PDA

View Full Version : Render output ?? Best file type for for animations?

benjicon
08-20-2002, 04:01 AM
Hey there fellow poly pushers !

A question to those that may know .

I have an animation 1:20sec long , its my first character animation assignment , I need to know what file type I should render it out to.

The teachers at college suggested rendering out to an image sequence then compileing the sequence in QT Pro or Premiere.

I have been rendering out to TGA's then compiling them , but I end up with massive file sizes that play back all clunky like , then when I compress them I end up with crap quality .

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

benjicon.

P.S. Using Max 4.26

Nemises
08-21-2002, 12:04 AM
I also output to Sequential TGA's or TIFF's.....but if I need to export to an AVI that people can actually see (but doesnt have to be broadcast quality), I'll use the DiVX codec..

DiVX is an exceptional mpeg compression codec (currently at version 5.something)...... 1:20 at 640X480 should be as small as 1MB in size.

Only problem is, whoever is whatching it will also need to download the DiVX codec (www.divx.com)

benjicon
08-21-2002, 12:47 AM
Thanks Nemises,

I have received a few different responses from different places , "DLF" was a big help , do you use this ? NZ and AUS mail group , most helpful resource I have ever come accross . dlf.org.au , make sure you have enoughroom for 20-50 emails a day .

As far as the comopressors , I got the DIVX Pro application from the Divx web site , doing as much reading as I can so as I can get it looking nice , would like to post it so people can tell me what they think , but dont have a URL people can download it from .

May have to sort something out later .

Thanks again dude .:thumbsup:

Rogue
08-22-2002, 03:13 AM
We render tgas at work for broadcast video. I'm sort of curious as to the 'standard' sequence files for the industry. I know that targas are common, but what other file types are used?

As for compiling lower res avi's, I use the divx codec. It's a great codec. I also like QT with the Sorenson3 codec. Many people knock QT and I'm not sure why. Movie trailers use it and are of decent resolution and looks fabulous. Plus you can scrub the animation flawlessly. Why do most people disapprove of QT?

Frinsklen
08-24-2002, 11:37 AM
Hi,

Rendering TGA's allows you to compile them to any format or codec again and again from a perfect quality source. If TGA's have too much size for you, try rendering JPG's at best quality, this looks almost perfect and the file size will decrease.

The codec you use, depends basically on your preference, but you should use the one most people can view. Quicktime and Divx are two of the most popular ones. Pick yours. :)

duncanjm
08-27-2002, 01:30 AM
Hi Y'all,

I've heard that TV stations prefer S-BETACAM for submissions.

So my question is: If I burn my animation to a Super-VCD (Yes, it is under 35 mins, so it will fit), then take my DVD player down to my local community network, will the DVD player's S-Video output combined with the Super-VCD be high enough quality to record onto the S_BETACAM deck?

When I play the S-VCD on my TV, there are no compression artifacts, and it looks as crisp and clear as I'd like it.

What about sound? Is the S-VCD sound stream stereo? What sample/bitrate is the sound on S-VCD? Anyone?

Thanks for any tips...
:D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.