PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Trailer For "Spirited Away" (quicktime)

hypercube
08-20-2002, 10:27 AM
Hope this is relevant enough, there is CG in it, and cg ink/paint..

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/spirited_away.html

As a warning, it shows considerably more than the original trailers, but I don't think it'll make it any less amazing when seeing it here finally.

It's not available on legitemate import DVD yet, is it?

Anyway, just passing this along and passing by, back to being spirited away by being very sick and working..

LucentDreams
08-20-2002, 10:48 AM
Mana oh man Can't wait for Disney to start shippy the Ghibli Films, nice to see they are starting with Sen Chihiro, but what a terrible trailer, Having seen the movie fourtimes, I cna tell you they have a lot of good spoiilers inthere, talk about sloppy trailer makin, have the movie is given away. Still definitely can't wait, as the only english version I have seen is an illegal (I assume fandubbed) version since as you mentioned there are no legit english versions in north america, France has a released vershion but I doubt it has english subtitles, still it is so enjoyable, watching it in Japanese with no subtitles (a school mate has the Japanese DVD) in our schools theatre twice was fantastic, what an amazing film, I believe this is Myazaki's best, Got the perfect combo of Ghibli's amazing spirit of a child and fantasy mixed with their amazing drama and action. Its like taking the best of Totoro and Nausicaa and putting it into one. Funny how different Mononoke e hime is compared to all myazaki and ghiblis other films for its more mature story and characters. anyways can't wait.

lildragon
08-20-2002, 12:11 PM
looks very good, digging for some more info right now ;)

red_oddity
08-20-2002, 12:42 PM
Actually, what most of you guys don't seem to know is this...

The original Japanese Ghibli DVD's contain all audio tracks, meaning...you buy the Japanese DVD and get a bunch of different spoken languages on the same DVD (Japanese English French), same goes for the subtitles...

As for Spirited Away, i believe it is or will be available soon.

And DON'T wait for the Disney releases, trust me, i own own the Disney version of Mononoke Hime and i must say (and i've seen it on 3 film festivals as none Disney versions (before Disney got it's grubby fat fingers on it )), i've NEVER ever in my life seen such a piss poor translation job on subtitles (let alone the horrible english dub)

baby
08-20-2002, 12:43 PM
U mean it hasn't been released in the states yet ?!?

it seems so far away for me now !!!!

It's amazing !!!!

(but I prefer Totoro and Porco Rosso ;) )

You can fin the Japanese DVD in a lot of shops here !!! :bounce:

with english subtitles...but no english track if I remember...

Sangotten
08-20-2002, 01:28 PM
That is great, I love his movies and now this one.
I like the fact that the story is not that of a juicy Disney nature....

Anyway I'm looking forward to this one!!!

dingo
08-20-2002, 01:42 PM
the disney version executive producer is John Lasseter, so maybe that is a good sign that the translation will be done well.

Freed
08-20-2002, 02:02 PM
Well, I saw this a few months ago.

I have to say it is damn good. I was very very impressed!!!

The animation is 1st class, his imagination has no limits.

A must see!!!

LucentDreams
08-20-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by red_oddity
Actually, what most of you guys don't seem to know is this...

The original Japanese Ghibli DVD's contain all audio tracks, meaning...you buy the Japanese DVD and get a bunch of different spoken languages on the same DVD (Japanese English French), same goes for the subtitles...

As for Spirited Away, i believe it is or will be available soon.

And DON'T wait for the Disney releases, trust me, i own own the Disney version of Mononoke Hime and i must say (and i've seen it on 3 film festivals as none Disney versions (before Disney got it's grubby fat fingers on it )), i've NEVER ever in my life seen such a piss poor translation job on subtitles (let alone the horrible english dub)

Spirited away should be out very soon, and as for the DVD's yes many of the films in the box set have english subs and dubs on them but not all the films (most of the smaller not feature pieces don't for example) And as for the miramax north american release, Well they got an amazing cast and blew it big time, but seriously whens the last time you saw an anime with a good english dub? Metropolis? well NTB but still not great, Macross plus? nope not there either. Seriously to get the most out of your Anime and especially Ghibli movies wathc them with Japanese and have english subtitles, trust me Grave of fireflies is ten times more powerful just with the infleciton in the Japanese actors voices. Unfotunately Disney won't be releasing that one you can try and find the hard to get Central Park Media one but it cost me $60 canadian which is a lot for a DVD with no extra festurees other than character gallery. And yeah the translatioin of the subtitles isn't top notch either, funny thing is the english dub and the subtitles don't match either :)

Lildragon here is all the info you need: http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/disney/#works

SpaceRabbit
08-20-2002, 03:05 PM
I'm really biased, but I really have to recommend Spirited Away to any american artist involved in the medium of animation or film, or any visual story telling medium. It is a brilliant film, as most all of Miyuzaki's works are. I've seen most all of his films, and they are truly inspirational. I hope Disney will release some of his older works here in the US, they are brilliant. Spirited Away is availible in Japan on DVD, so if you have a region 2 player, you can purchase the DVD on e-bay. I believe it will be released in US theatres in september.

coCoKNIght
08-20-2002, 03:06 PM
Great movie!

