PDA

View Full Version : Temperature of CPU, MB, HDs...

kiri
10-25-2004, 12:23 AM
Hi,
The other day my computer suddenly rebooted for no apparent reason, and after rebooting went to a blue screen. It was quite a hot day, so I thought it might be heat related and turned it off for the rest of the day.
Anyway, it seemed fine that night when I turned it on, but I have now installed some monitoring software to check the temperatures of the motherboard etc. (MBM5 and Everest).

It seems that after being on for a while (an hour or more) the temperatures reach the following values (Celsius):

According to MBM5
Case: 70+
CPU Diode: 80+
CPU Socket: 40

According to Everest
Motherboard: 40
CPU: 70+
CPU Diode: 80+
HD1(Seagate): 50
HD2(Seagate): 50

The temperature for the CPU Diode seems far too high to me, is this something I should be concerned about? I dont think it was running this high in the past, so is there some reason it may have become so hot recently?
All the fans appear to be working...

Here are the specs of what Im running if it helps.
MB: Asus A7N8X Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2000mhz)

Any advice appreciated, thanks

UrbanFuturistic
10-25-2004, 12:42 AM
Ouch! Tell me that's Farenheit!

Your CPU fan may be running, but it may not be running well, IIRC my CPU fan runs at about 3800-3900 RPM for an Athlon XP 2000+ (1.667GHz). If your fan is clogged with dirt/dust (this does occur over time) it may be slowed down to some degree.

Ideally, your CPU should be running at about 50 degrees Celcius.

Mind, your case temp seems a little high also, have you added any new hardware recently that might be restricting airflow? Have you got case fans to force air curculation?

The fist thing you should do is use a can of compressed air to blow through the fan and heatsink to force all the dust out (and there will be dust) and a vacuum to suck all the dust up, also make sure all other cooling fans (case, power supply, etc) are working efficiently.

hth, Paul

Dementor3D
10-25-2004, 02:51 AM
OMG!!!

These temperatures are too high...
have a look at your fans!

On AMD-System CPU-Temp 70+C is not good...

nafa
10-25-2004, 06:25 AM
"So, if the maximum die temperature is 95 degrees, anything over 55 begins to get worrying if you hope to be using the same processor two or three years from now. Over 65 is pushing into live fast, die young territory. The processor wont burn out unless things get really out of hand, but the life expectancy reduces exponentially. At maximum core temperature, it may be down to one or two thousand hours according to the page at www.digit-life.com/articles /pentium4athlonxpthermalmanagement."

Excerpt from PC Plus, a UK website.

kiri
10-25-2004, 10:15 AM
thanks for the replies.
I havent added any new hardware recently except for a new power supply (because my old one died). Before the power supply died the fan had been REALLY noisy, i dunno why.
But the strange thing is that the new one also is sometimes noisy when booting up, but then seems to quiet down after its finished booting...

Anyway, I took off the side panel of the case to try and cool things down a bit, and its helping somewhat (temps under 70 now), but both case, and diode are still around 65...

I'll see if I can get some compressed air to blow out some dust, other than that im not too sure what I should do (?)
I dont know how I can check the fans really... I mean they 'look' like they are working. Unfortunately I cant seem to get MBM to give me readouts on all the fans. Its only showing one fan which is running at 7180rpm.

Maybe I should replace the CPU fan?

thanks

UrbanFuturistic
10-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Compressed air, you should be able to get from photography shops (aerosol style, usually with a straw to direct a la WD40).

If you go into your BIOS settings on bootup you should be able to find a section that gives you status information and tells you which fan is going at what speed. Of course, you might be wanting to get some case fans (just guessing you don't have any) as your case temp is probably contributing substantially to the CPU temp; won't get much cooling blowing hot air on a hot surface.

As for the PSU fans throttling, this is perfectly normal on bootup; some devices, especially hard drives and such, require extra power on startup to get things going. I know some (if not most/all) hard drives come with settings to not spin up the moment they have power so as not to cause problems in systems with weedy PSUs.

Of course, it's probably best to avoid messing with the CPU fan until other avenues have been exhausted as even the most experienced techie has been known to fry the odd chip by accident.

regards, Paul

Tommy5547
10-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Try buy some good Silver Pasta and clean the space between the CPU and(and on) the fan.

Apply thin layer of Silver Pasta and install the fan.

Or simply as you said - replace the fan.

lv-88
10-25-2004, 08:18 PM
yes, put some new silver paste (artic silver 5) and see if it makes any difference, if not then you'll probobly need to change the fan

Goon
10-25-2004, 08:21 PM
but make sure it is a very thin layer of thermal paste. Otherwise it will act more as insulation than a conductor.

I just assembled my first entire computer, and put way too much paste on. So it ended up running at about 50 degrees celcius just idling and 75 under heavy load. I wiped off all of the paste and applied a very thin layer and the cpu temp immediately dropped twenty degrees.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

lots
10-25-2004, 08:44 PM
Yeah... thats hot. Real hot :P. Athlon XP's "max rated" temperature is 90 C.. I'm somewhat surpised that there isnt some perminant damage... ;)

What kinda heat sink do you have? Dusting the case out with compressed air is a good idea too..

kiri
10-25-2004, 11:01 PM
OK, I have a fan on my cpu, one in my power supply, and one on the case. Plus the one on the graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce4 ti 4200).
Strange thing is, only the cpu fan shows up with a reading in bios, the bios doesnt seem to be able to read the others.
I've worked out that the noisy fan is actually the one on the graphics card, and now there is a strange metallic random ticking kind of sound coming from it. Kinda like when you turn on a kettle and it is heating up..

I'm not sure what kind of heat sink I have... is that the silver square shaped thing with lots of long bits sticking out of it? lol

I'll see if I can get some compressed air today and give that I try, then I'll try the arctic silver. (thanks for the instructions Goon).
Just seems strange that both my cpu AND case are running such high temps..
Ive just started the computer now and the case is already 59 degrees, and CPU is at 62.

anyway, thanks for the replies, I'll keep you updated

M.Rogne
10-25-2004, 11:31 PM
Or, make a frying-pan mod of your computer. Since you already have the side-panel off, it could be a decent solution. I don't know, merely sugesting...
Couldn't resist the tempation. Sorry.
The issue seems serious, so I'd do as suggested earlier, apply a thin layer of cooling paste.

Tommy5547
10-26-2004, 09:47 AM
when applying silver paste, it should just cover the dents and cracks (although they are VERY small) on the cpu and the heatsink. Use a credit card or something similar to apply it. And no fingerprints!

kiri
10-26-2004, 09:49 AM
ok, i got the compressed air, but I cant seem to work out how to get my heatsink off the cpu..
Ive tried to find a catch or something but it just wont come off... I ended up unscrewing the fan from the top of it, and then blowing some air into the heatsink while still attached, but i think I'd get better results if I could remove it... Can anyone give me any suggestions how to get it off?
thanks

kiri
10-26-2004, 02:24 PM
ok, just an update.
I''ve been running my pc for several hours now after blowing the dust out as best I could, and the temps seem pretty steady:
cpu socket: 44
case: 54
cpu diode: 51

Still a bit high I would say, but much better. Although admittedly I still have the side panel off...
Really not too sure why the case temp is so high, I have a case fan installed, and with the side panel off I would think the airflow would be fine.

lv-88
10-26-2004, 02:28 PM
those sensorns usually don't give you a accurate temperature,
however, removeing the heatsink shouldn't be hard at all, usually they come off by pressing a metal bar or something or unscrew it if it's screwed to the socket...

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.