PDA

View Full Version : opteron and 3dsmax

henkalders
10-25-2004, 07:04 AM
Hello,
I did read the threads about opteron versus xeon with interest, because I have to make the same dicission:will it become a xeon or a opteron dual configuration.
I tend to choose for the opteron; the price versus xeon and the fact of 64bit for the future.
What I,m not sure of, is if 3dsmax 5.1 will perform well with AMD.
Is there anything against it.
Would appreciate cooments on this.
:) henkalders

jcbray
10-25-2004, 07:17 AM
I think both perform very well, the Opteron v. Xeon merely showing which is better in comparison. Wait for someone a lil' more sure though :P

Argyll
10-25-2004, 07:26 AM
I've just finished beta testing 3ds 7 and from what I recall the feeling in the forum among testers was that Xeon was the way to go for twin CPU MB's though guys who'd upgraded to Opteron's were very happy with them. Personally I think I'd stick with Xeon as there are likely to be fewer issues but I suppose that in the end it all comes back to bangs for your bucks.

elvis
10-25-2004, 08:11 AM
From my own direct experience and benchmarking, Opterons will give you higher performance within your viewport and during modelling. Xeons give better render times for the default scanline renederer.

So which is more important to you: ease of modelling, or render times?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.