuble on the line.

videl
10-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Well good news everyone, Im happy to say that everything is now working fine. I'm lucky that the only damage done was to the motherboard and after that was replaced my system is up and running wonderful again. I have learned my lesson when bulding a system to absolutly check ever little thing before booting for the first time. Live and learn is what they say and I'm glad that this lesson has only cost me an extra motherboard and nothing else, especially when it could have been much worse. Thanks to all of those who helped me out, I could not have gotten threw this without the responces and advise of those who have replied. CGtalkers are the best!!!:thumbsup: Thanks again everybody!!
Videl
P.S> I got a new ipod as well thanks to costco's unbeatable return policy, hehe.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.