I' ve seen it on an openair-cinema

skello
08-20-2002, 03:52 PM
Some of the environments were created and rendered out with
XSI 2.0's awesome cell shaders....check it out here

http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Mag/Cs/VOLUME_2/Issue_1/Ghibli.htm
http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Mag/Cs/VOLUME_2/Issue_1/media/Ghibli/3.jpg

SokaR
08-20-2002, 03:57 PM
This Movie is one of the best Ghibli did! I love the story and all the details in it!:buttrock:

When u look aroung u can find some rips from that movie..:bounce:

Dominique
08-20-2002, 05:43 PM
This is the best feature lenght I've seen since the Iron Giant, the story, animation, design,..., just the non-conformistic way of Miyazakis working is wonderfull, ...,
Disney knows that, Pixar and PDI as well,
His films do very fine in Europe, children prefer them over Disney and others (Ice-Age was an exception, this was funny),
Jokes are visual, fine,..., not grotesque, stories are magic, there's depth, lacking in US-features today. Relations between characters are rude and fair, not 'sweetned out to make cry'.
The film isn't 'OverCut',
Design and composition are kept fresh. (anyone who looked through "the art of Monsters" can see there's something that passed away).

This film has his place on the shelf beside 'Nightmare Before Christmass' and 'The Yellow Submarine'.

HapZungLam
08-20-2002, 07:41 PM
I watched this movie. Great animation. no doult.

however, i there is alot of japanese god and myths that i won't know. therefor there has alot of god and funny joke that i don't understand.

compare to princess mononoke. i like mononoke better

HapZungLam
08-20-2002, 07:44 PM
i dont' like disney.

they always think they are the best :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :annoyed:

baby
08-20-2002, 08:01 PM
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

santiago
08-20-2002, 08:29 PM
Looks amazing!
I agree with HapZungLam in that I don't know much about Japanese mysticism or religion, and that might take away enjoyment from watching such a film. I think that one of the reasons why Final Fantasy tanked was because it was intended to project that religious/mystic universe to the rest of the world, instead of basing the story more on the characters.
That is so my opinion, I don't know much about anime or Japanese culture, so take it as it is :)

If we switched places with Asia, and produced a "Final Fantasy" of our own. Say we tried to project a story based on, for example, Christianity. How successul would that be in Asia?
I'm a Christian, so I'd love to do something like that, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the movie didn't have success.

I loved Mononoke and Totoro, so I'm really looking forward to Spirited Away.
I kinda slept halfway through Nausicaa though. My friends said "No way!, that movie rocks!" Maybe I was just tired.

baby
08-20-2002, 08:39 PM
don't worry...I don't know anything about japanese religion and it was pure joy !!!

Nahaz
08-20-2002, 10:21 PM
Really looking forward to this one. Been a Miyazaki fan since Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

urgaffel
08-20-2002, 10:23 PM
A friend of mine got the japanese dvd, and it was pink. What I mean is, all the white colours had a red tint to them. Sometimes white was pink, sometimes only a red hue. Somewhere along the line they screwed up the dvd master. You can circumvent it by adjusting the colours on your tv/monitor, but still... Just so you know.

Wigaru Wiyamoto
08-21-2002, 02:54 AM
Woo! Now we need Nausicaa on DVD.

baby
08-21-2002, 07:15 AM
Myazaki made personnaly the choice of putting this pink tint on the DVD version...

yup sounds weirds but he said it !!!!

flawedprefect
08-21-2002, 07:48 AM
:thumbsdow Does anyone else think it is sacreligeous for Disney to take an Anime production and release it under their own label? I guess I'm not a pureist about much, but this made me feel cheapened by my love of anime.
Did Old Walt run out of western fairy tales?

baby
08-21-2002, 08:02 AM
Because without them U could be still waiting for those movies !!!!

red_oddity
08-21-2002, 08:14 AM
The only reason those filthy greedy bastards at Disney (did i mention i don't like Disney?) release this one is because it is the best watched movie in Japan ever.
Heck Disney didn't even want to release any Ghibli after the commercial disaster of Mononoke Hime.

I for one am a person who will not give a penny to Disney for this blatant commercial rape, i rather pay twice the amount of money for a proper Ghibli import.

There, i said it, and i'm done raving now...:annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

sdwx
08-21-2002, 08:17 AM
I'm a newcomer to GCTalk and a long time Miyazaki fan (ever since I saw a badly dubbed and edited Laputa on British TV, despite the bad handling it still blew me away) :buttrock:

Here's some background to Spirited Away...

The original Japanese title is Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi ( literally 'The Spiriting Away of Sen and Chihiro') - you'll need to see the film to figure out who Sen and Chihiro are ;).

Its the biggest movie ever in Japan, when it was released it broke the previous record for an animated film (set by Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke) and surpassed Titanic's record with ease. The R2 dvd release (in July) was the biggest ever preorder for a dvd/video in Japan (5.5 million units).

In my humble opinion Spirited Away is a masterpiece, one of the best animated movies I've seen - the story, the animation and the music are all amazing. Like all Miyazaki films they have a degree of intimacy and depth that very few Western animations (and live actions) can acheive. It may be cultural, which is a shame for us, but the insight into humanity that Miyazaki-san illustrates is humbling.

This is also the first Miyazaki film to be fully digital - the linework/backgrounds was scanned and colored/edited on computers and integrated with CG backdrops (as mentioned, they used SoftImage) and visual effects for very subtle sequences such as a view from a train, transparencies on the Koanishi character or a pan up a building facade.

The R2 DVD is available and can be bought from CDJapan, as mentioned is does have a red tint when viewed on a PC Monitor. However Studio Ghibli maintain that the dvd print was taken from the original digital print and is intended for primary viewing on Plasma and hi definition TV screens using standalone DVD players. In Japan the majority of DVD's viewed are on players, not PC's...

BTW Laputa: Castle in the Sky will be released on DVD in Japan in October.

http://www.nausicaa.net - the best resource on the net for Miyazaki works, it also has a Mailing List which I can recommend to anyone who loves Miyazaki/Ghibli works.. They have an extensive Spirited Away section and cover all of Miyazaki's films in great detail...

SDWX

Wigaru Wiyamoto
08-21-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by flawedprefect
:thumbsdow Does anyone else think it is sacreligeous for Disney to take an Anime production and release it under their own label? I guess I'm not a pureist about much, but this made me feel cheapened by my love of anime.
Did Old Walt run out of western fairy tales?

It says "Disney presents a Studio Ghibli Flim." And the title says "MIYAZAKI'S Spirited Away."

More than anything it's encouraging that Disney wants to put their name on it, rather than hiding it like they did with Princess Mononoke (by dumping it on Miramax).

urgaffel
08-21-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by sdwx
The R2 DVD is available and can be bought from CDJapan, as mentioned is does have a red tint when viewed on a PC Monitor. However Studio Ghibli maintain that the dvd print was taken from the original digital print and is intended for primary viewing on Plasma and hi definition TV screens using standalone DVD players. In Japan the majority of DVD's viewed are on players, not PC's...

When people compared the DVD with earlier trailers and how it looked in a theater, the dvd has a redder tint than it should have. There was a lot of grief over that fact. I think that Ghibli stated it was supposed to be this way, but almost no one believes it. In order to fix it they would have to take back the largest pre-order ever and the chance of that happening is so small it's laughable. And there is still a reddish tint to it when watched on tv monitors with a stand alone dvd player.

Lee3dee
08-23-2002, 02:02 AM
Please! disney don't ruin another Miyazaki masterpiece by providing a bad dub with deleted scenes. Some of the scenes in the japanese version maybe a little scary for the PG rating. I wonder if Disney has deleted those. Lets hope the DVD will be intact for everyone to see the film in its original form.

Wigaru Wiyamoto
08-23-2002, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Hirigashi
Please! disney don't ruin another Miyazaki masterpiece by providing a bad dub with deleted scenes. Some of the scenes in the japanese version maybe a little scary for the PG rating. I wonder if Disney has deleted those. Lets hope the DVD will be intact for everyone to see the film in its original form.

Miyazaki has full editorial control of his films through Disney. Any changes have to be approved by him first. After what happened to Nausicaa he's pretty reluctant to let anyone chop up his films.

LucentDreams
08-23-2002, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Wigaru Wiyamoto

Miyazaki has full editorial control of his films through Disney. Any changes have to be approved by him first. After what happened to Nausicaa he's pretty reluctant to let anyone chop up his films.

Don't forget his comments on the release of monoke, he wasn't to pleased in how that was handled either. I remeber him saying that Studioghibli would not release another feature in theatres in North America, only Video and DVD, which is partially why I am so happy about this.

Wigaru Wiyamoto
08-23-2002, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Kaiskai

Don't forget his comments on the release of monoke, he wasn't to pleased in how that was handled either. I remeber him saying that Studioghibli would not release another feature in theatres in North America, only Video and DVD, which is partially why I am so happy about this.

I've certainly heard nothing about this. Any source?

LucentDreams
08-23-2002, 05:41 AM
can't seem to find it, but it was on Nausicaa.net way back just under a year ago as it was just after I moved to vancouver.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.